Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-01-11, 11:34 PM   #16
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
glad everything is going well!
Old 2013-01-11, 11:42 PM   #17
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

BB Guns can be dangerous..... there was a 2 yearold child killed here a few years ago with one ......... thats why Scotland is currently working on legislation to licence them
Alan Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 12:23 AM   #18
uniShark
muni commuter

Stuff like that doesn't happen in Montana. More guns than people here (yes, really), and not much gun violence. Around here there is a decent chance the punks will get shot back at and they know it, even from Unicyclists.

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 06:41 AM   #19
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

In "Hind" sight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniShark View Post
Stuff like that doesn't happen in Montana. More guns than people here (yes, really), and not much gun violence. Around here there is a decent chance the punks will get shot back at and they know it, even from Unicyclists.
... I question the wisdom of placing myself standing infront of a car blocking the getaway of some dumb punks that had just shot me trusting they would not do something even more stupid during the standoff waiting for police backup.

I'm surprised the police didn't have a "safety" lecture for me when it was all done and over.

But would any unicyclist ever be interested in some one else's view on what is "safe"?

NOT! (uniShark still rides on ice (and I did today also))

JM

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 01:57 PM   #20
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Quote:
The solution to the gun problem is not more guns, its less.

We had a school shooting here in Scotland in 1995 (the tennis player Andy Murray was actually in the class it happened to) where 14 children were killed as far as I can recall. After that hand guns were totally banned right across the UK. We have never had assault rifles and you can only get a shot gun or a hunting rifle after vigourous checks and an interview with the police.

Legislation has been tightened up since then so there is a now 5year prison sentence for posession of any ileagle fire arm and if you actually use one your more likely to have a 10 year sentece. They even imprisoned a special services soldier for having an illeagal firearm recently, although they did reduce it to a suspended sentence due to some mitigating circumstances.

Last year in the UK as a whole there was 8 gun related deaths and 0 in Scotland ...... if you do the math that would be the equivilant to 56 deaths if we had the same population as the US ..... quite a bit short of the nearly 30,000 gun related deaths in the US each year.

There is no talk of our leaders becoming dictators because we have no guns and we need to somehow keep our government in check as I constanly hear when I am in the US.
Alan Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 05:44 PM   #21
UniBrier
Time To Ride

Seems the real clowns were in the vehicle. They should make learning to juggle as part of their sentencing.

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 05:47 PM   #22
keithb26
Unicyclist

I am sorry this happened. Not surprised. The random acts of violence and intimidation are all to common to cyclists and unicyclists on the roads in our supposedly bike friendly region. I cannot begin to count the times my wife and i have been buzzed by people in cars and trucks honking the horn and just missing us as we ride our bikes. It's very frightening. The other exciting activity we experience is the item thrown from a vehicle as it goes by at 60mph, bottles and other types of trash. Anyone being shot at is a just another example of the increasing random acts of violent behavior we seem to be experiencing. I would not have a gun of any kind in my home, but I know that in my community I am in the minority. Joe, I am so glad that you are ok, you are one of my unicycle heroes that inspire me to ride far and climb high. I hope that the little bugger will hopefully get some corrective discipline from the police and his parents. I know that if this had been one of my two boys, the police would have been the least of their concerns, as my wife and I would have made sure that they would never do something like this to another person ever. Their acts of penance would not have ended until Joe and Lana were tired of having their lawn mowed and house painted and all other chores as they may need done for them by my child were completed. the ability of my child to sit would have been severely inhibited for some time. Although I have never had to spank my kids, ever....Ride safe guys.
keithb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 02:58 AM   #23
uniShark
muni commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeejoe View Post
... I question the wisdom of placing myself standing infront of a car blocking the getaway of some dumb punks that had just shot me trusting they would not do something even more stupid during the standoff waiting for police backup.

I'm surprised the police didn't have a "safety" lecture for me when it was all done and over.

But would any unicyclist ever be interested in some one else's view on what is "safe"?

NOT! (uniShark still rides on ice (and I did today also))

JM
Wow. Joe, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's interested in hearing how you managed to chase down a car and force it off the road on your unicycle!

Alan, I didn't mean to start a gun rights debate. Hopefully I'll get a chance to come ride with you in Scotland someday; I'll leave my guns at home and we can happily avoid the topic while enjoying a pint or three.

Old 2013-01-13, 07:52 AM   #24
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Actually, gun deaths in Montana are 17.22 per 100,000 people, third-highest in the US behind Louisiana and Alaska.

Last edited by tholub; 2013-01-13 at 07:53 AM.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 09:08 AM   #25
saeas
Unicyclist

That's serious, I would be very terrified of doing anything outside after that.
saeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 01:20 PM   #26
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholub View Post
Actually, gun deaths in Montana are 17.22 per 100,000 people, third-highest in the US behind Louisiana and Alaska.
Tchah! Spoining a good argument with facts!
Old 2013-01-13, 06:34 PM   #27
uniShark
muni commuter

Quote:
Good point, but much, much lower in Missoula county.

Old 2013-01-13, 07:13 PM   #28
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniBrier View Post
Seems the real clowns were in the vehicle. They should make learning to juggle as part of their sentencing.
I had not thought of this sentence. I like it!

Quote:
Quote:
Good point, but much, much lower in Missoula county.
I lived for ten years in a remote county here in Washington state with less than 7,000 population. The homicide rate exceeded one per 7,000 per year. Not as safe in the wild west as we sometimes want to think.

Old 2013-01-13, 07:17 PM   #29
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb26 View Post
I hope that the little bugger will hopefully get some corrective discipline from the police and his parents. I know that if this had been one of my two boys, the police would have been the least of their concerns, as my wife and I would have made sure that they would never do something like this to another person ever. Their acts of penance would not have ended until Joe and Lana were tired of having their lawn mowed and house painted and all other chores as they may need done for them by my child were completed. the ability of my child to sit would have been severely inhibited for some time. Although I have never had to spank my kids, ever....Ride safe guys.
I left this option open to the authorities. But the police tell me parents like you are in a minority today.

Old 2013-01-13, 07:26 PM   #30
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Quote:
Wow. Joe, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's interested in hearing how you managed to chase down a car and force it off the road on your unicycle!
These kid were not think this through. As the end results show.

I can hear them trying to explain to their peers how an old clown on a unicycle apprehended them and held one of them for the police armed with three flashing juggling balls.

Tags
bellingham, bullet, gun, shooting, shot, unicyclist