Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-01-02, 01:24 PM   #31
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRosie View Post
I was told for the past 20 years of asking to behave and not to be silly, until my partner bought one, not knowing how often I'd asked for one
Congratulations on your accomplishments!
I'm glad your partner bought you a unicycle. You can still "behave" while riding one. As for "silly", well that's just a matter of opinion about who is being "silly". Enjoy and keep learning!
Old 2017-01-02, 04:34 PM   #32
UniRosie
Unicyclist

After another hour I am sore all over and the light is fading! No further progress, but still a big smile on my face
Old 2017-01-02, 08:52 PM   #33
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

I enjoy being silly. It is a hobby of mine.

Luckily my family appreciated this a long time ago. Although my sister calls me silly every time I break something.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-02, 09:10 PM   #34
UniRosie
Unicyclist

I've practically got a bed at the local hospital I'm there that often haha.

Roger, I'm not going to be able to come to Durham tomorrow, but plan to join you next week
Old 2017-01-03, 12:57 PM   #35
JerryAttrick
Age comes to those who wait

UniRosie - you started this thread with "I am ... 30 years old". As in a famous poem, "age shall not weary them", I started unicycling on my 50th birthday. There are plenty of other late starters. It's all in the mind. - Which reminds me, I must try and get the local unicycle hockey team going again!

Jerry
Old 2017-01-03, 01:31 PM   #36
Regina Wrecks
Cylopic Menace to Society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
Regina is East Anglia - it's me who is Devon. The nearest club to me is the Severn Wheelers in Bristol.
The reason I purchased a Municycle is because the intention is for me to ride along the grassy bit between the North Sea and the Nuclear Power station at Sizewell, about twenty miles South of Lowestoft. A decent distance, a couple or three miles or so, then back again on short grass to be fair. Reasonably flat and with few obstacles...???
Well, that is the ambition anyway, for the moment, I am happy just riding anywhere away from traffic....
Old 2017-01-03, 05:18 PM   #37
UniRosie
Unicyclist

At the moment I'd be happy riding

I'm finding that unicycling is super good exercise, muscles are aching today that I didn't even know I had!

I'm away to centre Parcs in a couple of weeks and had a very silly high hope of being able to ride enough that I could take my unicycle with me and ride along with my two little nieces on their balance bikes (much to my sister's expected embarrassment), still a ways to go, who knew it was this hard?

I'm spurred on by reading everyone else's success stories though and I'm enjoying myself and all my UPDs. I've ordered some protective gear for my wrists, knees and elbows (since the heels of my hands were all red and rough today) so I'll have even less fear
Old 2017-01-03, 05:19 PM   #38
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryAttrick View Post
Which reminds me, I must try and get the local unicycle hockey team going again!
Unicycle hockey sounds fabulous!!
Old 2017-01-04, 02:32 AM   #39
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
I'm away to centre Parcs in a couple of weeks and had a very silly high hope of being able to ride enough that I could take my unicycle with me and ride along with my two little nieces on their balance bikes (much to my sister's expected embarrassment), still a ways to go, who knew it was this hard?
It's doable, depending on how much spare time you have to practice. I learned in 2 weeks, though getting in a solid half hour to an hour a day. Though take your uni anyway, as you'll probably be close enough to riding to impress people.
Old 2017-01-04, 05:34 AM   #40
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
I'm a 30 year old female who's wanted to unicycle for all of my life, but never been allowed!!
I know you answered this later on, but I have to point out a 30-year-old not being allowed to do something. Even if you still live in your parents' house. Glad you finally took a stand (with the help of your partner)!
Quote:
I'm going with the balance and fling method- fully believe that holding a wall will hinder me (correct if wrong) I ride a motorbike and I can wheelie and trick balance on that so I think my sidey sidey balance might be okay.
Your motorbike skills should definitely be helpful, but learning the unicycle has a lot that's not in common with those skills, as you have found out. As for learning methods, balance-and-fling will keep you pushing your limits, but at the same time will have you spending the majority of your practice time getting back on. I recommend mixing that with trying to do half-revolutions of the wheel (without your feet stopping at the bottom) while not falling off, to work on being balanced while on the unicycle.
Quote:
I've noticed that the upper inner thigh area is like purple with bruises so I'm wondering if everyone goes that or if I'm maybe mounting slightly wrong...
Could be mounting, but is likely mostly about squeezing the seat too much. Also could be the seat itself, especially if you have an old Pashley with one of those giant seats. Try to relax your legs as you go, but this is hard while learning.

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-04, 12:17 PM   #41
UniRosie
Unicyclist

I will probably pop the uni in the car anyway, even if just to practice at night

John (I'm not worthy), I know it is silly, and I would have been allowed really, I think it was more just that I got warned off it so never did. I don't even live with my parents so there's no way they could have stopped me.

Along with my fling practice, I'm also doing some hold on to the bannister and idle practice after it gets dark, I'm doing a half a turn forwards, 9/3, and half a turn back, I can do this for a wee while without holding on and it does seem to be helping my fling rides, because I seem to get to about 2 revolutions, then have a weird balance moment, where (I think) the idle practice helps cos I then almost start again and do 2 more revs but without a UPD. Hope that explains it

I can feel the progress, and I'm hoping that the more chilled I get, the less I'll grip the seat and the bruises will fade.
Old 2017-01-04, 12:23 PM   #42
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
It's doable, depending on how much spare time you have to practice.
I work full time 9-5 so it's pretty gloomy when I get home, but I'm doing idle practice (I think that's what it is) when I'm in the house, so there's not really a day where I don't spend half amounts hour or so at least on the uni.

I read somewhere that to practice putting your weight fully in the seat, it's a good idea to sit on it while watching TV? Not sure how true it is??
Old 2017-01-04, 04:08 PM   #43
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
I can feel the progress, and I'm hoping that the more chilled I get, the less I'll grip the seat and the bruises will fade.
Welcome to the forum, UniRosie! I don't think you can fix the problem right now. You can only manage it. You're probably unstable on your feet (to be expected from a beginner), which is shoving the seat around, under you; then you're compensating by gripping harder. +1 for padded bike shorts.

Here's a suggestion for indoor practice (you can take or leave), which may, in some way, help with the chafing/bruising of your inner thighs. While holding onto something, sit stationary on the unicycle in any position around the 360 degrees of the pedal stroke. So, the pedal position might be 9:00/3:00 or 12:00/6:00 or anywhere in between. In this position, try to lift your weight off the seat. The seat is going to start pushing to the left or right. Use your free to hold the seat gently. Try, with your legs/feet (not your inner thigh), to stabilize the unicycle in this off-the-seat position, so the seat isn't pushing left or right. Then, gently sit back on the seat. Change the position of the cranks, then try the exercise again.

Keep practicing!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-04, 05:52 PM   #44
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
try to lift your weight off the seat.
Keep practicing!
Thanks so much for the advice, I sat and watched a movie whilst on the unicycle and when I do that tomorrow night (I'm doing that/idling when it's dark outside) I'll switch in your trick too! Hopefully everything I'm trying will all add together and improve my overall riding.

Keep practicing is the one thing people keep saying and I think the one thing that's sticking the most.
Old 2017-01-04, 06:35 PM   #45
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

UniRosie,
Welcome to the forum and welcome to unicycling. I don't know if you've been warned yet, but it is very addictive, and once you get confident riding one, you'll want to spend all your money on a new one as often as you can get by with it.

I agree with John that it could be your saddle causing the bruising. I've been riding for 30 years, and I never had any bruising on my thighs until last year when I bought a very cheap, used unicycle. It had the worse saddle I've ever seen in my life (and I've seen some pretty bad ones). After riding it for less than half an hour, my thighs were black and blue. It was horrible. I didn't ride it again until I replaced the saddle.

That might not be the issue, especially if you have a new unicycle, but if you get the chance to meet up with other riders and can borrow someone else's unicycle that has a good saddle (or just borrow a good saddle), you could see if the bruising stops.

I know it's kind of expensive, especially if you're just starting out, but I really like the Nimbus Gel saddle for beginners. I think it's wider and more curved that some saddles, which I think makes it easier to mount and control the unicycle.

Enjoy!

Tags
learning