Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Videos

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-12-24, 09:21 AM   #16
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
handlebars has been a real game changer in my unicycle practice, especially since I started to ride with my two hands on it 99% of the time.
before that (my first 5 unicycling years) my style was awful, I looked like I'm struggling to stay in balance, was twisted to a side, and was waving my arms around.
But since I learned to keep my hands on a handlebar I don't use my arms and shoulder for balance anymore, I use hips and lower core instead, and now if I ride without my arms on the handlebar, I just look relaxed and in control, my arms are just leaning along my body.

This handlebar-saddle design looks very interesting, let us know how the saddle feels for long distance rides.
If the profile pic is you.... I'm impressed!!!
Love black and white, the outfit and the scenery.
Old 2019-12-24, 01:49 PM   #17
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
If the profile pic is you.... I'm impressed!!!
Love black and white, the outfit and the scenery.
nope, I just took it cause I found this pic cool too.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-25, 05:30 PM   #18
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
handlebars has been a real game changer in my unicycle practice, especially since I started to ride with my two hands on it 99% of the time.
before that (my first 5 unicycling years) my style was awful, I looked like I'm struggling to stay in balance, was twisted to a side, and was waving my arms around.
But since I learned to keep my hands on a handlebar I don't use my arms and shoulder for balance anymore, I use hips and lower core instead, and now if I ride without my arms on the handlebar, I just look relaxed and in control, my arms are just leaning along my body.
I was lucky as a beginner to ride with Jamey Mossengren. He encouraged me to work toward getting both hands on the saddle-handle / bars. Without his guidance, it might have taken me a lot longer to get two hands on the saddle, and maybe it would never have happened.

What helped me the most learning to ride with two hands on the handlebars was practicing SIF (seat in front) technique on my 20". At first, I practiced SIF one-handed. That really stressed out the muscles in my arm. Later on, I was able to get both hands on the saddle and was able to relax more.

If you watch videos of advanced, technical downhill riders, they have one hand out for balance. I think that is the correct technique for extreme conditions where larger corrections need to be made. But for more controlled riding conditions, an arm out for balance seems like an over-correction.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 06:01 AM   #19
slamdance
Unicyclist

What happens when...

I'm concerned when you fall that the handle which is a "moment arm" will cause the seat to twist off-center each time it touches ground. Thus, requiring seat clamp adjustment each time. Is this a problem?
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 06:31 AM   #20
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
I'm concerned when you fall that the handle which is a "moment arm" will cause the seat to twist off-center each time it touches ground. Thus, requiring seat clamp adjustment each time. Is this a problem?
No different to any other handlebar...

Tags
36er, carbon, rim, simi, test, valley