Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2020-01-15, 11:34 AM   #31
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
You peeps should come here this time of year. The smoke from the fires are only noticeable 1-2 days a week and I think it’s improving. Promise.
Well fires aside (and that is not intended to diminish the situation at all, clearly it is truly awful what is happening in your country), just the raw heat (from the sun) is enough that I am not sure how you unicycle there at this time of the year.

I sweat almost every day that I come into the office and that is even with negative (°C) temperatures. I think I would melt in the temps I have seen reported from your neck of the woods.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-15, 01:08 PM   #32
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
Well fires aside (and that is not intended to diminish the situation at all, clearly it is truly awful what is happening in your country), just the raw heat (from the sun) is enough that I am not sure how you unicycle there at this time of the year.

I sweat almost every day that I come into the office and that is even with negative (°C) temperatures. I think I would melt in the temps I have seen reported from your neck of the woods.
Sounds like you don't have the right technique yet. Sweating only happens to beginners. J/k
Do you have showers at work? We don't so I hardly ever ride to work by uni.

For me riding at around 5ºC is about the right temperature. Then my hands don't freeze off and I won't sweat too much after a run. Last year with the uni championships in May it was 20+ degrees. That was just too warm to set a good time.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-15, 01:48 PM   #33
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Sounds like you don't have the right technique yet. Sweating only happens to beginners. J/k
I freely admit I am a pretty basic rider. I can ride, I can reliably mount and umm… that is about it.

I get much hotter on the 26er (that I use for winter due to better tyre options for ice or snow) than the 36er. I guess I get hotter because I have to try harder and do more revs on the 26er, to get a ‘reasonable’ speed.

To give you some idea of my speed, I did actually time myself today, from my kid's “barnehagen” (kindergarden/nusery) to work. It was 5km to my workplace and took 20m, with two places where I needed to wait for lights. That gives me an average speed (inclusive of those waiting times) of 15km/h (9.3mph). For further perspective there is an initial 45m climb but after that it is pretty much downhill (167m↓ over the course of the rest/majority of the route). I am getting the distance and ascent/descent by carefully plotting my chosen course on Google maps as a pedestrian, so it might be a little off but it looks/feels about right.

It was warm today (well ‘warm’ from a Norwegian winter perspective). I think somewhere around 4 or 5℃ this morning and I wore a t-shirt and windproof jacket and a backpack with a laptop and a few other things in it.

So yeah, this is enough to get pretty sweaty.

Quote:
Do you have showers at work? We don't so I hardly ever ride to work by uni.
Sadly no, not at my current job. When I get to the office I go to the bathroom and take off my t-shirt and try and cool and wipe myself down as best I can (water on the face and head really helps heat wise). After that I switch t-shirts with an extra, clean one I carry in my backpack.

So far nobody has complained about me, so I assume I am ok and don't totally reek, given I do something like this journey every day.

On the way home I sometimes push a little more because (obviously) I have a shower at home, so it really does not matter how hot or sweaty I get, but the commute from work to home over my most common route includes 102m ascent over 5.7km (again using Google to plot so it might be off). Normally (assuming no real snow or ice) this takes around 24-25 mins but there are quite a few places I have to cross including some traffic lights, so my average speed (including waits) is hovering around the 14km/h.

Now if I really push it to close to my ability and I am super lucky with crossings (no waiting), I have managed to do this route in 21mins on the 26er or put another way, an average of 16.3 km/h (10.1 mph), but is not consistently maintainable. I am rarely that lucky with crossings and pushing myself hard every day is not fun.

Last edited by ruari; 2020-01-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2020-01-15, 02:53 PM   #34
Setonix
Unicyclist

You ride faster than me. Definitely to work I ride as relaxing as I can, not to sweat to much and on the way home I take a different and longer route over a dyke where only bikes are allowed. On the days I decide to ride to work, I make sure the laptop is already in the office, in case I would make a fall and smash it.

Do you ride faster uphill or faster downhill? I know it depends on how steep it is. I always have some problems going downhill, fearing my uni will ride away from me.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-15, 03:16 PM   #35
ruari
 

Quote:
Do you ride faster uphill or faster downhill? I know it depends on how steep it is. I always have some problems going downhill, fearing my uni will ride away from me.
Let's put it this way, any hill I can get up, I will certainly ride faster down.

That said I know what you mean, there have been a couple of times when I felt I let my speed get out of control and started to get some hint of panic. In the old days I would have fallen off long before I got too fast, now I can let things get to far. This is the main reason I should probably get a brake, which something I have avoided until now. But I am pretty stupid, so I will probably have a terrible crash before I come to my senses and add a brake.

I actually quite like going uphill because it puts me on a par with many cyclists and I suppose I am a little competitive.

The nice thing with uphill is that bicyclists shift down to a gearing that is closer to my own and they loose the ability to coast. In the right conditions (where gearing matches nicely with the gradient) I might even have an advantage because of the lower weight of a unicycle compared with all but the best bikes. Thus this is almost the only time when I have a chance to overtake (and regularly do on one particular hill). On flats I might keep up with (or even occasionally overtake) someone who is really cruising along and in no rush. Obviously on downhill I have no chance whatsoever!
Old 2020-01-16, 12:50 PM   #36
ruari
 

Quote:
To give you some idea of my speed, I did actually time myself today, from my kid's “barnehagen” (kindergarden/nusery) to work. It was 5km to my workplace and took 20m, with two places where I needed to wait for lights.
So what's happening today? Well I did exactly the exact same route but this time with the 36" (since there is no snow and ice, and UniMyra told me to start using my 36" again).

And? … 19 minutes. So I save a minute (Yeah!) but then I also had much more luck with the lights… so… umm… basically the same speed.

I guess my take away from this this is a speed that feels right to me and I gravitate towards to.

To be fair it felt much more relaxed and required less effort and I was nothing like as hot on arrival.
Old 2020-01-16, 03:25 PM   #37
aj1500
Unicyclist

so all my new pads and gloves arrived, been riding the 24 at work some during lunch. mostly just practicing stalls and still stands I guess is what it would be called, and hopping. I had a good day of hopping the other day but yesterday was only so-so. But I did at the end get to where I was able to slow down and come to a stop then stand up and start hopping. what I was doing before was stand up as I'm almost ready to stop then start hopping. I think it's easier to do it full weight in seat as I stop then stand up and hop. it seams to be less strain on the legs anyway. Looking forward to getting on the 32 again, hopefully get a ride in this weekend
aj1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-16, 06:13 PM   #38
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
UniMyra told me to start using my 36" again
Yes, I ordered the Code 36"! You're god damn right I did!

Got to air my own 36'er yesterday after a week with the flu.
Old 2020-01-18, 10:56 PM   #39
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

My latest ride

Friday night, Lane Cove National Park down the back of North Epping. 3 water crossings encountered and btw, I’m fairly new to muni.

https://www.facebook.com/617795856/p...6770911945857/

Last edited by Gockie; 2020-01-18 at 10:56 PM.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 02:50 PM   #40
aj1500
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
Friday night, Lane Cove National Park down the back of North Epping. 3 water crossings encountered and btw, I’m fairly new to muni.

https://www.facebook.com/617795856/p...6770911945857/
looking good there

so I decided I'm going to change the 127 cranks on the 32 to 140 and ride with them for a while, I'm just too close to out of control on the 127's and don't feel I can excel until I get more control of it. I found a couple new places to ride that have decent inclines I can ride. one of them is probably a mile or longer of constant incline before it levels back out. this will be good practice for me to use in my training for the century ride this year. I know I can't do the 100 miles but I really want to be ready to do the 37 mile section. I wanted to try it last year but I just wasn't ready. this year I have 7 months to train and get ready
Old 2020-01-24, 04:05 PM   #41
Quax1974
Wobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
I know I can't do the 100 miles but I really want to be ready to do the 37 mile section. I wanted to try it last year but I just wasn't ready. this year I have 7 months to train and get ready
In 7 months you can definitely be ready

Last year I participated in a charity event and in 7 months time we got a group of 32 people ready to uni-climb two mountains in the Vosges Region of France.
Most of these people could not even ride a unicycle at the start of the project!

You obviously know how to ride so if you can find the time to train you could even work your way up to the 100 miles.
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 04:38 PM   #42
aj1500
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quax1974 View Post
In 7 months you can definitely be ready

Last year I participated in a charity event and in 7 months time we got a group of 32 people ready to uni-climb two mountains in the Vosges Region of France.
Most of these people could not even ride a unicycle at the start of the project!

You obviously know how to ride so if you can find the time to train you could even work your way up to the 100 miles.
32 riders, now that's cool

I'm going to be putting a lot of effort into getting ready for this event. but with working full time and having an active home life my idea of dedicated training might be others idea of casual riding. but I'm determined to make it happen
Old 2020-01-25, 06:01 AM   #43
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
looking good there

so I decided I'm going to change the 127 cranks on the 32 to 140 and ride with them for a while, I'm just too close to out of control on the 127's and don't feel I can excel until I get more control of it. I found a couple new places to ride that have decent inclines I can ride. one of them is probably a mile or longer of constant incline before it levels back out. this will be good practice for me to use in my training for the century ride this year. I know I can't do the 100 miles but I really want to be ready to do the 37 mile section. I wanted to try it last year but I just wasn't ready. this year I have 7 months to train and get ready
If you want more effective training in a shorter time, go for shorter cranks instead of longer. With the longer cranks you are more likely to just cruise along with not much training benefit. A few months ago I switched to 109mm on my 36er and can tell the difference in training effectiveness. Up to 12% grades don't seem to be a problem.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 12:05 PM   #44
ruari
 

I haven't been cleaning my main winter, unicycle (a 26" basic Nimbus Muni from 2009) because I am super lazy. And when I say, “haven't been cleaning”, I mean… never. Not once…

Unsurprisingly (with the salt and grit used on the roads in the winter) the seat post is now rusted completely solid in the frame. Being able to adjust seat height is important to me because I run different cranks lengths from time to time in the winter, depending on conditions (i.e. amounts of snow). I have not had to do that much this year because the super mild winter means there is hardly ever any snow but certainly last year (and I hope again in the future), it is really handy thing to be able to do. I suspect the lack of my moving the seat post has also contributed somewhat to ending up in this situation.

Anyway, I have tried brute force (including with a hammer!) and with oil and WD40 but no joy so far. I kind of feel stupid letting it get to this state to be honest and perhaps I may still separate it but if not, then a new frame I suppose…

I can see that an near identical Nimbus CrMo frame from UDC Germany is €39/$43/¤391(NOK). Probably a better deal for a CrMo frame is however, is the more expensive URC “Medium” frame (€79/$87/¤792). I own a URC “Small” frame already on my 24" and can say that while the Nimbus frame seems a little more solidly built, for my usage this does not matter much. It is more interesting frame to me as the URC frames accommodate wider tyres (4" wide for a 26" wheelset) and hence that would increase my tyre options for winter. This is also enough gap vertically on the Medium frame to allow for a 27.5x3.5 or 29x2.50, if I ever decided to buy (or build) another wheelset.

Or… I could of course go all out and spend a whole bunch more and get mad4one equivalent to the URC frame. Being aluminium it should be rust free, offers a massive range of colour options, while accommodating wider tyres (and bigger wheelsets) but… maybe that is just an overkill and hence a waste of money. I know I am not the kind of rider who would really use such a frame to its full potential, nor am I likely to in the future if I am honest with myself.

Last edited by ruari; 2020-01-27 at 12:08 PM.
Old 2020-01-27, 04:00 PM   #45
ruari
 

Ok, took off the seat, inverted the frame, then hammered the underside of the seat post while I held the frame. Took a while but eventually I got it off!

Tags
happening, today