Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-01-04, 06:43 PM   #46
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Hi Bradford, thanks for the reply.

I really feel like it's the edge of the saddle at the bottom if you know what I mean. I'm planning on going to the Durham juggling group thing on Tuesday so I'll hopefully be able to have a go on someone else's and see if the same pressure is going on. I think it was a cheap unicycle so it could very well be the seat. If it's the same on someone else's uni then at least I'll know it's me and can focus on fixing it.
Old 2017-01-04, 07:15 PM   #47
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRosie View Post

I really feel like it's the edge of the saddle at the bottom if you know what I mean. I'm planning on going to the Durham juggling group thing on Tuesday so I'll hopefully be able to have a go on someone else's and see if the same pressure is going on. I think it was a cheap unicycle so it could very well be the seat. If it's the same on someone else's uni then at least I'll know it's me and can focus on fixing it.
That sounds familiar. That's exactly what the crappy saddle I mentioned felt like, and it was really painful to ride. I'm sure it will be immediately apparent to experienced riders if that's the issue.

It's also great that you have a group to meet and ride with. After 30 years of riding alone, I've finally been riding with other people for the past 6 months in a local club, and it's really neat. While I still maintain that unicycling is a ultimately a personal journey, it's fun to have people to ride with. Also, arranging to ride with others is a great way not to flake out on much needed exercise!
Old 2017-01-04, 08:58 PM   #48
Adrian13
Unicyclist

Quote:
Thanks for that video, I love it!!!

Thanks for the support everyone. I've noticed that the upper inner thigh area is like purple with bruises so I'm wondering if everyone goes that or if I'm maybe mounting slightly wrong...
hey,
this same happened to me at the beginning (was very bad) I was holding my uni very strong with my thigh, as you become more confident you shouldn't have that problem anymore.

good luck! it is not as difficult as you think
Adrian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-04, 09:40 PM   #49
Regina Wrecks
Cylopic Menace to Society.

Let us all know how you fare at Durham please. I follow these threads avidly as a learner myself. I have been unicycling again, after twenty odd years, but in a few months I have acquired three cycles.... They are very addictive... !!
Old 2017-01-04, 09:52 PM   #50
UniRosie
Unicyclist

I'll definitely let you know how I fare in Durham, Regina...I'm sure it'll be amazing though, even if I'm awkward and just kind of watch

Yes, I tried my swimsuit on for the holiday I mentioned and I've been advised to get some shorts to swim in too, as the bruises are apparently a bit scary (maybe it was just my thighs).

Hopefully someone can give me advice about the seat when they see it/me in real life and can make a proper judgement.

In other news, I've found a premium spot to learn in my estate, it's a slight downward slope, road width but is a pavement and will be much easier to learn on than a teeny patio (I hope)
Old 2017-01-04, 09:54 PM   #51
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

Quote:

I will try and remember to throw some different saddles in the van for you to try on Tuesday. Everyone is different so it is good to try a few different ones.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-05, 07:38 AM   #52
UniRosie
Unicyclist

That would be amazing, Roger. Really looking forward to meeting you and the other people who go
Old 2017-01-05, 06:10 PM   #53
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Just spent an hour in my new practice space. Zero progress, if anything I went backwards in what little skill level I had. Time to go cook some tea and then maybe have another half hour or so tonight
Old 2017-01-05, 09:16 PM   #54
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

so you are riding backwards now... not bad.
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-05, 10:58 PM   #55
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Hahahaha, I wish!!
Old 2017-01-06, 12:06 AM   #56
Cousin Itt
Unicyclist

Everyone experiences going out to practice and actually doing worse. That's a completely normal part of learning that has happened to all of us.
Old 2017-01-06, 05:33 AM   #57
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Advice: I'm full of it!

Quote:
Zero progress, if anything I went backwards in what little skill level I had.
When I was learning, it took me more than the first 30 minutes to achieve what I'd done the previous day. At the beginning, my successes were few and far between, and as a result, I had few opportunities to reflect on what I was doing right. Learning was like a jigsaw puzzle, but I didn't have the picture on the box to guide me, and there were a lot of pieces. To get the initial pieces to click required trial and error. Later on, as pieces came together, aspects of the picture became clear, and the process accelerated.

Two bits of advice: One: If you're looking for a mantra, it might as well be "delayed gratification." Keep practicing, and when you learn, it will be soooo worth it. Second, if you're concerned about looking like an idiot in public, get over it. I had to take my pride and put it on the shelf. I received many concerned/patronizing comments from neighbors, particularly regarding my wildly flailing arms. Character building.

Sorry about your challenging day riding. Keep in mind, every UniRosie has its UniThornies!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 09:22 AM   #58
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Thanks so much for your kind words guys! Made me smile

A few bad days won't make me give up, I'm a computer programmer by day, I have many bad days - then (like unicycling) a day when everything works and I can't figure out why

In the area where I live, it's not so much about looking like an idiot, as it is some little ruffian pushing me over and hitting me over the head with the uni
Old 2017-01-06, 03:20 PM   #59
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
some little ruffian pushing me over and hitting me over the head with the uni
Not the typical danger I associate with unicycling!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 03:42 PM   #60
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Not the typical danger I associate with unicycling!
Haha, you don't live where I live

Tags
learning