Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-01-12, 02:30 AM   #1
Grizz
Unicyclist

Newbie Question...Can a Torker DX be used on pavement, LX on gravel?

Hope I put this in the correct forum...

I'm looking to learn to ride and need my first unicycle.

My specs: 6'2" and 185 lbs

In my area there is a nice mix of pavement, gravel roads, and grassy fields.

I have no plans to do any youtube worthy riding as I'm getting a bit older and more chicken. I keep seeing the DX described as an extreme off road machine. Can it be used effectively on pavement too? The tire looks aggressive, and I know that it's heavier than ones that are built more for street use.

I'm also curious if an LX could be used on flat(ish) gravel roads and grass fields? Am I too heavy for an LX in these conditions? Will it be uncontrollable or constantly breaking?
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 09:25 AM   #2
Shippy
I couldn't afford a whole bike.....

it doesn't really matter what surface you use it on, the torker isn't going to last as long as a better quality unicycle. if you are going to stick with the sport then you will probably want to get a better one.
Shippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 12:09 PM   #3
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Torker has come a long way in the past few years (as well as other uni brands)

A LX will be more than adequate for the kind of riding you describe.

Don't be scared of square taper, when done right it is plenty strong and durable. It's been used on bikes for decades.

And yah you can use a DX on the same trails but you might want to use a less aggressive tire.
Old 2012-01-12, 07:16 PM   #4
Grizz
Unicyclist

Thanks for the advice, and please forgive what is probably another dumb question, but what would be the downside of using an aggressive tire (such as the one that comes with the DX) on pavement? Does it make handling/turning horrible? Would the tire and other components wear out faster? Does it make for a bumpy/uncomfortable ride? Can any negative effects be fixed by adjusting tire pressure?

Price isn't a huge factor in what I buy, but I see no reason for me to spend big money until I find whether the sport is something that I'll stick with. I'm really aiming to buy a unicycle that is of good quality for learning on the terrain described in the original post, and if I upgrade later, then the "learner" can become the "loaner", so any advice on other brands is welcome.
Old 2012-01-13, 04:39 AM   #5
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I really think that the LX is ideal for what you want. A good solid unicycle that is inexpensive without being "cheap"

Wide aggressive tires on pavement:

Most agressive tires are designed to be ridden in lower friction and looser conditions than pavement.

The wider and squarer the tire the more it is going to pull you to the uphill side if riding on a slope (like road camber) This is because the tread is "scrubbing" a bit on the uphill edge of the contact patch torquing the wheel to that side.

Offroad tires also tend to have softer rubber than road oriented tires. They may last years in dirt and mud but wear quickly on "high friction" surfaces like pavement.

They also have a fairly open tread with plenty of space between lugs instead of a nice smooth riding surface. This increases rolling resistance and you may feel the tire buzz and or vibrate.

And compared to tires designed to be run on pavement they tend to be stiff, heavy and feel sluggish on the road.

You can minimize the scrubbing by running high pressure (reducing the contact patch)but then tire vibrations tend to get worse.

I am not saying that it can't be done, I have done it many times, but that road/street tires exist for a reason.
Old 2012-01-13, 03:09 PM   #6
Grizz
Unicyclist

Superb answer, thank you Sask. Btw, in Canadian terms we're neighbors. I'm near Edmonton (lots of indoor practice space until spring). Off to order my new LX now....

Tags
gravel, newbie, pavement, questioncan, torker