Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-10-08, 10:32 AM   #16
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I don't like head torches: they can be unfair to other road users,
I do agree with that. I remember people not looking too happy when I turned to them wishing them a good evening. My helmet light is very bright and isn't pleasant to look into.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 11:29 AM   #17
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

If you actually want to ride off-road at night then I would recommend both head light and frame light.

I use a cheap Chinese X2 light that claims to produce 5000 lumins. It does not, but still very good. My guess is that it gives out about 3000 lumins at full wack but... what is good about it is that it gives a really good pattern. Broad and tapered light that makes it possible to ride comfortably in the dark off-road. The light is cheap and I end up stripping the batteries and rewiring them or they blow up (yes, I mean that!). The cable to the light it self has been replaced several times. I have used it at least twice a week in the winter for the last 4 years.

I then also put an LED strip light type front light on the legs of the frame. This gives you profiling of the ground in front of you. It does blind you every time you mount though, so I get used to mounting with my eyes closed.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 03:47 PM   #18
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeratunicycledotcom View Post
...It does blind you every time you mount though, so I get used to mounting with my eyes closed.

Roger
Ha! Yup, this can be a problem. Nothing like getting speared in the eyeballs with a bright light just as you go to mount and ride off. I'm intrigued by the eyes shut mount.

While they're not so good for seeing ahead of you, I have a strand of color-morphing LEDs around the rim of my 29", and they're great for showing you the immediate vicinity around the wheel. They also light up the pedals when mounting. The LEDs are woven through the spokes and the battery pack attaches to the spokes as well. They also provide a ton of visibility from the side.
Old 2018-10-18, 04:43 AM   #19
JimT
Unicyclist

Here is my take on lighting. I used two 50 lumen lights, one on my head and just under the saddle for the main lights. Also had a smaller maker light under the seat shining down to light the pedals for mounting. The set up seems to work fine in the dark area I was riding. Maybe brighter lights would be good if there were street lights or lights from cars that would spoil your night vision.
Then just for some bling I added the red, white and blue lights on the wheel.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-18, 03:25 PM   #20
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Neat photo! The pattern from the wheel lights reminds me of the spyrograph toy I played with as a kid.

Tags
night, rider