Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2016-11-27, 09:26 AM   #16
Juni
QX Series 36er -- ABBY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Nowadays, if I were to buy something new and different, I'd want one of these, but I don't even know where this one came from! The guys were using that and an electric BC wheel to advertise Segway tours in Madrid (before Unicon). I thought I had collected the name of the one with the big tire, but subsequent Web searching came up with nothing. Anybody know anything about those?
Hi John

Do you mean the Uno Nimble
Looks like one of Ryno Motors Prequels
Old 2016-11-28, 04:04 AM   #17
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni View Post
Do you mean the Uno Nimble
Looks like one of Ryno Motors Prequels
Thanks very much! I never figured out the correct keywords to track down what appears to be the Uno Nimble! I have contacted the makers and hope to find out I can still order one. The site says they're "no longer taking online orders" so they may or may not still be something people can get.

Same for the Ryno Motors Ryno, which looks even cooler, but probably (will cost) several times as much, if it's ever available for purchase. I contacted them as well.

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-28, 08:54 AM   #18
Juni
QX Series 36er -- ABBY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Thanks very much! I never figured out the correct keywords to track down what appears to be the Uno Nimble! I have contacted the makers and hope to find out I can still order one. The site says they're "no longer taking online orders" so they may or may not still be something people can get.

Same for the Ryno Motors Ryno, which looks even cooler, but probably (will cost) several times as much, if it's ever available for purchase. I contacted them as well.
Ahhh I'm glad I could help mate

That would be the coolest thing ever to own!!!
Edit: After unicycles of course

Last edited by Juni; 2016-11-28 at 08:55 AM.
Juni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-28, 08:59 AM   #19
Spinningwoman
Practicing unicyclist

Quote:
Ahhh I'm glad I could help mate

That would be the coolest thing ever to own!!!
Edit: After unicycles of course
Yes; I suppose it would fall foul of the same UK laws that make Segway and hover boards illegal except on private property, though. Or is there a chance that the lighting and 'handlebar' might make it licensable do you suppose?
Old 2016-11-28, 09:06 AM   #20
Juni
QX Series 36er -- ABBY!

After another quick look there's also the uniscoot and this on ebay
Old 2016-11-28, 09:08 AM   #21
Juni
QX Series 36er -- ABBY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
Yes; I suppose it would fall foul of the same UK laws that make Segway and hover boards illegal except on private property, though. Or is there a chance that the lighting and 'handlebar' might make it licensable do you suppose?
Yeah I think the UK law would probably get its mitts into it, unless of course they could be made to go moped speeds. But then you would have to have a licence , tax and insurance to drive on the roads...
Old 2016-11-28, 07:31 PM   #22
Danny Colyer
Unicyclist

Quote:
IIRC the law requires electric cycles to be powered only while pedalling. If the machine doesn't have pedals then it can't comply with that requirement, so can't be classed as an electric cycle. That would then make it a motor vehicle, so it would have to comply with the construction and use regulations for motor vehicles.

ICBW, of course. IANAL, and I haven't read up much on electric bike regulations because I'm really not all that interested.
Old 2016-11-28, 08:06 PM   #23
Spinningwoman
Practicing unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Colyer View Post
IIRC the law requires electric cycles to be powered only while pedalling. If the machine doesn't have pedals then it can't comply with that requirement, so can't be classed as an electric cycle. That would then make it a motor vehicle, so it would have to comply with the construction and use regulations for motor vehicles.

ICBW, of course. IANAL, and I haven't read up much on electric bike regulations because I'm really not all that interested.
Yes, I was more wondering if the lights etc might make it able to be licensed as a motor vehicle. I wouldn't be in the market for one, but I think it is ridiculous that there is a whole class of innovative vehicles which now can't be used in the UK in public at all because they fall between two legal stools.
Old 2016-11-28, 09:50 PM   #24
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

because?

Quote:
innovative vehicles which now can't be used in the UK in public at all because they fall between two legal stools.
If this contraption cannot be used on public roads, perhaps it's not so much because it falls between two legal stools, but because it is less safe than a regular electric cycle or a motorcycle. Think only of braking...
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-28, 11:59 PM   #25
Spinningwoman
Practicing unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
If this contraption cannot be used on public roads, perhaps it's not so much because it falls between two legal stools, but because it is less safe than a regular electric cycle or a motorcycle. Think only of braking...
Well, I expect that is part of it but the way the law is currently, you cannot use a self-balancing Segway or hoverboard, however low powered, on the pavement but you can't use it on the road either. And yet you can use an electric bike on the road, or a mobility scooter on either. If they made certain stipulations about speed or braking or whatever then designers could work to that. And you have the ridiculous situation that a disabled person who can sit can mow me down with their mobility scooter quite happily, but one whose condition makes standing easier than sitting Cant do the same with a Segway.
Old 2016-11-29, 01:25 AM   #26
wfv
Unicyclist

Walking unicycle video

A recent video of a guy trying out a walking unicycle:

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/02/...8621455896073/

It's not a unicycle, It's a bipedal

Last edited by wfv; 2016-11-29 at 01:34 AM.
wfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 05:01 AM   #27
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfv View Post
A recent video of a guy trying out a walking unicycle:

It's not a unicycle, It's a bipedal
Hey, that'a about what it looked like when I was trying to learn on Peter Holmgren's in 1983! Always ended up getting too far forward and having to pedal fast and bumpy.

BTW, I don't remember who started using the name, but in the "unicycling literature", these were called PedoPeds. I like Bipedal also, but without a picture, it sounds a lot more generic where PedoPed seems to conjure more of an image of pedals and feet.

Quote:
After another quick look there's also the uniscoot and this on ebay
Thanks also! Now I know I can have one for $1,399 US (plus whatever shipping, duties, etc.). Probably too much for Santa to swallow at the moment, but it's great to know they're being produced. That one in Spain looked like it got plenty of daily use, so I would consider good odds that it's reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
Actually, in my (very limited) experience with these things, they brake a lot better than a pedaled unicycle. You can lean back as hard as you want, and it will apply all the braking force it can, under more control than doing it with pedals, and much, much safer than going hard with a conventional unicycle brake! It's more a matter of perception. It only has one wheel, therefore it is inherently less stable. Not really. The limiting factor, outside of the most important part, which is paying attention, is the rider's skill at steering the thing.

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish

Last edited by johnfoss; 2016-11-29 at 05:03 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
related, unicycles, walking machines