Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-09-28, 01:26 PM   #31
gathan
Unicyclist

I have taken a liking to riding single track at night. I had purchased a light & motion taz 1200: http://www.lightandmotion.com/bike/taz1200p.html

The light is quite powerful, with a nice mixture of width and distance. Being self contained you do feel the weight of it when it is strapped to your helmet. Another issue is the endurance of the battery. At the maximum setting of 1200 lumens, you get about 90 minutes (2hrs if in race mode high at 1000 lumens), which isn't enough for me, not to mention that if you run down a LiIon battery regularly, you might compromise its longevity. In order to increase burn time, I would run the light in race mode low, which gives you 450 lumens and up to 4 hrs of burn time. I found 450 lumens not bright enough, especially when negotiating technical sections.

I now have the light and motion seca 2000 enduro: http://www.lightandmotion.com/bike/seca2000e.html , this thing is a beast! Its like carrying a portable sun in the trail with you, with plenty of battery endurance. I normally run the light in race mode high(1600 lumens) and have 3.5 hrs of battery endurance / 7 hrs if in race mode low (850lumens). The light head is very light and I keep the battery pack in my backpack. The taz 1200 has now been relegated to backup duty.

Andre

Last edited by gathan; 2013-09-28 at 01:28 PM.
gathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 04:28 PM   #32
gathan
Unicyclist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc_ctNNAZkI

Just playing around with the drift HD ghost action cam last night while out in the trails with the dogs. I was using the light and motion seca 2000 enduro for lighting.

Andre
gathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 02:31 PM   #33
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

I'm a big Magic SHine fan, went through the battery recall and everything, sadly after they replaced all the batteries they were forced to shut down

Anyway, on to lights...

I used to run ultramarathons which often required long hours of light usage, and the biggest issue is balancing "seeing" with battery life. More light requires more batteries, batteris weigh a lot. I ended up using handhelps because headlamps that are string enough are also quite heady. I also modified a bigger headlamp for use on a waist belt.

A typical rechargeable like the Magic Shine will last ~ 2 hours depending on temp and level of intensity used. I have two Li batteries, I rarely ride long enough to wear one out since most of my night rides are after work, but I'd stay under four hours of planned riding if I carried two battery packs as running out of light is bad. I carry a small backup light just in case.

For sure, if you want a light for night riding on a uni, you will want no less than 750lumens and you will want one that has a remote battery pack; that much light will require a big battery and you don't want that much weight on your head.

I carry my battery in my water packs.
Old 2013-10-07, 03:46 PM   #34
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

Magic Shine is alive, isn't it?
http://www.magicshineusa.com/
MuniOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 07:47 PM   #35
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
Magic Shine is alive, isn't it?
http://www.magicshineusa.com/
Hmm, maybe it was another group that distributed them??

The recall was a huge ordeal, I was glad to get my new batteries, but I know someone went out of business as a result of the recall process...

Okay, now I remember, it was Geomangear that closed down, they were the retailers for Magic Shine: http://geomangear.com/
Old 2016-12-17, 01:25 AM   #36
bradahj
Fail 'Til You Succeed

safety lights

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread with some questions on those blinking safety/bike lights a lot of people seem to be using. Most I've seen have them mounted on the bike seat post. They are either white or red....blinking, of course....... The good ones I've seen while driving really alert me to a bicycle up ahead. That's the kind I want.

Not a lot to choose from in my area, so wondered if anybody used and/or could recommend one.

Thank you.
bradahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 02:45 AM   #37
rockjunkie15
Unicyclist

I really like my niterider sentinel 150 and solas 150, super bright and USB rechargeable. Mine lasts a true 4hrs per charge and is very bright even in the daylight. Cyglolight also makes a really good rear light called the hotshot, the entire line up are very bright and they make a 150 USB rechargeable as well(just less battery life).
rockjunkie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 02:59 AM   #38
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

For a tail light, I go red LEDs with erratic light pattern. Serfas is the brand and it's super bright as well.

For a main light I use a CYGO-LITE EXPILION 850 USB light. Mounts on my helmet and turns the dark into daytime.
The Cygolite is by far the best light I've used.

Last edited by Canoeheadted; 2016-12-17 at 03:07 AM.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 11:55 AM   #39
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I've got a few red lights on the rear of my uni, and then one bright headlight up front.

Two of these one on each side of my fork (well, actually on my rear rack) along with one of these either on my trunk bag, or round my seatpost for days I don't use the bag - they're a hell of a lot brighter than their size would indicate, and the Clip one is USB chargeable. Absolutely tiny so you can stow them in any pocket you've got.

Both those lights have flashing and still modes, so I run the two smaller side ones on flashing and the brighter middle one on still. I've not been SMIDSY'd on my 10pm commute home yet, so I assume people can see them
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-09, 01:34 AM   #40
bradahj
Fail 'Til You Succeed

Red Rear Lights

I picked up 8 of these for about $20 out of China. So far, I'm pleased. They have the standard constant-on, and 2 blinking modes ..... waterproof, too.
Attached Images

bradahj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, night, rave