Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-05-28, 02:28 PM   #1
skiptannen
Skip Tannen

Question on tires

Hey folks,

I need to replace the very worn original tire on my old Miyata 24 and I want to get a blue one that looks similar to the OEM. I found one on Ebay (http://goo.gl/zyAc8c) that has a BMX tread pattern and it made me wonder if there is any noticeable increase in rolling resistance when using an off-road tire for road work. This may be a silly question - there might not be any difference in feel between a knobby tire and a road tire - but if there is my thought was that I might get tired a little sooner because I'm working a bit harder to pedal. Almost all my saddle time is on-road distance riding - should I just go with the knobby and not over think it? :-)

Thanks.

Skip
skiptannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-28, 07:41 PM   #2
jtrops
Unicyclist

Here's a blue tire 24x1.75 with a street tread. Not cheap when you add shipping, but maybe someone more local has this tire.

http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycl.../?currency=USD
Old 2016-05-29, 04:00 AM   #3
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

A knobby tire will add rolling resistance and handle differently on hard surfaces when compared to a more street oriented tire.

Somethning like this or the one that jtrops linked to would probably be better choices if you do all your riding on pavement.
Old 2016-05-30, 01:29 PM   #4
skiptannen
Skip Tannen

Thanks for the replies and the links - I'm glad to see that there are options out there and I'll definitely go with street tread.
skiptannen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, tires