Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-04-23, 07:35 AM   #31
munirocks
GUnirocks

You might regret that when you're on a long trip in the middle of nowhere and your T7 suddenly breaks. It will happen, it's only a question of when and where. It happened to me and to many others. In case you really do want to get a T7 I would suggest having it reinforced with some additional metal plates. If you do a search you'll find pictures of that. But then you will need welding to be done.

By the way making my handle bar didn't involve any welding. It's all aluminum bicycle parts available at your lbs. You'd only have to make sure that everything fits exactly into each other. I had a lot of fun building mine up.
Old 2009-04-23, 08:00 AM   #32
iAmVincent
Frazzle Dazzle

Send a message via AIM to iAmVincent
Intriguing...
Old 2009-04-23, 01:53 PM   #33
Joseppi
Team Zombie!

Send a message via AIM to Joseppi
Yeah, if you use a T7, you should weld some steel triangle supports on the front and rear vertical plates that surround the rails. I'm taking all precautions on mine, if you got to see the picture form the other thread. I haven't done the welding yet, but it's coming soon. In the meantime, I've done all sorts of other strengthening mods.......and in the process built the first ever combination of a unicycle and a compound bow.

Team Roadshow

"people have been having sex since probably the 70's, maybe earlier" -- tumbles
Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 05:52 AM   #34
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

well, I couldn't get the Zero saddle to mate with the Nightfox so...Name:  20151031_194603.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  42.4 KB
Way better than that Nimbus Gell, but I might need to tilt it forward just a tad more.
Old 2015-11-03, 09:40 AM   #35
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Looks great. Which saddle did you use?
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 06:52 PM   #36
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I can't remember the model name but it is made by WTB, I have probably had it for a dozen years (mostly on my b*ke)
Old 2015-11-03, 08:29 PM   #37
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
I couldn't get the Zero saddle to mate with the Nightfox
I have a Zero saddle mounted to a standard Shadow base. Isn't the Nightfox saddle mount effectively the same thing?
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 09:40 PM   #38
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
I have a Zero saddle mounted to a standard Shadow base. Isn't the Nightfox saddle mount effectively the same thing?
Not quite, The Shadow base connects to the rear bumper bolts, the Nightfox connects to the rear seatpost bolts.

I am sure I could have made it work but it would not have been a nice low profile mounting. I do eventually want to make a nice big wheel that fills all that space under the frame
Old 2015-11-03, 10:15 PM   #39
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Not quite, The Shadow base connects to the rear bumper bolts, the Nightfox connects to the rear seatpost bolts.

I am sure I could have made it work but it would not have been a nice low profile mounting. I do eventually want to make a nice big wheel that fills all that space under the frame
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Look forward to seeing your big wheel!

On a side note, it would be great if all the unicycle manufactures transitioned to using pivotal mounts for all saddles. It seems like such a good fit for our use case.
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 08:47 AM   #40
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
On a side note, it would be great if all the unicycle manufactures transitioned to using pivotal mounts for all saddles. It seems like such a good fit for our use case.
Oh no, please not! When I think back, which big differences even one degree in saddle tilting made for sitting comfort, the 6 degree pattern of the pivotal posts seems not to be practical.
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 02:30 PM   #41
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
We are all waiting to see it! What's the biggest you think will fit (Allowing
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 06:49 PM   #42
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I could probably fit a 54" wheel but plan to make a 48 for now, and by "plan" I mean "eventually get around to" it's been on the back burner for a couple years.
Old 2015-11-04, 07:04 PM   #43
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
Oh no, please not! When I think back, which big differences even one degree in saddle tilting made for sitting comfort, the 6 degree pattern of the pivotal posts seems not to be practical.
There was a discussion a while back about this.

Pivotal seatposts seem to be designed with strong, simple, and light in mind, but mostly they're used on bikes where the saddle isn't used very much at all.

Someone proposed making the seatpost non-symmetrical by 3 degrees so you could at least get twice the adjustment points. I'm not sure why pivotal seatposts haven't always been made that way. It just makes sense and would take very minimal changes to the design.

My favorite seatpost style is still the double bolt. You can tweak that sucker into whatever angle you want very easily and methodically. (by just loosening one side and tightening the other by the same amount.)

Tags
36er, bike, handlebars, seat