Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-05-07, 10:50 PM   #106
Garp
Monocycliste
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: South of the Alps
Age: 53
Posts: 70
Ok, this is weird.
Now I'm dreaming of unicycling! Happened twice in a row.
Practice in dreamland was great, though.

Anyone else experiencing the same psychosis?
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-07, 11:47 PM   #107
lobbybopster
Unicyclist
 
lobbybopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: California
Age: 63
Posts: 400
uni dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Ok, this is weird.
Now I'm dreaming of unicycling! Happened twice in a row.
Practice in dreamland was great, though.

Anyone else experiencing the same psychosis?
Oh poor Garp, I'm so past that, hmm, or am I? I make all of the unicycles I dream of, so now it's my reality.
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 12:06 PM   #108
song
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Ok, this is weird.
Now I'm dreaming of unicycling! Happened twice in a row.
Practice in dreamland was great, though.

Anyone else experiencing the same psychosis?
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16486
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19738
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 01:17 PM   #109
Garp
Monocycliste
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: South of the Alps
Age: 53
Posts: 70
Thanks song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybeross View Post
It's interesting. Many times when I am very close to getting a skill, but can't quite grasp it, I'll have a dream in which I perform the skill flawlessly. It feels *exactly* the way I know it would feel, and this confidence has always led to me perfecting the skill the following morning out of sheer determination to get back to the feeling I had in the dream. It has also helped me, when I dream about overcoming scary gaps or obstacles. I gapped from a freemount on one 2 foot by 2 foot block, to another that was 4 feet away, with 7 feet straight down to water on either side. I was only able to summon the courage to do it, after dreaming about it the night before. Maybe my brain is impatient, and wants me to learn in my sleep! Hopefully, I'll dream about one foot riding today, as I'm getting very close!
That's interesting.
I was dreaming (both times) about what I'm practicing these days - forward/backward and backward/forward transitions - and it was exactly like the real thing, except that I kept succeeding every time
I need to keep this dream thing going.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 01:43 PM   #110
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Aliso Viejo, California
Age: 50
Posts: 1,177
I have no recollection of any unicycling dreams lately. As a beginner I had a lot of them. Maybe because unicycling was more mysterious to me then.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 04:05 PM   #111
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 43
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I have no recollection of any unicycling dreams lately. As a beginner I had a lot of them. Maybe because unicycling was more mysterious to me then.
I start dreaming of unicycling when I haven't ridden for a few days. I suppose unicycling is like a drug. Also in my dreams I can nearly stand still with it without the uni tumbling over.

In your case I suppose you can already do everything with unicycles, so there is nothing new to try anymore.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-09, 12:57 AM   #112
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Aliso Viejo, California
Age: 50
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Also in my dreams I can nearly stand still with it without the uni tumbling over.
OMG...Now I remember the unicycling dreams I've had recently. In them I am doing ridiculously long still stands (while in real life the longest I ever did was 10 seconds). It makes sense that I would dream about stand still stands, because I have yet to unlock the mystery or master the technique to do it really long.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-10, 03:06 PM   #113
song
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,008
I have only had one unicycle dream that I can recall- just a brief one of riding down a long stairway. In real life, though I hop up the stairs on almost every 20" ride, I am a bit cowardly about riding down any stairway unless it is extremely short or extremely gentle.

As an undergraduate, I took a class called “The Conscious and Unconscious Mind,” and we read Freud's writings on dream interpretation. He said that dreams of going up the stairs were actually about having sex, but he never said anything about going down the stairs, especially on a unicycle.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-10, 08:46 PM   #114
Garp
Monocycliste
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: South of the Alps
Age: 53
Posts: 70
166.5 hrs

I can ride backward!
I don't know if I can do it indefinitely, since I can't steer much and after a while there are obstacles. But I can ride fairly consistently 50-60m, roughly in a straight line.
I can also transition (with either foot forward) from forward to backward successfully more than half of the times, which I'm even more happy about.

Now to transition the other way around and also to mount directly to going backward.


Btw, 3 weeks ago I doubled my practice time, from 2 to 4 hours a day on average. It pays off. In other words, brute force works.
I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep at it though.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-11, 10:10 AM   #115
pierrox
Unicyclist
 
pierrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Between Paris, Grenoble, NY and NC
Age: 48
Posts: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
freud said that dreams of going up the stairs were actually about having sex, but he never said anything about going down the stairs, especially on a unicycle.
Maybe Sigmund was too embarrassed to tell us!

Last edited by pierrox; 2019-05-11 at 10:11 AM.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-11, 03:20 PM   #116
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Aliso Viejo, California
Age: 50
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I doubled my practice time, from 2 to 4 hours a day on average.
Practicing idling could help you learn how to turn while riding backwards. It is natural to pivot while idling, which is sort of like turning. Idling could also unlock the transition between backward and forward riding. If you still are bad at idling and don't want to wear yourself out re-mounting a million times, I suggest you practice idling initially with some supports, but in a fashion which allows you to pivot.

I learned to ride backwards the way anyone else does, with my arms out for balance. Using that method, I can ride about the same distance as you before getting disoriented. After I learned how to ride two-handed SIF, backwards riding got a lot easier and safer. Holding onto the seat with both hands allows me to look over my shoulder and see what's behind me. I can ride tight, accurate backward figure eights two-handed SIF (whereas using the conventional backwards technique, my turns are choppy). I can also ride backwards off curbs, down grassy hills, on uneven surfaces.

I am guessing, garp, that you devote a lot of time to a particular technique, working towards mastery. At some point, you might consider learning new techniques, leaving previously learned techniques in an unfinished, "okay" state...because the key to further improvement is in some other technique (such as the connection between idling and backwards riding, for example). So, without knowing you or seeing you practice, garp, I reckon that you may have reached a plateau in backwards riding, and you can give yourself permission to try other stuff.

Bottom line, you have worked long and hard, and that is the key to your success. Kudos!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-11, 08:31 PM   #117
Garp
Monocycliste
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: South of the Alps
Age: 53
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Practicing idling could help you learn how to turn while riding backwards. It is natural to pivot while idling, which is sort of like turning. Idling could also unlock the transition between backward and forward riding. If you still are bad at idling and don't want to wear yourself out re-mounting a million times, I suggest you practice idling initially with some supports, but in a fashion which allows you to pivot.
This seems to work both ways. In my case, I've been practicing idling for what feels like ages with zero progress. Until I learned to transition from forward to backward.
I'm guessing that once I can transition the other way, idling should fall in place. If not, I can always 'squeeze' it - alternate between ever shorter runs forward and backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I learned to ride backwards the way anyone else does, with my arms out for balance. Using that method, I can ride about the same distance as you before getting disoriented. After I learned how to ride two-handed SIF, backwards riding got a lot easier and safer. Holding onto the seat with both hands allows me to look over my shoulder and see what's behind me. I can ride tight, accurate backward figure eights two-handed SIF (whereas using the conventional backwards technique, my turns are choppy). I can also ride backwards off curbs, down grassy hills, on uneven surfaces.
Oh, I didn't think of that. I was considering riding SIF something to try much later. Thanks! One more game to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I am guessing, garp, that you devote a lot of time to a particular technique, working towards mastery. At some point, you might consider learning new techniques, leaving previously learned techniques in an unfinished, "okay" state...because the key to further improvement is in some other technique (such as the connection between idling and backwards riding, for example). So, without knowing you or seeing you practice, garp, I reckon that you may have reached a plateau in backwards riding, and you can give yourself permission to try other stuff.
I do spend a lot of time, but always on 2 or 3 (even 4) different things. I find working on a single aspect very boring. Along with idling, I'm also practicing hopping and one-legged riding (for now only shifting all the effort to one foot and chickening out before lifting the other).
As for plateauing at backward riding, I'm not there yet. I'm still making progress with finer control, especially the slowing down before the stalling before the damned backward/forward transition, which I've managed only a handful of times accidentally.
Also, I've fallen on my butt only a single time (when going backward). While it might sound good, I'm not sure it is. It could be that I'm not committing enough, bailing out too early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Bottom line, you have worked long and hard, and that is the key to your success. Kudos!
Thank you!
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-12, 01:50 AM   #118
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Aliso Viejo, California
Age: 50
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
one-legged riding (for now only shifting all the effort to one foot and chickening out before lifting the other).
For me, one of the keys to one-foot riding was idling. As I was about to transition from the forward to backward portion of the idle, I could lift my foot off one of the pedals for just a moment. I learned how to one-foot idle before learning how to ride one footed. Once I learned a good static mount, I could place my second foot on the crown, mounting into a one-foot idle. I finally learned to ride one footed by transitioning from one-footed idling into a single revolution of forward one-footed riding. I would wait until I was somewhat stable on the one-footed idle before attempting the forward revolution.

Anyway, that is another example of how different techniques were interrelated in my own learning. Glad to hear you're trying stuff, even if it seems impossible right now!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-12, 11:27 AM   #119
finnspin
one wheeled cycling
 
finnspin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lüneburg,Germany
Posts: 704
I learned one foot the "ride and take one foot of" method. But after teaching one footed in both that method, and idling-onefoot idling-one foot riding, I'm relatively confident in saying that (for the majority of people), going idling-one foot idling-one foot riding tends to be the easier way.

Quote:
Also, I've fallen on my butt only a single time (when going backward). While it might sound good, I'm not sure it is. It could be that I'm not committing enough, bailing out too early.
If you are falling on your butt, it's more a sign of bailing out to late. Or just getting stuck on a rock, and falling unexpectedly. There are commitment tricks, but those are almost exclusively jumps. With riding tricks, at the point where you can't save it anymore, you can generally still land on your feet easily.
__________________
I do: Trials, Flat, Street, Downhill. Sometimes Freestyle.
finnspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-12, 02:56 PM   #120
Garp
Monocycliste
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: South of the Alps
Age: 53
Posts: 70
I hear what you guys say about learning one-footed stuff through idling.
I'll see what I can do to speed up the learning process (for idling).

In a way, I find learning to ride backward almost identical to when I learned riding forward: speed control, lateral balance and steering are super sketchy.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beginner, learning, milestones, progress


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Kupię] siodełko ze sztycą Bednar Polskie Forum Monocyklowe 0 2011-06-12 01:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
Page generated in 1.14427 seconds with 11 queries