Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-05-06, 05:08 PM   #31
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

Kris,
Are there any advantages to the flat saddle for muni and/or short urban riding other than comfort? I find that for muni I rarely experience discomfort probably due to the fact that I don't ride long enough and I am often not in the saddle during climbs anyway. Short urban rides are, well, short.

I do experience discomfort on my 36 after about 10 miles or so, probably because I am in the saddle most of the time.

If the flat saddle with bar setup is really only advantageous for comfort, then it's probable that I would order the new KH26 with my old stand-by, the fusion street saddle and not the flat saddle. I would do this because I don't currently ride muni with a bar anyway and would want to avoid the extra expense and it being in the way when hopping. I assume UDC will offer this option.

Last edited by kahunacohen; 2015-05-06 at 05:09 PM.
kahunacohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-06, 05:15 PM   #32
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahunacohen View Post
Kris,
Are there any advantages to the flat saddle for muni and/or short urban riding other than comfort? <snip>.
Yes.
Here is some text copied from the Fusion Zero page:

“Sitting” on a unicycle saddle is also not just about sitting. On hilly roads and even gentle trails, a rider might stand, sit, or unweight the saddle more than a dozen times in a hundred metres. Each time a rider unweights they shift forwards in the saddle, typically to the middle when unweighting and the front when climbing standing up. The lower curve makes it far easier to shift forwards and backwards. The lower front nose increase standover clearance when standing, and the slim mid-section and vertical sides reduce chafing when shifting from side to side during a climb.
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-06, 05:23 PM   #33
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

Wow thanks for the info Kris. I am always astounded by the quality and innovation of your products. Yeah I know flat saddles were being hacked before yours...But still, the fact that you are willing to spend the time to bring professional products to market is a boon for the average unicyclist.

On top of it all your helpful and patient personality has been a real asset to our sport. I can't thank you enough for the pleasure your products bring me every day.
Old 2015-05-06, 05:30 PM   #34
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Do any of the new wheels come with the foss tube? It looks like the 36er comes with the standard rubber tube from what I can see in the picture. There are apparently 2 different rims depending on which tube you have because the hole size for the valve is different. (The older tube needs a larger hole, the foss tube needs a smaller hole).

I recently did a wheel build for my nightrider pro and ordered the stealth 2 rim, which, when ordered with an oracle or by itself has a small hole for the foss tube, but when ordered with the titan has a large hole for the rubber tube. I ended up having to shave the rubber from the sides of the schrader valve of the old tube to get it through the rim. I imagine it would be a larger problem if you wanted to run the foss tube in a titan.

Is it possible there is a rubber grommet to prevent blowouts if it runs the old tube stock and you plan to run the foss tube?

Personally I like my old trusty rubber tube, but something to be aware of. It took me by surprise when I started putting my wheel back together.
Old 2015-05-06, 05:42 PM   #35
monociclos
Doin` trials

Send a message via Yahoo to monociclos
Nice news!!

The stregth of the frame and hub are wellcome, nos with the zero saddle the unicycle looks really PRO!

I have to try the handle setup for muni... Do you recomend it for daily use? How does it take falls?

About the tire I couldnt agree more, here in the rocky mountains the old 26" tire was to weak to stand drops. I´ve been riding lately it with a knard the change is huge!!

Name:  kh.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  162.8 KB

Thanks Kris for improving each year, with the new saddles and handles we are almost ready for long ristance riding... we just need the geared hub to be on stock again! (you have no idea how much stress is causing this absence!!)
Old 2015-05-06, 06:54 PM   #36
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggleaddict View Post
Do any of the new wheels come with the foss tube? It looks like the 36er comes with the standard rubber tube from what I can see in the picture. There are apparently 2 different rims depending on which tube you have because the hole size for the valve is different. (The older tube needs a larger hole, the foss tube needs a smaller hole).

I recently did a wheel build for my nightrider pro and ordered the stealth 2 rim, which, when ordered with an oracle or by itself has a small hole for the foss tube, but when ordered with the titan has a large hole for the rubber tube. I ended up having to shave the rubber from the sides of the schrader valve of the old tube to get it through the rim. I imagine it would be a larger problem if you wanted to run the foss tube in a titan.

Is it possible there is a rubber grommet to prevent blowouts if it runs the old tube stock and you plan to run the foss tube?

Personally I like my old trusty rubber tube, but something to be aware of. It took me by surprise when I started putting my wheel back together.
The KH36 is spec'd to come with the Foss tube. Rather than shaving the valve I'd recommend drilling the hole larger to accept the rubber tube if you want to go that route. It could never be done officially (at the source), but I do know some riders who have also had success with a 29x3" Surly innertube, more so than riders who have tried a regular 29" tube to reduce weight.
Old 2015-05-06, 06:56 PM   #37
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Quote:
Originally Posted by monociclos View Post
Nice news!!

The stregth of the frame and hub are wellcome, nos with the zero saddle the unicycle looks really PRO!

I have to try the handle setup for muni... Do you recomend it for daily use? How does it take falls?

About the tire I couldnt agree more, here in the rocky mountains the old 26" tire was to weak to stand drops. I´ve been riding lately it with a knard the change is huge!!

Attachment 65875

Thanks Kris for improving each year, with the new saddles and handles we are almost ready for long ristance riding... we just need the geared hub to be on stock again! (you have no idea how much stress is causing this absence!!)
Ha ha, I know lots of people are waiting. Will get there on the geared hub.
Yes I like the handles for daily use.
The new rubber Kraton grips are good for falls although I didn't personally have problems with the previous bar-ends.
I think Europe has lots of stock in the straight T-bar from before, so it might be a while before the newer bar ends makes its way onto the market. That's not necessarily an issue because they are easy to find aftermarket too.
Old 2015-05-06, 10:02 PM   #38
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_uni View Post
RA T-handle really helps to keep your weight back. Just because you don't run a T-bar on the curved KH saddles doesn't mean you necessarily won't want one on the Zero. For muni the setup replacing the plastic handle with a T-bar is great.
Is a fair point. Having disliked the Zero on my muni where I just have a plastic handle, I'm now growing to like it (love is still a bit further away...) on my road guni where I use a T-bar, and it's probably not coming off that. Maybe I need to try a T-bar on the muni, as for anything serious I'll be using the handle all the time, and very happy for an improvement there. The trouble is I do still ride quite a lot of really easy stuff, and prefer to ride hands free - that and the muni gets ridden far more than any of my others as it's my utility uni I use for just riding around. It seems the Zero isn't ideal for hands free riding.
Old 2015-05-06, 10:20 PM   #39
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Yes I would agree with that - the Zero is not ideal for riders preferring to ride hands-free for extended periods.
For the same reason it is not ideal for complete beginners who are unable to ride while gripping the front of the handle.
One of the toughest things about product design is when priorities directly conflict with each other - it comes down to the rider's balance of priorities. Some riders will be willing to tolerate some front saddle pressure to be able to ride mostly hands-free, and others will be willing to lean more on a front handle with a low curve saddle to avoid it.
Old 2015-05-06, 11:09 PM   #40
munirocks
GUnirocks

Quote:
The straight T-bar has been reduced from a 150 mm T to a 120 mm T.
Oh, that's bad news to me since I have my brake lever on the boom of the T and position my braking hand in between the bar ends. This won't be possible with the narrower new T-bars. Maybe I should buy another old one as a spare before they're gone.
Old 2015-05-06, 11:20 PM   #41
danger_uni
Kris Holm

The bent T-handle is 155 mm wide.
There is lots of stock of the existing straight T-bar in Europe right now, so the 150 mm wide version will be easy to get for quite a while.
Old 2015-05-07, 02:19 AM   #42
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Quote:
Yes I would agree with that - the Zero is not ideal for riders preferring to ride hands-free for extended periods...

...so the Zero might not be good for juggling for extended periods of time? I will often juggle for several hundred throws at a time. Will I be able to squeeze the saddle enough to keep it in place like on a poorly balanced giraffe? Or when hopping hands free?

JM
Attached Images

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 02:24 AM   #43
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

bungeejoe...Only in the unicycling community...

I see that all of a sudden UDC shows several of the new models of unis. But they are sold out already. Either that or they just swapped some of the new pics in.

The price though appears to be about accurate. $775 for the 26. I don't remember how much the older version was. But I think it was less.
http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/mo...-unicycle.html

Last edited by kahunacohen; 2015-05-07 at 02:24 AM.
Old 2015-05-07, 12:05 PM   #44
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeejoe View Post
...so the Zero might not be good for juggling for extended periods of time? I will often juggle for several hundred throws at a time. Will I be able to squeeze the saddle enough to keep it in place like on a poorly balanced giraffe? Or when hopping hands free?

JM
Asking the important questions there
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 12:46 PM   #45
teamUnicycle
one on one wheel

Don't the rest of you have any balls? Seriously, I ride everywhere with the balls I got. I try not to leave home without any balls.
teamUnicycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, 2015 kh gear, khu, kris holm, lineup, spirit