Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-03-20, 10:27 PM   #16
Vee
The Unsung Uni-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
It occurs to me that a completely slick tire might weigh more than the equivalent tire with the same amount of "tread" on it. This because the tread has no gaps or grooves in it, meaning more material. So they probably just make it a reasonable percentage thinner, to make up for the difference. But unlike a tire with tread on it, it's probably hard to tell when a slick tire is wearing out until you see threads.
The Apache weighs in at 1000 grams (according to the internet) so you are probably right about making it thinner to cut back on the weight. It is the only way I can see that it weighs what it does.

I hadn't considered the problem of how to tell when a slick (bald) tire goes bald. I will have to look into this. I've ordered an Apache (because at the least I'll have a little fun with it) and it will most likely take the better part of a month to get here but I'll keep everyone posted as to how it does.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 11:12 PM   #17
Unisomniac
Late Night Unicyclist

Please post pics/review of the apache fatty slick when it arrives. Throwing one on a hatchet was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it on the vee tire website. Would love to know how it rides on a uni.
Old 2017-03-21, 12:36 PM   #18
zbiguni
Unicyclist

Send a message via Skype™ to zbiguni
Talking Hatchet form and function

[Quite]

Does the shape of the post change anything about the way it rides?
Or does it just change the way it looks?

Would that unicycle be appropriate for street riding? (26")
Since I am a "lightweight" would it be more difficult

First off, I'd say, 3.8" tire does not shine of the street... more rolling resistance and friction from increased surface area on pavement. So it won't win any awards for speed. When you use the hatchet for what it was designed for however, it absolutely shines.

Re: frame design placing uprights behind knees...works like a champ.
More importantly however, the 3.8" tire is an absolute ANIMAL off-road.
What that width and volume gets you is the ability to ride pretty low psi and just roll over virtually anything. Although it takes a bit more horsepower to push that fat wheel, the ability to roll over trail obstacles, if you are an intermediate rider, will totally open up new terrain that you could never before ride without multiple UPDs. With proper inflation, it will also hop like a pogo stick and act like a shock absorber so that your back won't feel as pounded after a long ride.
Put simply, if you ride trails and single track, and you're an intermediate rider, the hatchet will be a total game changer for you.
I was skeptical at first, though the design was stupid and hated the branding, but it is absolutely functional for the riding that I do. Re: the fat tire bike craze, unless you're just running downhill and want to do so without a shock, or on sand, I still think fat tires on bikes are stupid as shit. On a unicycle, for off-road, they are magic. Had I not been able to try one at Silvia Cycles in Campbell,Ca, I'd never have even considered purchasing.... now I rarely ride anything else for trails....and FYI... stupid branding and color are easy to lose w new powdercoat
zbiguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 07:09 AM   #19
Vee
The Unsung Uni-Hero

I am still waiting on the Apache to arrive but I went ahead and ordered a Snowshoe 2xl as well for the winter (complete with stud kit).
I have some Clownshoe rims hanging around and am wondering if the 2xl on a clownshoe will fit.
Anyone know if is there a version of the 125mm disc hub that is 32 hole?
I currently have the 36 hole version on a Large Marge and would love to just have two wheels I could swap out.
I could set the 2xl wheel up with some spirit cranks and the disc on the outside but then I believe I would have to redo the brake every time I switched wheels.
Maybe there is a 36 hole 100mm or 80mm rim out there?
Old 2017-03-26, 07:30 AM   #20
Tony Black
Unicyclist

udc us

Hi,
They sell 125mm disc hubs but only in US unicycle.com I think...

Edit:
Yep I was right
http://www.unicycle.com/nimbus-32h-a...sis-hub-125mm/

Last edited by Tony Black; 2017-03-26 at 07:32 AM. Reason: new info
Tony Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 07:45 AM   #21
Vee
The Unsung Uni-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Hi,
They sell 125mm disc hubs but only in US unicycle.com I think...

Edit:
Yep I was right
http://www.unicycle.com/nimbus-32h-a...sis-hub-125mm/
Yeah, thanks for that. Looks like I need to place an order.
Old 2017-03-26, 08:00 PM   #22
MUCFreerider
36" Muni+ 26" Downhill + Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
Yeah, thanks for that. Looks like I need to place an order.
About 2 months ago on my request, Roland from UDC Germany had a few shipped over, so check there to see if any are still available.
24" Koxx, Duro, Magura HS (gathering dust)
19" Trials Impact Athmos
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 08:31 PM   #23
Vee
The Unsung Uni-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCFreerider View Post
About 2 months ago on my request, Roland from UDC Germany had a few shipped over, so check there to see if any are still available.
Roland will definitely be the first place I check. Thanks!
Old 2017-04-17, 03:56 PM   #24
Vee
The Unsung Uni-Hero

So the day has finally arrived. Well, to tell the truth rain has postponed the day until tomorrow but then it is time to say goodbye to traction and hello to speed. I pumped this bad boy up to 12-15 psi and it folded under my weight so 20-25 tomorrow and we will go from there. I am thinking too soft and the option of steering is gone, too hard and the first bump will rocket me into space.
I will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.
Name:  image_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  162.1 KB

Name:  image_1_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  164.2 KB

Name:  image_2_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  177.2 KB

Name:  image_3_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  213.2 KB
Old 2017-04-17, 04:19 PM   #25
Vee
The Unsung Uni-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
So the day has finally arrived. Well, to tell the truth rain has postponed the day until tomorrow but then it is time to say goodbye to traction and hello to speed. I pumped this bad boy up to 12-15 psi and it folded under my weight so 20-25 tomorrow and we will go from there. I am thinking too soft and the option of steering is gone, too hard and the first bump will rocket me into space.
I will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.

Attachment 69821

Attachment 69822

Attachment 69823

Attachment 69824
edit: I just rechecked the PSI with a special low pressure gauge and while my pump read 15 it was actually at 5. That explains a lot.
Old 2017-04-18, 07:19 PM   #26
Unisomniac
Late Night Unicyclist

Nice looking hatchet there vee. I can't believe how much clearance you have with the apache at high psi. Makes me feel a bit better about my 27.5x4.5 build... (still waiting on my nextie rim to arrive) what crank length are you using?
Old 2017-04-18, 09:02 PM   #27
Vee
The Unsung Uni-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unisomniac View Post
Nice looking hatchet there vee. I can't believe how much clearance you have with the apache at high psi. Makes me feel a bit better about my 27.5x4.5 build... (still waiting on my nextie rim to arrive) what crank length are you using?
The amount of clearance on the Hatchet frame is ridiculous. My next wheel for it will be a 100mm Clownshoe with a VeeRubber Snowshow XL. I am also planning a 32" in the near future as well.
When I got back into unicycling my wife made me promise to keep it at one and thanks to the Hatchet I can do that.
Still I believe a Triton frame is in my future for this Apache Tire. I also am thinking of a carbon rim down the road. I want a fast fat ride uni for the sole purpose of they are so fun to ride.
Old 2017-04-20, 04:20 PM   #28
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Send a message via AIM to crazyunicyclerNJ
I am loving my hatchet with the 29x3 on it. is it worth getting a 26" wheel to put in there as well? i only use it off road really and keep my 40" T.U.F. big wheel for long road rides
crazyunicyclerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 10:50 PM   #29
cliffhirsch
Boston metrowest muni

I wonder how the Apache slick, which I think is close to a 32" equivalent, rides compared to a conventional skinny 32". I've been using my Snowshoe 2XL on pavement, but the rolling resistance is insane. I'm on the fence as to whether to simply put an Apache slick on my 80mm rim for road or build up a new 32" wheel. I do like the cushioning "suspension" of high volume tires but a speed machine would be nice too.
- Impact Gravity 19" Trials Uni
- Torker LX 24 somewhere
cliffhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 05:44 AM   #30
Vee
The Unsung Uni-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhirsch View Post
I wonder how the Apache slick, which I think is close to a 32" equivalent, rides compared to a conventional skinny 32". I've been using my Snowshoe 2XL on pavement, but the rolling resistance is insane. I'm on the fence as to whether to simply put an Apache slick on my 80mm rim for road or build up a new 32" wheel. I do like the cushioning "suspension" of high volume tires but a speed machine would be nice too.
I cannot comment on a 32" but the Apache Slick is a speedy tire. It has been a couple of days and I am still getting used to the feel of absolutely zero rolling resistance.
Hopefully I will have a review up soon.

Tags
hatchet, nimbus, questions