Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-10-04, 04:37 AM   #976
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit
 
LargeEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Age: 56
Posts: 1,387
Well done and happy birthday!
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 01:32 PM   #977
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 325
Been focusing more on hops today, since I mostly just ride 6-8km. Now that I have more time to ride, I can use some more time on other sides of uni-ing. I still don't have the rolling hop under control, but today I took my trials out and managed to ride and hop and ride and hop for more than a few times. Also been focusing more on how I hold my body while hopping. A few more days and I should be able to have more control and only give single hops when losing balance. The biggest prob when starting to hop from riding, is hanging back too much, so I dismount.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 08:08 PM   #978
Vertigo
Unicyclist
 
Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradahj View Post
"Today I rode really far.....from the basketball hoop to the stairs. I did it a bunch of times. My dad said it was about 50 feet. Tomorrow is my birthday. I'm getting a cake that looks like a unicycle."
Wow, that's great! Keep it up and Happy Birthday.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 08:13 PM   #979
Vertigo
Unicyclist
 
Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Been focusing more on hops today, since I mostly just ride 6-8km. Now that I have more time to ride, I can use some more time on other sides of uni-ing. I still don't have the rolling hop under control, but today I took my trials out and managed to ride and hop and ride and hop for more than a few times. Also been focusing more on how I hold my body while hopping. A few more days and I should be able to have more control and only give single hops when losing balance. The biggest prob when starting to hop from riding, is hanging back too much, so I dismount.
Keep it up! I also tend to focus on just riding rather than gaining new skills.

Lately I've been working on idling and it's coming along much better. I still can't ride into an idle though. I've been also working on hopping. Everyone says it's so easy. I ride forward and hop a few times then ride off. Don't think I can do it from a stand still and certainly not more than a few times.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-10, 05:27 PM   #980
aracer
Registered Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Malvern, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 1,711
Like everything it's easy if you practice enough. Though useful to do effective practice. I learned to hop by first doing it holding onto something (that's my standard technique for learning any "static" skill - I wish there was a method as effective for non static skills - it also worked well for learning to idle and hop on my giraffe recently). Hop holding on, then let go for a few hops and gradually build up until I could hop all day. Riding in and out of hopping is another skill, but basically just involves being able to stall and hop into a riding position.
__________________
Unicycling: great for your thighs.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-12, 03:15 PM   #981
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 325
I'm so happy right now. I hadn't ridden the 36" in nearly year, because I had so much trouble mounting it last time. I had spent an hour of trying without any progress, which didn't make much sense, because I had ridden it successfully before. Anyways today, after reading all those threads about the 36er, I thought to try again. Sure at the start it was impossible. Couldn't even climb up while holding to a tree. Then as I decided to try the free mount again, I managed to get on and ride, dismount gracefully and mount again, then ride a km around the park, dismount and mount again and ride another round and straight home.
Now I have the problem that I have 2 things to focus on: hopping with the 20" and riding the 36" ^_^ If only I had Hermione's ring from Harry Potter where she could relive the same time of day twice.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 05:54 PM   #982
Onewheelhenni
Independent unicyclist
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Weilerswist, Germany
Posts: 55
Today I

rode 48 minutes without dismount!

The crotch is the limit!!!
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 07:03 PM   #983
aj1500
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Savannah Ga
Age: 55
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni;1688912n
The crotch is the limit!!!
HAHAHA that is so true
__________________
24" Torker LX
aj1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 07:49 PM   #984
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
rode 48 minutes without dismount!
Congrats OneWheelHenni, when did you start learning to unicycle?

Last edited by Setonix; 2017-10-13 at 07:49 PM.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 10:32 PM   #985
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist
 
lightbulbjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I'm so happy right now. I hadn't ridden the 36" in nearly year, because I had so much trouble mounting it last time. I had spent an hour of trying without any progress, which didn't make much sense, because I had ridden it successfully before. Anyways today, after reading all those threads about the 36er, I thought to try again. Sure at the start it was impossible. Couldn't even climb up while holding to a tree. Then as I decided to try the free mount again, I managed to get on and ride, dismount gracefully and mount again, then ride a km around the park, dismount and mount again and ride another round and straight home.
Now I have the problem that I have 2 things to focus on: hopping with the 20" and riding the 36" ^_^ If only I had Hermione's ring from Harry Potter where she could relive the same time of day twice.
Nice! FWIW I think climbing/starting a 36 via a fence/tree is way harder than freemounting it.
__________________
Unicycling is the fountain of youth.
lightbulbjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-14, 04:38 PM   #986
Onewheelhenni
Independent unicyclist
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Weilerswist, Germany
Posts: 55
@Setonix: I've been learning for 15 months now. Actually, this is the first time I felt the crotch limit, because normally traffic of various kinds forces me off the uni long before.
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-14, 11:51 PM   #987
Uni Klein
Hooked For Life!
 
Uni Klein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
rode 48 minutes without dismount!

The crotch is the limit!!!


Nice! What saddle are you using?
__________________
If your not sore, your not ridin' long enough!
Uni Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Today I... (brag thread) fuolornis General Unicycling Discussions 9935 2011-05-13 12:56 PM
Yesterday I...(Brag thread 2) Tyler_N General Unicycling Discussions 37 2009-05-13 12:24 PM
2 Days Ago I.... (Brag Thread 3) The.Mars.Volta General Unicycling Discussions 89 2008-11-17 06:51 AM
Today I....(non-brag) hobo_chuck General Unicycling Discussions 22 2008-11-02 06:40 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
You Rated this Thread:
Page generated in 0.09096 seconds with 12 queries