Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-12-31, 05:06 PM   #16
Juni
QX Series 36er -- ABBY!

LOL @ that video!!

The bruising on your thighs should ease up once you're past the beginner stages, and start putting your weight on the saddle. I used to grip the saddle with my thighs when I started learning.
Old 2016-12-31, 05:18 PM   #17
UniRosie
Unicyclist

I'm very consciously trying to put my butt in the seat, but you're right, think I'm probably gripping haha.
Old 2016-12-31, 07:24 PM   #18
LanceB
This space available

I get bruises on my inner thighs once in a while, usually when I'm practicing a new skill and the saddle bangs into my leg. But it's not too common.
You might want to try wearing thigh-length cycle shorts (the tight ones). A lot of riders wear these, it makes riding a bit more comfortable, and might prevent some bruising (and chafing).
Cheers!
Old 2017-01-01, 09:26 AM   #19
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRosie View Post
Hi Juni, thanks for the offer, I'm significantly more north than that (but just as east) in newcastle, so still a 3 hours drive
Cool, you have lots of resources in your area to help then. It will speed things up if you just meet up with some other unicyclists. The nearest group to you is Circus Central in Jesmond. I don't know who is riding there at the moment, but may be worth a call, they certainly have had quite a few riders there; but mostly kids.

Best is to go down the road to Billingham. You will find JUST there on Thursday evenings. It is a big unicycle/Juggling club that has great facilities and lots of mixed aged riders there. You will find lots of encouragement there.

Or... you could just pop over to Durham on Tuesday nights. I go there and can help you learn. The club is small but really nice, all adults and I always have my unicycle there. Hall is not massive, but good for learners and there is often someone hanging onto a wall or wobbling around.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 09:32 AM   #20
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRosie View Post
Thanks for that video, I love it!!!

Thanks for the support everyone. I've noticed that the upper inner thigh area is like purple with bruises so I'm wondering if everyone goes that or if I'm maybe mounting slightly wrong...
You are right, don't grip, sit! Also tilt the seat up as far as it can go in the front, that helps.

Don't wear jeans or other trousers with a double seam on the inside, best to wear padded cycle shorts, they really help.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
Old 2017-01-01, 10:46 AM   #21
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Wow! Thanks so much for all of that information!!

I've looked at circus central online, but you're right, it seems to be mainly kids its aimed at and I think I'd prefer to be around other people who don't bounce when they hit the deck.

JUST seems good and I'll definitely have a wander down there one time to give it a go. I think I'd rather learn with people instead of completely alone, just to at least make sure I'm getting the fundamentals right and not getting myself off on the wrong foot (so to speak).

Your group on a Tuesday, on the website it looks more juggling focused, is it both though? Just with it happening a bit later, I could fly through after work
Old 2017-01-01, 02:37 PM   #22
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

Durham is a great little club. Unicycling and Juggling. If you want to unicycle, you unicycle, want to juggle, you juggle. or both. :-)

It has quite a history, it was Duncan Castlings home club and he coined the phrase Muni.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
Old 2017-01-01, 03:21 PM   #23
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Oh, fabulous!! I'm sure I'll be there one week soon then

Feel like I'd get along better if I had people in the know to correct my form and things
Old 2017-01-01, 04:17 PM   #24
pierrox
Unicyclist

+1!
If you can ride with people, especially at the beginning, do it! It'll help for sure, you'll start on good grounds, and avoid learning with bad habits that take years to get rid of!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 04:45 PM   #25
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Well that's settled then. The Durham one is only 30 mins from my home so it makes perfect sense
Old 2017-01-01, 05:49 PM   #26
Regina Wrecks
Cylopic Menace to Society.

Lucky you, it is almost like there is an invisible force field around here preventing unicyclists from entering. As far as I can make out, I am the only one within several miles of here.
Perchance someone will chime in with their whereabouts and prove me wrong, but I am not holding my breath too long.
I have to say the various clubs shown on here must be a boon to budding uniists.. !!
Old 2017-01-01, 11:11 PM   #27
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Where exactly are you then Regina, Devon or East Anglia? (I've no idea about East Anglia, but know somebody in Princetown and somebody in Plymouth). Though in any case, whilst we're clearly extremely rare there are more about than you might think - I discovered that somebody I already know can also ride. It's just a case of finding them - I recently found a club fairly local to me (nowhere near either of your possible locations!) which I'm hoping to meet up with next week.

Oh and FWIW to the OP, I learned when I was 40, having wanted to for a long time (I once asked for one as a birthday present many years before and got told not to be silly )

Last edited by aracer; 2017-01-01 at 11:12 PM.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 11:55 PM   #28
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

Regina is East Anglia - it's me who is Devon. The nearest club to me is the Severn Wheelers in Bristol.
Old 2017-01-02, 08:25 AM   #29
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Yes, I'm over the moon that there are clubs nearby, and I'll definitely be taking advantage of that!!

I was told for the past 20 years of asking to behave and not to be silly, until my partner bought one, not knowing how often I'd asked for one
Old 2017-01-02, 12:50 PM   #30
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Had a good hour out in the cold garden on the patio) and managed to get my mount (against a pole) much more natural and smooth and got 2 whole revolutions!!

Small victories must be celebrated

I also had my first actual bum to the ground UPD too, but we'll just gloss over that

Tags
learning