Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-08-05, 12:36 PM   #1
UnicycleSam123
MUni

Impact Gravity or KH trials unicycle?

Hi i am looking to get a good trials unicycle at a budget of £400 the two that look best are the Impact gravity and the KH trials at the moment i am leaning towards the impact but have no idea if it is any good as i have never read a review of it. also the impact comes with choice of cranks which is better 130mm or 140mm

any advice would be much appreciated, Thank you

Sam

Source for images - http://www.unicycle.uk.com/
Attached Images

UnicycleSam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 12:57 PM   #2
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
140 for trials 130 for street and flat, i prefer the kh for foot on crown trick and i hate the impacts neck length in long neck form, the impact has a better tire but the seat is like a wet noodle compared to the kh, if it were my money it would be a long neck kh with spirits
Old 2013-08-06, 01:09 PM   #3
raguse
Unicyclist

Wink

Go the KH .. I have thrashed the crap out of mine and it is like new, strongest uni on the market without a doubt, I can see why it's such a pricey uni now, the impact is great too, it all comes down to personal preference I think.

"A: I'm paying for it in instalments mate! "
raguse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 01:28 PM   #4
knoxuni
wes style!!

I like the kh overall, if the impact frame was longer in the longneck version and had better cranks it would be my favorite
Old 2013-08-07, 06:25 AM   #5
nickjb
Occasionally here

I was pretty underwhelmed with my kh20. The seat clamp failed on the first ride, the frame snapped after not much use and it was the worst built wheel I've ever owned. It was light and pretty, though. Just bought an Impact Muni frame, first impressions are good.
Wednesdays, 8:30. All welcome
nickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 11:39 AM   #6
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

Weird. What were you doing with it? Throwing it out of moving cars?
kahunacohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 02:05 PM   #7
knoxuni
wes style!!

In all fair ness. Snapped a kh frame and have a bent impact gravity frame but they are not ment to last for ever, amdahl the wheel is machines built so you NEED to tighten the spokes first ride.
Old 2013-08-07, 05:53 PM   #8
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Older KHs had problems breaking. Newer frames are reinforced (I think 2011 and later)

Three of the five new unis I've gotten came w/ loose spokes.

Personally I'd get the KH for its versatility.

Also Moments (137mm on that uni) have a couple mm more Q-factor and Spirits one or two more than that. It seems most don't like QF, I do. I've ridden cranks w/ much more QF than Spirits and never tried a crank that had too much for me.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2013-08-07 at 05:54 PM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 01:53 AM   #9
knoxuni
wes style!!

I am not a huge fan of cranks with no q. But I broke a 2012 frame so I can't say much
Old 2013-08-08, 07:05 PM   #10
UnicycleSam123
MUni

Thanks for all the good advice, i have a few questions

1. what is Q factor?

2. what is wrong with the length of impacts long neck frame is it to long or to short? i am 6 foot 5 inches so am looking to get a frame that allows me to get the seat as high as possible

3. are the components of both compatible with each other e.g. putting a KH frame on an impact wheel set and putting KH cranks on an impact hub?

Thank you

Sam
Old 2013-08-08, 08:05 PM   #11
minikumi
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicycleSam123 View Post
1. what is Q factor?
Q-factor is how much the crank bends outwards. So if it has zero Q-factor, the crank is completely straight and if there's 10mm Q-factor the pedal end of the crank is 10mm further away from the hub than the other end of the crank. Generally a bit Q-factor feels more stable when doing for example trials.

Quote:
3. are the components of both compatible with each other e.g. putting a KH frame on an impact wheel set and putting KH cranks on an impact hub?
Yeah, they are. As long as it's ISIS compatible you're good to go with pretty much anything.

From my own experience I'd recommend you to go for KH. It's got more advantages than Impact IMO, for example the seat, unless you upgrade to carbon fiber seat base the naomi with it's Velo base is reaally flexy and the wheelset which according to what I've seen is not quite as strong as the KH one. The Impact Gravity frame is a bit nicer for your knees but that's no big deal if you wear any shin/knee guards, which I strongly recommend you to do.

Lastly, if you are on facebook you should join the Unicycle Chat -group since most trial/street/flat riders have moved there from here. Muni and road advice here on the forums is superb though

Just my 2 cents, sorry for a bit long post

Last edited by minikumi; 2013-08-08 at 08:06 PM.
minikumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 08:13 PM   #12
emile
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to emile
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilewis74 View Post
Older KHs had problems breaking. Newer frames are reinforced (I think 2011 and later)

Three of the five new unis I've gotten came w/ loose spokes.
They've been reinforced since 2008.

A new wheel will make the spoke work and get the right tension, it's normal that the spokes loosen in the first few rides.

Quote:
Thanks for all the good advice, i have a few questions

1. what is Q factor?

2. what is wrong with the length of impacts long neck frame is it to long or to short? i am 6 foot 5 inches so am looking to get a frame that allows me to get the seat as high as possible

Thank you

Sam
1. The distance between both pedals.

Here is the difference between q-factors

2. I'm 6'3", I recommand you get a longneck frame, the KH also comes in longneck: http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles...-unicycle.html

3. Pretty much everything is interchangeable.

Last edited by emile; 2013-08-08 at 08:16 PM.
emile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 08:33 PM   #13
unigoat
Uni CX is a thing.

Quote:
What is wrong with the length of impacts long neck frame is it to long or to short? i am 6 foot 5 inches so am looking to get a frame that allows me to get the seat as high as possible
Definitely be careful and steer clear of the KH regular frame pictured. The KH Longneck would be fine, but the regular frame is really short. I need a 400mm post to make it work and I'm only 6' 1" (rounding up...).
unigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 11:18 PM   #14
knoxuni
wes style!!

I'm 6'4 and a long neck is a must, a impact longneck is a silly length. Kh is a lot better I just want a longer neck in general
Old 2013-08-09, 09:54 AM   #15
UnicycleSam123
MUni

Thank you for all the help

i think i have decided to go with the KH long neck but would the Monty eagle claw fit on the KH rim with the KH inner tube as it says it is wider or would i have to get a bigger inner tube as well?

Thank you

Sam

Tags
gravity, impact, trials, unicycle