Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2016-08-14, 09:02 PM   #76
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
It seems not to be available in Germany yet. I'm awaiting the response of my LBS tomorrow, maybe they know when it will be available.
Let us know. I'm getting mine from the US and if I like it, I want to know if I need to bring one back or if it'll be available in Europe in the near future.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 09:06 AM   #77
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

They did not receive a date of delivery yet.
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 10:43 AM   #78
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Let us know. I'm getting mine from the US and if I like it, I want to know if I need to bring one back or if it'll be available in Europe in the near future.
Hi there, have been reading this post in the last few days (awating my first 24' wheel with a leopard tyre so I'm looking at what other tyres are out there for this size..) and that tyre sounds really interesting.

Not sure if it helps, but just to let you know that here in the UK that tyre (big roller 24x2.8) seems to be in stock and available in quite a few UK internet based shops (Europe shipping available in the ones I've found). They sell with an average price of £20 which to me sounds quite reasonable (considering I've just paid £65 for the 26x3 Knard tyre).
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-19, 02:01 AM   #79
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Cat bed?

If it doesn't work out it can be used as a cat bed.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-22, 08:51 PM   #80
LanceB
This space available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
Sounds interesting! This could be a good alternative to the Duro. It saves 565g of weight. Size shall be nearly identical as the 3" Duro is only about 2.8" in real. The thread pattern looks less agressive but it has a nice round profile.

I'm looking forward to your testing results.

Has anyone testet it yet? How does it ride, compared to the Duro?
I got the Big Roller last week, and installed it yesterday afternoon. Today at lunch was the first test ride with it. I took it to a nearby trail that I ride regularly, so I can hopefully make a good comparison. My observations:

Size: the 3" Duro measures 2.7". The 2.8" Big Roller measures 2.7". So it's pretty similar in size to the Duro. The tread pattern is similar to the Duro, but the knobs aren't as big. I suspect it would not do as well in mud, but here in So Cal that's not a concern of mine.

Weight: I don't have an accurate scale to compare, but I will say the weight difference is very apparent. You can definitely feel the difference on long uphill grades.

Riding characteristics: Handling is VERY responsive. I hesitate to use the word "squirrelly," but compared to the Duro, it definitely moves around easier. I've been riding the Duro at 15lbs, and I'm pretty used to it. Since this has obviously lighter sidewalls, I started out with 20lbs. The weight and stiffness of the Duro tends to carry it through a lot of surface variations. Not so much with the BR. I tended to over-correct a lot, and had to do a lot of "micro" corrections along the way. It has a slightly rounder profile than the Duro, so that probably makes it a little more responsive as well. (Riding surface -- very dry hard-packed dirt and rocky single track and fire road. Very typical of So Cal trails.) So you have to pay a little more attention to your line. It tends to follow the path of least resistance a little more than the Duro. I made a couple of adjustments to the air pressure along the way, and ended up with 16lbs. I may go a little lower. I don't do big drops, so I'm not expecting pinch flats. I'm going to do a specific "hop and drop" practice session tomorrow at lunch, so I'll see how it compares in that area.

Conclusion: like everything else unicycle-related, it will take some getting used to. If I was doing mainly gnarly downhill runs, I don't think I'd change from the Duro. But for the riding I do, so far I like it.
(My opinions only, YMMV.)
Attached Images

Old 2016-08-25, 02:23 AM   #81
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

I have been struggling over the decision on what replacement tire I get for my 24" oracle. I have been throwing that heavy Duro wildlife around for about a year. So far my muni consist of the grass next to the bike trail and the open spaces of the park, some easy single track or the gravel bars on flat creek. I think a lighter more forgiving tire would be better for me as of right now.

Where the dilemma comes in is I aspire to do some of the more difficult single track close to home. These are very technical narrow, winding, up and down, rock and bolder strewn trails in the Missouri hills. And for these it sounds like the Duro Wildlife is the tire of choice. So my thought was to stay with it, get used to it for when the time comes for me to start to attempt them.

On the other hand maybe the Big Roller or another lighter, more forgiving tire would help me get more comfortable off road. And I need to be honest with myself do I reall need to be getting these old bones out on these trails. I ride by my self with the exception of the times I was at the NAUCC (missed this year, won’t miss next year). I gear up like Robo cop but there is no one to call he ambulance out there by myself (I never even considered this stuff when I was 20, just went for it). I still have some tread on my Duro so I have some time to make up my mind.

Last edited by DaUniGuy; 2016-08-25 at 02:24 AM.
DaUniGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 06:23 AM   #82
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaUniGuy View Post
I still have some tread on my Duro so I have some time to make up my mind.
Or you could take the plunge now for a lighter tire and keep your current Duro in your garage for the day you will ride in the Missouri hills and the lighter tire will have proven insufficient
Old 2016-08-25, 07:47 AM   #83
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

In general I do not see why a 1,5 kg tire is automatically considered to be better in heavy off road. If you see mtb sports those rubber monsters have not been used any more since many, many years. None of the DH world cup rider do use those tires. Sometimes it appears to me that only the uni/muni community is using up those old school tires... Of course there are many factors for a tire to be considered good or bad. Such as rubber mixture, thread pattern casing, etc. Lots of development has been done over the years, and seeing current munis many of them go for newer, lighter plus size tires. I would go for the lighter one and test it. Especially with the reasonable price...
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 08:16 AM   #84
Eric aus Chemnitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunstrasen View Post
In general I do not see why a 1,5 kg tire is automatically considered to be better in heavy off road. If you see mtb sports those rubber monsters have not been used any more since many, many years. None of the DH world cup rider do use those tires. Sometimes it appears to me that only the uni/muni community is using up those old school tires... Of course there are many factors for a tire to be considered good or bad. Such as rubber mixture, thread pattern casing, etc. Lots of development has been done over the years, and seeing current munis many of them go for newer, lighter plus size tires. I would go for the lighter one and test it. Especially with the reasonable price...
The requirements are diffenrent. DH Riders have full suspension bikes. the only thing their tire has to do is giving goog grip. On the muni the tire also has to do the suspension.
Old 2016-08-25, 09:00 AM   #85
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

Also the DH (or whatever discipline) mtb tires need to have suspension, otherwise they will not be able to adjust to the ground and give good grip. Even the best compound would not work without a certain volume.

I agree that the requirements might not excatly be the same, but pretty similar. We can also use modern tires and loose half a kg of rubber.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 09:38 AM   #86
Eric aus Chemnitz

What I experienced is: on a good MTB suspension you can adjust suspension travel as well as compression and rebound stage. As the tire is the suspension on a muni, lets see to what these 3 translate into.
  • suspension travel: tire volume (more volume is more travel) and tire pressure (less pressure is more travel (as long as you don't hit the rim))
  • compression stage: tire pressure (more is harder) and a little bit tire / sidewall stiffness (the stiffer the harder)
  • rebound stage: tire / sidewall stiffness (the stiffer the slower) and a little bit of tire pressure (more is faster)
So as I experienced it: tire volume is mainly for suspension travel, Tire pressure is mainly for suspension travel and compression stage and sidewall stiffness is mainly for rebound stage.

My Duro rebounds faster when it's tubeless than when it's with a tube and slower than my Specialized Purgatory Control with its lighter sidewall. Duro with tube responded too slow for me, duro tubeless and purgatory control with tube respond just fine but purgatory control tubeless would be too fast for me.
Old 2016-08-25, 02:20 PM   #87
DaUniGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
Or you could take the plunge now for a lighter tire and keep your current Duro in your garage for the day you will ride in the Missouri hills and the lighter tire will have proven insufficient
Good advice. I think I will take it. I went to order one on the link below and it listed the 24" at the bottom but the only option I see for ordering is the 20". Sorry for my ignorance, I don't do a lot of online shopping. Where do I go to get the 24".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
Big roller is up on the US site: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...-roller/117678

Only $25- I'll be getting one to try!
Old 2016-08-25, 04:02 PM   #88
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaUniGuy View Post
Good advice. I think I will take it. I went to order one on the link below and it listed the 24" at the bottom but the only option I see for ordering is the 20". Sorry for my ignorance, I don't do a lot of online shopping. Where do I go to get the 24".
Hi DaUniGuy

There is an arrow (just on the left of '20"x2.8') that opens a pop down menu where you can change teh size of the tyre to 24"

Hope this helps
Old 2016-08-25, 05:09 PM   #89
DaUniGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moslki View Post
Hi DaUniGuy

There is an arrow (just on the left of '20"x2.8') that opens a pop down menu where you can change teh size of the tyre to 24"

Hope this helps
LOL ya that helps. Placed the order. Thanks.
Old 2016-08-26, 10:17 AM   #90
Moslki
Unicyclist

Hi all

At last my Muni 24" with the Duro tyre arrived yesterday and I have to say it is a blast.. Until yesterday I've only ridden a 26 for Muni and despite being really great on bike trails sometimes I find it difficult to be always in control (not falling off) when trying to be more technical (rolling hops on the go, drops, etc..). I've always felt that the wheel was slightly too big for my limited Muni skills.

I just want to say I think it is a fantastic wheel size for Muni: I haven't found the Duro tyre heavy at all and it grips really well (plenty of mud where I live). Perhaps I don't think that the Duro tyre is heavy because the wheel, hub and frame I've got it on are light KH components? (this is the first time I try a KH uni, my 26 is a heavier standard/steel Quax). I am guessing it just doesn't feel like a heavy tyre to me because the 24 wheel size is altogether easier to handle than the 26 I am used to..

Anyway: I am really happy with the Duro Leopard tyre

Tags
muni, official 24, review, thread, tire or tyre