Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-10-04, 04:37 AM   #976
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Well done and happy birthday!
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 01:32 PM   #977
Setonix
Unicyclist

Been focusing more on hops today, since I mostly just ride 6-8km. Now that I have more time to ride, I can use some more time on other sides of uni-ing. I still don't have the rolling hop under control, but today I took my trials out and managed to ride and hop and ride and hop for more than a few times. Also been focusing more on how I hold my body while hopping. A few more days and I should be able to have more control and only give single hops when losing balance. The biggest prob when starting to hop from riding, is hanging back too much, so I dismount.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 08:08 PM   #978
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradahj View Post
"Today I rode really far.....from the basketball hoop to the stairs. I did it a bunch of times. My dad said it was about 50 feet. Tomorrow is my birthday. I'm getting a cake that looks like a unicycle."
Wow, that's great! Keep it up and Happy Birthday.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 08:13 PM   #979
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Been focusing more on hops today, since I mostly just ride 6-8km. Now that I have more time to ride, I can use some more time on other sides of uni-ing. I still don't have the rolling hop under control, but today I took my trials out and managed to ride and hop and ride and hop for more than a few times. Also been focusing more on how I hold my body while hopping. A few more days and I should be able to have more control and only give single hops when losing balance. The biggest prob when starting to hop from riding, is hanging back too much, so I dismount.
Keep it up! I also tend to focus on just riding rather than gaining new skills.

Lately I've been working on idling and it's coming along much better. I still can't ride into an idle though. I've been also working on hopping. Everyone says it's so easy. I ride forward and hop a few times then ride off. Don't think I can do it from a stand still and certainly not more than a few times.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-10, 05:27 PM   #980
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Like everything it's easy if you practice enough. Though useful to do effective practice. I learned to hop by first doing it holding onto something (that's my standard technique for learning any "static" skill - I wish there was a method as effective for non static skills - it also worked well for learning to idle and hop on my giraffe recently). Hop holding on, then let go for a few hops and gradually build up until I could hop all day. Riding in and out of hopping is another skill, but basically just involves being able to stall and hop into a riding position.
Old 2017-10-12, 03:15 PM   #981
Setonix
Unicyclist

I'm so happy right now. I hadn't ridden the 36" in nearly year, because I had so much trouble mounting it last time. I had spent an hour of trying without any progress, which didn't make much sense, because I had ridden it successfully before. Anyways today, after reading all those threads about the 36er, I thought to try again. Sure at the start it was impossible. Couldn't even climb up while holding to a tree. Then as I decided to try the free mount again, I managed to get on and ride, dismount gracefully and mount again, then ride a km around the park, dismount and mount again and ride another round and straight home.
Now I have the problem that I have 2 things to focus on: hopping with the 20" and riding the 36" ^_^ If only I had Hermione's ring from Harry Potter where she could relive the same time of day twice.
Old 2017-10-13, 05:54 PM   #982
Onewheelhenni
Independent unicyclist

Today I

rode 48 minutes without dismount!

The crotch is the limit!!!
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 07:03 PM   #983
aj1500
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni;1688912n
HAHAHA that is so true
Old 2017-10-13, 07:49 PM   #984
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
Congrats OneWheelHenni, when did you start learning to unicycle?

Last edited by Setonix; 2017-10-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 2017-10-13, 10:32 PM   #985
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I'm so happy right now. I hadn't ridden the 36" in nearly year, because I had so much trouble mounting it last time. I had spent an hour of trying without any progress, which didn't make much sense, because I had ridden it successfully before. Anyways today, after reading all those threads about the 36er, I thought to try again. Sure at the start it was impossible. Couldn't even climb up while holding to a tree. Then as I decided to try the free mount again, I managed to get on and ride, dismount gracefully and mount again, then ride a km around the park, dismount and mount again and ride another round and straight home.
Now I have the problem that I have 2 things to focus on: hopping with the 20" and riding the 36" ^_^ If only I had Hermione's ring from Harry Potter where she could relive the same time of day twice.
Nice! FWIW I think climbing/starting a 36 via a fence/tree is way harder than freemounting it.
Old 2017-10-14, 04:38 PM   #986
Onewheelhenni
Independent unicyclist

@Setonix: I've been learning for 15 months now. Actually, this is the first time I felt the crotch limit, because normally traffic of various kinds forces me off the uni long before.
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-14, 11:51 PM   #987
Uni Klein
Hooked For Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post

Nice! What saddle are you using?

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2