Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-03-07, 09:11 AM   #16
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

This book is no longer in print but there seem to be copies around. It includes a whole spinning wheel made from bicycle parts, with a flyer made from wood.

Thomas Kilbride, Spinning and Weaving at Home.

Last edited by Spinningwoman; 2017-03-07 at 09:12 AM.
Spinningwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 07:39 PM   #17
fynger
Unicyclist

found this .... http://rosemaryknits.blogspot.co.uk/...-spinning.html
fynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 07:41 PM   #18
fynger
Unicyclist

and this..... https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/28006828904769672/

scroll down on this ,...there's loads

Last edited by fynger; 2017-03-07 at 07:43 PM.
fynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 07:54 PM   #19
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fynger View Post
Very nice!
Old 2017-03-07, 11:34 PM   #20
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
This book is no longer in print but there seem to be copies around. It includes a whole spinning wheel made from bicycle parts, with a flyer made from wood.

Thomas Kilbride, Spinning and Weaving at Home.
It's in my Amazon cart!

After looking at different flyer designs I don't think it will be too difficult to make something that works well.

I decided to use a uni wheel because it can be supported on both sides, and still have a crank to be driven by a treadle. My design will probably be overkill for strength and stiffness, but in my experience anything that goes into the art room in a high school needs to be overbuilt or it just won't last.

For now I have it in my head to design a kick spindle that uses a drop spindle set into a chuck or collet. If i can get it to work smoothly, and without wobble students will be able to use their drop spindles (made by them) in the kick spindle frame.
Old 2017-03-12, 04:17 AM   #21
jtrops
Unicyclist

The book arrived today, and it is really a wealth of information. I already have a couple of table looms, and some inkle looms. The information about the flyers, and the spinning wheel will be great help in finalizing my design. I will be building it with wood, but otherwise I think it will be a faithful version of the bike-spinning wheel outlined in the book.

From a bike perspective it's too bad he used a Sturmey-Archer Dynohub for the spinning wheel. That's a really nice old hub to use when any cheap hub would work fine. Well, maybe it was broken beyond repair like the KH Moment hub that will be the heart of my wheel!

I like the unicycle hub because it has a spindle that will allow the wheel to be supported on both sides, and still have a crank for the treadle. In order to operate the wheel with an axle one side of the wheel has to stay open. I guess the garage engineer in me likes the overall support of the closed design better.

Tags
bike, making, spinning, unicycle, wheel