Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-08-11, 12:26 AM   #121
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldlux View Post
You may have thread issues due to riding backwards (and having the pedals unthread themselves) as you say.

It could also be your new pedals. I similarly experienced a click with a new pair of Odyssey Twisted PCs and another pair of new pedals. Yes, both; different brands and everything. Putting my old pedals back on as a test made the click go away. I had to take the new pedals apart and regrease the bearings, and I've been click free since. One shouldn't need to do that, but here we are. I have an older pair of Twisted PCs that never had a problem.
I really should try that, thanks for the advice. If that doesn't work then I will get new cranks.

Update:

Can now ride the 29" 70 feet backwards. I'm doing backwards practice with the 29" instead of the 24" because of the clicking pedal problem mentioned above. I can do semi-circles with the 29", but no full circles yet. I haven't had any bad falls so far.
Acrorebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-12, 01:37 AM   #122
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Update:

Thanks Idlux! Spraying some WD40 on the pedal ball bearings did the trick. The click is completely gone now. I still may look into new cranks in a few months.
Old 2016-08-21, 01:56 AM   #123
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Update:

Can now do 4 big backwards circles on the 24". Riding backwards almost feels as natural as riding forwards, at least I feel more comfortable doing it compared to last week. My feet don't slip off the pedals as often as they used to, but when they do I can usually adjust them better than before. I also don't UPD or experience bad falls like I used to. I haven't landed on my butt or back in a long time now.

A new problem that is emerging as I stay on longer while riding backwards is that my legs just give out after nearly a minute. It's not necessarily nervousness anymore that's holding me back, and my technique isn't that bad, but the backwards motion is something my legs just aren't used to yet(it's similar to how my legs feel after doing a lot of backwards running). I figure with enough practice and making sure I keep my weight on the seat I should be ok. This is more of a problem if my legs are sore from doing a lot of running; this also interferes with idling to a lesser extent.

Another minor issue is going from backwards to forwards. I can do it some of the time, but the pedals always feel so heavy and I have to put in a lot of effort to go forward again. What could I be doing wrong?

Last edited by Acrorebel; 2016-08-21 at 02:04 AM.
Old 2016-08-21, 03:25 PM   #124
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Maybe you could practice integrating idling and riding backwards. Ride backwards a bit, do a quick idle, repeat.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-23, 12:05 PM   #125
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Maybe you could practice integrating idling and riding backwards. Ride backwards a bit, do a quick idle, repeat.
That sounds like a good idea. I do that sometimes, along with going backwards, stopping, then continuing to go backwards. My technique isn't as good as when I go forwards, stop, and continue going forward or idling.

Update:

Had a major breakthrough yesterday! I can now do backwards figure 8s(did it 3x) on my 24". This seems like such an advanced skill, I'm surprised I'm able to do it at all since I still consider myself to be a beginner. I've been unicycling for only 10 months. I do backwards figure 8s very sloppily and often fail at it, so it still requires a lot of work.

Last edited by Acrorebel; 2016-08-23 at 12:08 PM.
Old 2016-08-23, 04:09 PM   #126
monocyclism
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrorebel View Post
That sounds like a good idea. I do that sometimes, along with going backwards, stopping, then continuing to go backwards. My technique isn't as good as when I go forwards, stop, and continue going forward or idling.

Update:

Had a major breakthrough yesterday! I can now do backwards figure 8s(did it 3x) on my 24". This seems like such an advanced skill, I'm surprised I'm able to do it at all since I still consider myself to be a beginner. I've been unicycling for only 10 months. I do backwards figure 8s very sloppily and often fail at it, so it still requires a lot of work.
To invoke a popular phrase used on this site.... "photos or it didnt happen"

Tags
beginners, bike, hill unicycling, mile, months, novice, nyc, street unicycling, tour