Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2020-01-21, 04:15 AM   #1
scotty watty
Unicyclist

Joined The Family

Finally went for it.....got my first unicycle....got a lot of practicing to do...but looking forward to learning and being able to ride it.
scotty watty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-21, 05:10 AM   #2
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Show us a picture!
Old 2020-01-21, 08:25 AM   #3
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty watty View Post
Finally went for it.....got my first unicycle....got a lot of practicing to do...but looking forward to learning and being able to ride it.
Promising trait. "got my first unicycle" rather than "got a unicycle".

What kind of uni did you get?
Old 2020-01-21, 10:45 AM   #4
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Promising trait. "got my first unicycle" rather than "got a unicycle".
LOL! Too true!

Also welcome scotty watty.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-21, 02:44 PM   #5
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

From one beginner to another, welcome! I got a ton of great help here.
Chief
Nimbus 24"
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-21, 11:54 PM   #6
Alucard
Unicyclist

Welcome scotty watty
Congratulations on getting your first Unicycle.
Enjoy !
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-22, 04:39 AM   #7
slamdance
Unicyclist

Status Report!!

Quote:
If you have the time, let's have a weekly report of your progress.
Whether you have a "break through" or you "finally got it" doesn't matter.
There are a few "other people" in your same situation, and you may be able to inspire them to continue.

Also, do your own "independent research" on what the internet/youtube has to offer on "tips". Then let us know if it worked or not.

Keep on.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-22, 05:57 AM   #8
scotty watty
Unicyclist

Will keep in touch regarding my progress...got a Nimbus 29" Road Unicycle...went big...what the heck...i wanted something sturdy..should arrive on monday...awesome support here....been looking at a lot of videos regarding how to start off...i should learn in about 1/2 hour... lol..just joking...will be patient .... i know it will take a lot of time and practice... but it looks like a great workout...which i am looking for...
Old 2020-01-22, 06:01 AM   #9
scotty watty
Unicyclist

i guess i should have said "bought"...monday i can say "got"
Old 2020-01-22, 06:08 AM   #10
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
...got a Nimbus 29" Road Unicycle...
That is pretty ambitious as a starter. The saddle will seem a very long way off the ground. But people have learnt on all sizes. The advantage of a big uni is it responds slowly so doesn't pop out as easily as a 20.

Definitely get protection, especially wrist protection and a helmet, before you even start.

If it has multihole cranks put the the pedals on the longest.
Old 2020-01-22, 06:24 AM   #11
scotty watty
Unicyclist

OneTrackMind...for sure...got a helmet, wrist protection and well as knee and elbow....safety first... 29 is ambitious.... but looking for a crusing bike for the cardio...hopefully get into the mile(s) range once i get it wired... i was hit by a drunk drive a long time ago and it messed up my left shin mucsle..so it makes it hard to jog...my left foot flops after a while and i end up tripping (same with power walking)...looking for something new...a new challenge...along with a good workout...
Old 2020-01-22, 07:19 AM   #12
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
...looking for something new...a new challenge...along with a good workout...
You will definitely get all that on a 29 inch unicycle.

I see that you are very tall and quite heavy so the 29er is probably a good choice ultimately.

We might be able to help especially if you can post some videos. A view from the side can be particularly useful. It's difficult to stay in shot from the side once you get moving but you probably won't have to worry about that for a while.

I always encourage beginners to start out on grass because the first skill to develop is the emergency dismount. You won't be riding far at first. The grass needs to be really smooth so no holes or tussocks. Thick turf and a slight downhill to compensate for the rolling resistance is ideal. A big wheel rolls over grass quite well. Once you can routinely abort the attempt when it is going wrong and occasionally stay on for a couple of turns, then move to a smooth flat surface.

Spend a little while getting the feel for the uni while holding onto something but don't linger too long with fences. The skill is less about balance and more about steering the wheel under a continuous fall so riding into the open is important.
Old 2020-01-22, 02:00 PM   #13
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

You might consider picking up a cheap 20" on CL for learning. If you keep at it, you will learn on the 29", but it may take you more time. Mounting (getting on the unicycle) in particular is going to be more of a challenge on the larger wheel.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Good luck!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-22, 02:59 PM   #14
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

I, too, wanted to start on a 29", but got good advice here to pick up a smaller wheel to learn. I called unicycle.com before they shipped my order, and they also strongly suggested I start smaller and they actually swapped out my order.

The other thing to think about is you will beat the CRAP out of your first unicycle as you learn (seat and pedals especially), so you may want an additional "sacrificial" uni to start.

I am very glad I started on 24". I plan to get a 32" by this summer once I have more basic skills down.

Chief

Last edited by BHChieftain; 2020-01-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 2020-01-22, 03:45 PM   #15
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

One other point on the quest for cardio-- this also was the reason I wanted to get to a larger wheel. I kept seeing videos of people buzzing around on 20-24" unicycles effortlessly...

However, I'm about 1.5 months into riding, and I can mount and ride the 24 for as long as my heart rate can stand it-- which is only about 200'. Then I have to jump off before my chest explodes.

That's because at my stage I have way too much weight on the pedals vs. the seat, which is due to using legs/pedals too much to balance as I ride. The result is my legs constantly fight each other every rotation and it ramps up my heart rate big time.

I am trying very hard to get more and more weight on the seat but that is a slow process! That's why I think it won't be until summer before I can benefit from a larger wheel for any kind of distance riding.

Chief

Last edited by BHChieftain; 2020-01-22 at 03:46 PM.

Tags
family, joined