Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-12-16, 11:23 AM   #31
wobblysteve
Unicyclist

Keep up the good work Chief...
I haven't tried mounting properly yet... I have been pushing of from my gate and trying to ride forward...
My maximum distance is 12 meters after about 2 weeks of practice.
I will start trying to mount properly soon...
Here is what my practice looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja9NNip6Z3A
wobblysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-16, 03:49 PM   #32
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblysteve View Post
Keep up the good work Chief...
I haven't tried mounting properly yet... I have been pushing of from my gate and trying to ride forward...
My maximum distance is 12 meters after about 2 weeks of practice.
I will start trying to mount properly soon...
Here is what my practice looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja9NNip6Z3A
That's awesome! I only have a few 1- 1.5 revolutions under my belt. I suppose between the 2 of us we've got it down...

=8^)

Chief
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-21, 04:09 AM   #33
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Day6

Tremendous progress today!

Changes:
1) Upgraded body armor to include shin guards
2) Holding on to the seat during mounting
3) Looking at the pedal as I step on
4) Using my driveway to practice as it has a slight downhill slope

I was unable to get past the 1/2 day mark down the driveway for a long time (which is about 2 revolutions). Until the end of this video!!!

https://youtu.be/h_pY5FBFUls

Thanks for all the help!
Chief
Old 2019-12-21, 04:22 AM   #34
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post

Changes:

I was unable to get past the 1/2 day mark down the driveway for a long time (which is about 2 revolutions). Until the end of this video!!!

Thanks for all the help!
Chief
Cool! Now find a tennis court or empty car park, because you need to find space to ride longer distances, your driveway is just too short!
Old 2019-12-21, 07:34 AM   #35
Unigan
Unicyclist

Quote:

Changes:

Thanks for all the help!
Chief
Awesome progress you're going to need more room to spread your wings
Unigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-23, 05:04 AM   #36
wobblysteve
Unicyclist

Quote:

Changes:

Thanks for all the help!
Chief
Wow, that's fantastic progress - well done
wobblysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-23, 09:57 PM   #37
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Day9

Ok, so I tried a few days ago to just "ride off" and found that while I can get up on the uni and get a 1/2 rotation in, I was having a really hard time getting a consistent additional rotation in without losing my balance. I decided to focus on a good mount + 1 1/2 rotation + controlled dismount. I can get that at about 50% of the time now. Once I can get that 10 times in a row or so I'll work on getting in more distance.

First attempt was bad but next 2 were pretty good.

https://youtu.be/NYEuo5_hJl8

Chief
Old 2019-12-23, 10:03 PM   #38
Gockie

Quote:
Ok, so I tried a few days ago to just "ride off" and found that while I can get up on the uni and get a 1/2 rotation in, I was having a really hard time getting a consistent additional rotation in without losing my balance. I decided to focus on a good mount + 1 1/2 rotation + controlled dismount. I can get that at about 50% of the time now. Once I can get that 10 times in a row or so I'll work on getting in more distance.

Chief
Just watched your first... Sorry but I think you should practise away from the street and do it in a place where you won't encounter unprepared people and property. You are currently very dangerous to other people. A flying uncontrolled uni can do quite a bit of damage.
Can you find an enclosed tennis court or empty carpark to practise at?

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-12-23 at 10:07 PM.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-23, 10:08 PM   #39
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
Just watched your first... Sorry but I think you should practise away from the street and do it in a place where you won't encounter unprepared people and property. You are very dangerous to other people. A flying uncontrolled uni can do quite a bit of damage.
Can you find an enclosed tennis court to practise at?
I have a parking garage that has a lot of empty floors that I have been using. The sound of me smashing into the ground has a nice echo up there...

Chief
Old 2019-12-23, 10:16 PM   #40
Gockie

Quote:
I have a parking garage that has a lot of empty floors that I have been using. The sound of me smashing into the ground has a nice echo up there...

Chief
Perfect! The only things you'll damage there are yourself and the uni.
You won't have on your conscious accidently hurting some little kid or somebody's prized car and you won't cause a car accident. (You could still hurt something, but at least you took steps to minimise damage).

If you continued what you were doing you would have turned your neighbours against unicycling and unicyclists.

Go for your life in the empty carpark

Also, do you have any balcony at home? That also works as long as it has some length (and you don't have anything precious in the space).

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-12-23 at 10:18 PM.
Old 2019-12-23, 11:21 PM   #41
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:

Chief
Echoing what @Gockie said about a safe place, but otherwise I note in your videos you look at the ground. You go where you look so look ahead! I understand you may be looking at peddles for the mount (options on that topic have been expressed before) but looking where you go is very important. It's one of the basics of early unicycle learning along with body position. It also allows your body's natural balancing instincts to work properly when the eyes have a horizon.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-24, 01:04 AM   #42
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
Echoing what @Gockie said about a safe place, but otherwise I note in your videos you look at the ground. You go where you look so look ahead! I understand you may be looking at peddles for the mount (options on that topic have been expressed before) but looking where you go is very important. It's one of the basics of early unicycle learning along with body position. It also allows your body's natural balancing instincts to work properly when the eyes have a horizon.
Yeah, that is on my immediate “ to do “ list but I catch myself looking down a lot.
I’m trying to focus on more weight in the saddle, looking at the pedal as I step on, then look up. Obviously still struggling on that last one. I’m off work for 2 weeks so hope to get in a bunch of practice sessions.

I know these videos are pretty boring to watch but I really appreciate folks looking at them and giving me tips and warnings.

Chief
Old 2019-12-24, 07:38 PM   #43
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
I catch myself looking down a lot.
Looking ahead at the horizon definitely helps, but it is just one-of-many techniques for staying balanced. Looking down at your foot placement seems like a smart thing to do at the beginning of your mounts/rides. Once you're comfortable with that, you'll start looking up more.

When I was a beginner who could ride 100 feet, I tried riding one night after dark. The horizon was obscured in the dark, and I think for that reason I had trouble riding that night. Over time, as I improved, I could close my eyes and continue riding.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-24, 08:51 PM   #44
Gockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Looking ahead at the horizon definitely helps, but it is just one-of-many techniques for staying balanced. Looking down at your foot placement seems like a smart thing to do at the beginning of your mounts/rides. Once you're comfortable with that, you'll start looking up more.

When I was a beginner who could ride 100 feet, I tried riding one night after dark. The horizon was obscured in the dark, and I think for that reason I had trouble riding that night. Over time, as I improved, I could close my eyes and continue riding.
The dark can be bad for bumps... it hard to know how big they'll be so you get less time for your body to adjust. It's a bit freaky. Of course, if its somewhere you ride all the time, then you wont have this issue so much. But anywhere you haven't ridden before, you really have to be very aware.

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-12-24 at 08:53 PM.
Old 2019-12-25, 12:23 AM   #45
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
The dark can be bad for bumps... it hard to know how big they'll be so you get less time for your body to adjust. It's a bit freaky. Of course, if its somewhere you ride all the time, then you wont have this issue so much. But anywhere you haven't ridden before, you really have to be very aware.
Got to disagree, my worst and most painful UPD's have been at night on paths I travel many times, such as around Olympic Park and Lane Cove National Park. Complacency is the killer for night riding as assuming the riding technique is the same as during daytime, but in many ways it is very different and dangerous. In new locations my concentration is high and complacency low.

I've done at lot of night riding, no choice during winter, and have strict set of rules I try to follow one of which is forget about your Strava PR!
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspiration