Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-06-25, 09:13 PM   #106
song
Unicyclist

Yes, definitely email them those photos. As I mentioned before, the unicycle they sold me had a KH Moment hub, which had a defect that apparently is common to most KH Moment hubs: they make louder and louder noises until eventually they fail. I called first, and UDC didn't want to send me a new hub, even though it was still under warranty, but then I emailed the guy I had spoken to and attached a very noisy video file of my wheel while I was idling on it. With each back-and-forth it went "Tick-tick-tick! Tick-tick-tick!" I didn't threaten to post it on the web or anything naughty like that, but he agreed right away to send me a replacement hub. I suppose I should have demanded that they rebuild my wheel, but I didn't feel like hassling them anymore, or sending my uni through the mail, so I tried the rebuild myself and on the second attempt, ended up with a very solid, silent wheel.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-28, 01:43 AM   #107
Scoox
Unicyclist

Already contacted them, they are going to look in the warehouse today to see what's going on. They seemed cool about it, I'm confident this will resolve satisfactorily. I'm sure sharing the pics here is no biggie because corrosion is just one of the many things that can happen to aluminium that's been sitting for a long time in a humid environment. The newer KH rims are entirely powder-coated (the old ones like mine have anodised sidewalls) and looking at my rim there is zero corrosion in the powder-coated areas.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-28, 03:34 AM   #108
Scoox
Unicyclist

Quick update, UDC China just replied and said they will send me a brand-new KH27.5 and this time it's going to be the latest model so I'm getting exactly what I wanted!! They will cover all shipping costs too. They will investigate the defective unicycle and report to Kris. Apparently I must have got a lemon because they checked their warehouse and non of their stock had any issues. Could have been the last piece from an old batch, who knows. Great service anyway
Old 2018-06-28, 04:14 AM   #109
song
Unicyclist

Nicely done! UDC recommends putting handlebars on it, but when I borrowed one for a few minutes, the handlebars were the one thing I didn't like. That's probably just because I'm not used to handlebars, though. I wanted to ride it down a flight of stairs that I have ridden many times on my 20 and also a few times on my 29, but I tend to be very cautious on unfamiliar unicycles, especially if they have little handlebars pointing at my crotch, so I didn't do it. The owner of the uni tried a couple of times but kept falling off. I am pretty sure it would be one of the best ever for going down the stairs, though, and there is probably a lot of other fun stuff you could do with it once you got used to it.
Old 2018-06-28, 04:47 AM   #110
Scoox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Nicely done! UDC recommends putting handlebars on it, but when I borrowed one for a few minutes, the handlebars were the one thing I didn't like. That's probably just because I'm not used to handlebars, though. I wanted to ride it down a flight of stairs that I have ridden many times on my 20 and also a few times on my 29, but I tend to be very cautious on unfamiliar unicycles, especially if they have little handlebars pointing at my crotch, so I didn't do it. The owner of the uni tried a couple of times but kept falling off. I am pretty sure it would be one of the best ever for going down the stairs, though, and there is probably a lot of other fun stuff you could do with it once you got used to it.
Handlebars on it, you mean on the 27.5er? Not sure how I would get on with handlebars, esp. at this moment. Initially I rode with both arms in the air waving like mad, and now I can ride with either hand on the saddle handle while the other stays in the air for steering and balance. I've seen people riding with both hands on the saddle or on handlebars but at my level I honestly can't fathom how that'd be possible considering how much I rely on my 'free' arm for balance and steering. I suppose it'll come to me, in time.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to riding the bigger wheel. Basic geometry tells me it's not going to be a whole lot faster than the 20er, at least not in terms of meters per revolution, but I'm hoping the flat saddle, lower crank to wheel diameter ratio and the increased wheel diameter and lower roll resistance combined will make the ride less taxing and therefore easier to sustain for periods of time long enough to enable me to use it for short commutes. Right now the biggest limiting factor is going to be weather. It's 30°C @ 70~80% humidity (more some times), 12:00 PM, and I just went to the bank and back, about 1200m total, and I'm ready to jump in the shower. It's going to be a blast though after summer :

Last edited by Scoox; 2018-06-28 at 04:48 AM.
Old 2018-06-29, 05:41 AM   #111
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Handlebars on it, you mean on the 27.5er?
Yes, that's what I meant. I'm not sure why UDC (US) recommends putting them on the KH27.5, as it's not a touring unicycle, and touring is the only kind of riding I know where you really need handle bars, but some people do use them for other stuff.
Old 2018-06-29, 09:31 AM   #112
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Yes, that's what I meant. I'm not sure why UDC (US) recommends putting them on the KH27.5, as it's not a touring unicycle, and touring is the only kind of riding I know where you really need handle bars, but some people do use them for other stuff.
Nearly all the Kris Holm team riders seem to have switched to a short T-Bar setup, apparently it is really ergonomic compared to having a regular handle and a brake lever under the seat. The normal handle combined with the brake lever under the seat is a disaster from an ergonomic point of view.
Old 2018-06-30, 12:51 PM   #113
Scoox
Unicyclist

I'll skip the handlebars for now, I suppose I can add them later if I need them. The new uni arrived today but I've not been able to go and collect the parcel from the nearby delivery company as it was pouring down, hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to pick it up and, more importantly, take it for a spin.

Tags
length, question, quick, seat, tube