Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2020-01-01, 11:23 PM   #61
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

I think I heard the "click".

Ride on!
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-02, 02:44 AM   #62
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Excellent! Solid progress. I took over a month to get to that point, for which I blame lack of talent and clinging to a fence. I reckon your seat is a bit too low. I recommend raising it a smidge (not by too much at once, or the uni will feel too different). You'll feel your weight more on the seat.
Got it, thanks!
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-03, 07:21 PM   #63
song
Unicyclist

In the beginning of my unicycling career, I got hooked on rollback mounts, and it took me a couple of years to fully grasp the error of my ways. You won't have that problem because your learning method has forced you to nearly replicate the static mount, but in any case the time has come for you to ditch the wooden block!
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 02:40 PM   #64
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
but in any case the time has come for you to ditch the wooden block!
Instead of ditching it, what about decreasing the size of the block? If Chief rarely rolls backwards over the block, then the block may be too big. And if he's putting too much pressure backwards onto the block, he may end up doing an undesirable, roll-back mount without the block.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 04:21 PM   #65
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

I'm planning on keeping the brick so I can focus on better control riding around. I can get to 50-100 feet but am still losing balance and falling off. It also takes me 3-4 attempts before I get a long run in.

Once I get better at that, then I'll work on a true static mount-- I like the idea of using a shorter and shorter backstop to wean off it. I'll let you know when I get to a popsicle stick... =8^)

Chief

PS, Raising the seat a bit really did help my last ride-- I had forgotten that I intentionally had it a bit low to start out.. thanks for that tip

Last edited by BHChieftain; 2020-01-04 at 04:25 PM.
Old 2020-01-04, 05:38 PM   #66
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

When I learned as a kid and started getting some 30 ft to 50 ft rides in I drilled a hole in a piece of 2" x 2" and tied a piece of string about 10 ft long from it to the seat. It never caused problems dragging behind me and allowed me to mount anywhere. Only needed it a day or two.
DaUniGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 06:08 PM   #67
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
PS, Raising the seat a bit really did help my last ride-- I had forgotten that I intentionally had it a bit low to start out.. thanks for that tip
When beginners pivot right and left, they are making corrections, but those corrections look sometimes like over-corrections. They are pivoting too far. I wonder if raising the seat might stabilize the uni better and limit the angle of these corrections, still allowing the rider to pivot but keeping the corrections from throwing the rider even more out of control.

If you raise the seat, I suggest you do it incrementally over a period of days or weeks and in small amounts. If, at this stage, you feel it's interfering with safe dismounts, then maybe you've raised it too far.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-05, 11:36 PM   #68
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Day 20: Static free mount!

Got a little bored today and decided to see if I could do a proper static freemount in my driveway to get off my brick backstop (took Canoeheadtead's advice from another thread to try at a spot that has a slight decline).

I was surprised that it only took me 3 attempts! Did that about a dozen times in my sloped driveway then tried on the street. Had a couple of topples with too much pressure on the back foot but figured it out pretty quick.

Chief
Old 2020-01-06, 12:33 AM   #69
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Got a little bored today and decided to see if I could do a proper static freemount in my driveway to get off my brick backstop (took Canoeheadtead's advice from another thread to try at a spot that has a slight decline).

I was surprised that it only took me 3 attempts! Did that about a dozen times in my sloped driveway then tried on the street. Had a couple of topples with too much pressure on the back foot but figured it out pretty quick.

Chief
Brilliant!
Old 2020-01-06, 12:58 AM   #70
wobblysteve
Unicyclist

Quote:
I can ride, albeit poorly, the unicycle!

https://youtu.be/XLmc9BTKbhM

Big call out to "coffeecupcowboy" whose method I followed.
https://youtu.be/U4nAn7yBXSM

Thanks everybody for your encouragement and tips!

Chief
Horray! Well done mate. You are doing really well...
wobblysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-06, 08:50 AM   #71
Richard C
cautious n00b

Quote:

Chief
Excellent! That's very rapid progress.
Old 2020-01-10, 04:00 AM   #72
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Day 24- static free mount (final video)

Hi,
This should be my final video-- day 24.

Static free mount and rode as far as I could before I had to stop due to exhaustion (which is unfortunately only a few hundred feet).
https://youtu.be/INMCwf_pV6g

I've been studying UniMyra's video on the static free mount and found it to be really helpful: https://youtu.be/yqWtEBgG300

In a thread discussing this video, UniMyra used the analogy of putting pressure into the seat and letting the unicycle lift him up, more like a pole vault vs. a jump. That concept really helped!

Chief
Old 2020-01-10, 04:08 AM   #73
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Hi,
This should be my final video-- day 24.

Static free mount and rode as far as I could before I had to stop due to exhaustion (which is unfortunately only a few hundred feet).
https://youtu.be/INMCwf_pV6g

Chief
All looking great! The only negative is didn't you ride back to the camera.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-10, 04:25 AM   #74
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
All looking great! The only negative is didn't you ride back to the camera.
For all these 24 days I've only practiced riding West to East, with the earth's rotation. I'm sure I'll need another month of practice to ride against the earth rotation...

Chief
Old 2020-01-10, 09:04 AM   #75
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
For all these 24 days I've only practiced riding West to East, with the earth's rotation. I'm sure I'll need another month of practice to ride against the earth rotation...

Chief
Hmmm, better not try north/south yet as the Coriolis effect can really throw out your unicycling. Actually, I don't even know how you northern hemisphere guys can ride straight at all.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspiration