Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-01-23, 11:56 PM   #61
UniSpud
Freelance Enthusiast

I am amazed at how fast my son progresses on his unicycle. Today makes 2 wks we've had the unis and we went to the park with the idea of just having fun. I didn't take my uni because I just wanted him to relax and goof around and do what HE wanted to do, not what I wanted him to do.

We started inside the play area and he was just doing short rides and trying to turn corners. He was getting the hang of it when he said, "Hey, Dad, watch this". I turned and watched him freemount the unicycle and take off. It was great. He had a pretty decent ride and I asked if he minded if I shot some video on my phone. He agreed and though he didn't get the same distance while I was filming him he did manage to repeat it a few times.

After that we left the play area and went into the park where there are brick footpaths meandering around park. He wanted to try his hand at riding on the paths and so I helped him out with my hand to hold and he got started. It was new terrain for him and it took a couple of minutes for him to get accustomed to it. After that he was up and riding. I think because there were no natural stopping points (fences, etc) he began to feel the freedom of the ride. This was coupled with the first decent day, temperature wise, that we've had in weeks.

There was a crew of workers doing some repairs in the park and one of them whistled and shouted, "Good on ya, mate!!" with two thumbs up. All in all it was a good session.

Last edited by UniSpud; 2014-01-23 at 11:56 PM.
UniSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 12:14 AM   #62
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

His seat is a little low for learning. I never would have learned that quickly with a low seat. Some people are just more naturally inclined to learn! He has that freemount good, just keep doing it over and over, but don't overdo it. When tired, have a good nights sleep and hit it up again the next day. You'll be WAYYY better at whatever it was you learned the day previous.
Dane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 06:04 AM   #63
markus
Too old for a training wheel!

Wow! Congratulations on the amazing progress. I hope with school on you'll be able to catch up and make equal progress. It is very interesting to see how both of you are going at it. The son absolutely fearless but with less strategy and impatient like kids are. And the father over analyzing and worrying a lot. Makes you wish you could mix them up a bit: Take a bit of the fearlessness and "let's just see what works" attitude and mix it up with the strategy and patience.

I've been at it for a week now and tried for the first time outside today. Mostly along the guard rail, but towards the end of the session I managed to make it past the open space by the bench and back. That was enough success to call it quits and get ready for work
Attached Images

markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 06:15 AM   #64
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

I dunno, looks pretty fearless to me... New to riding and taking your uni near water!

Smart man to wear riding shorts.
Old 2014-01-25, 07:05 AM   #65
UniSpud
Freelance Enthusiast

Markus, good on ya!! Looks like a lovely place to practice. Hope you don't take your uni swimming

My son has really crossed a threshold. He's now riding in town on the footpaths and through the park. His freemount still needs a bit more practice for it to be smooth and natural, but he can do it. He loves the attention he's getting. He's already getting comments like, "Can you ride that thing?". I had some errands to run this afternoon and he came along and rode his unicycle in town. Glad someone in the family has some balance and talent

I'll get some video of him freemounting and riding around town in the next day or so. I do study his technique and try to copy it, but I'm miles behind him. It has "clicked" for him so now he's telling me to "just do this" and "just do that". I'm very proud of him.

What do they say? "Youth, it's wasted on the young", I wish I had his vitality and fearlessness.
UniSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 06:18 PM   #66
onlyneedsone
Unicyclist

You'll get your fearlessness back in due time. That 24" uni you got should help with gaining some curage and confidence so your not so high up anymore. I think what'll help you learn just as much as watching your son would be trying different things or tweaking your son's method to better suit you. How do you learn best if you wanted better pointers I could help you a little better knowing how you learn. And dont forget to record yourself too thats one of the best ways to truely compare yourself to your son that way you can watch what you cant see and better copy his form plus you get to see what happens when you do stuff right.

Saving for
Nimbus nightfox
onlyneedsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 11:13 AM   #67
wilsonov7
Rookie

Your son will be riding around in circles and hopping up and down stairs in a month! It took me a solid month to make any progress. Then again, I started at 40
wilsonov7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 03:31 PM   #68
markus
Too old for a training wheel!

I think older folks like us just need more time. I'm in week two and still making daily progress. Every once in a while I have a minor epiphany because I do something right by accident. So I'm trying not to fall into too much routine in my learning and always switch up things a bit.

When riding along the railing I started pretending a segment was electrified and trying to keep my hands away from the "bad" segments. Then I had a minor mishap and got away from the railing into the middle of the path where I couldn't reach anything. But instead of letting the uni take a fall and step off like I usually do, I managed to catch myself and keep going until I was back at the railing. So now I'm trying to veer away from the railing intentionally every once in a while.

It is amazing to me how much of unicycling is in our heads. When I'm afraid of the gap in the railing, I won't make it. If I'm confident and look far ahead I'm much more likely to make it.
markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 03:34 PM   #69
wilsonov7
Rookie

I had to train my brain to keep pedaling!
Old 2014-01-28, 09:07 PM   #70
pierrox
Unicyclist

There is that great line in Dan Heaton's doc "Revolution One", someone says (from memory): "if you think you can't do it, you're right: you won't."
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 09:15 PM   #71
wilsonov7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
There is that great line in Dan Heaton's doc "Revolution One", someone says (from memory): "if you think you can't do it, you're right: you won't."
You gotta fall over A LOT before you get to stay up....that has been my experience so far
Old 2014-01-28, 09:33 PM   #72
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonov7 View Post
You gotta fall over A LOT before you get to stay up....that has been my experience so far
Yes, I've had to do everything wrong at least a hundred times before I was able to do it right. Heaton's quote is inspirational, but the converse isn't always true: If you think you can do it, you can be very wrong. (Like two broken ankles wrong.)

I think it's important to give yourself ways to fail safely, and to draw encouragement from even small degrees of improvement. It takes practice and it takes time, and being young and naturally physically gifted (like Heaton) don't hurt either. Also, try to enjoy the activity of practicing for itself, not as something you put yourself through to achieve some goal--which is always receding. We'll never be as good as we wish we were.

But you'll all be better than me in a few months so maybe there's some motivation for you in that.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 09:51 PM   #73
wilsonov7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
Yes, I've had to do everything wrong at least a hundred times before I was able to do it right. Heaton's quote is inspirational, but the converse isn't always true: If you think you can do it, you can be very wrong. (Like two broken ankles wrong.)

I think it's important to give yourself ways to fail safely, and to draw encouragement from even small degrees of improvement. It takes practice and it takes time, and being young and naturally physically gifted (like Heaton) don't hurt either. Also, try to enjoy the activity of practicing for itself, not as something you put yourself through to achieve some goal--which is always receding. We'll never be as good as we wish we were.

But you'll all be better than me in a few months so maybe there's some motivation for you in that.
I'm the type that will still be trying to achieve a goal with teo broken ankles! Until the adrenaline wears off anyway!
Old 2014-01-28, 09:55 PM   #74
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonov7 View Post
I like to tell people on the trail when they ask a lot of questions about crashing: "Crashing is the first thing you learn to do on a unicycle"

Last edited by Dane M; 2014-01-28 at 09:56 PM.
Old 2014-01-28, 10:03 PM   #75
wilsonov7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane M View Post
I like to tell people on the trail when they ask a lot of questions about crashing: "Crashing is the first thing you learn to do on a unicycle"
I learned very quickly that the unicycle is programmed to chase your ankle.

Tags
beginner, progress, unicycle