Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2008-03-19, 12:29 PM   #16
mattsmith
addicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungry4uni
For tricks like onefooted riding and backwards riding,

how far do you have to be able to ride it for you to say you can.
I'd say you have to do it as far as the IUF skill levels say you have to, but you have to be able to do it every time.
Old 2008-03-19, 07:18 PM   #17
mill_mobile
Riding for FCM - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith
I'd say you have to do it as far as the IUF skill levels say you have to, but you have to be able to do it every time.
I dont...
I say if you can ride say 4-5 pedal revs then plant your feet back on the pedals/pedal forwards again and ride off you can do it.
IMO the levels suck and are only there for the 'i wanna be better than you and hang it on you' people.
dont ride for levels, ride for enjoyment.
mill_mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 03:18 AM   #18
Jerrick
King of Carnies

Send a message via MSN to Jerrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mill_mobile
I dont...
I say if you can ride say 4-5 pedal revs then plant your feet back on the pedals/pedal forwards again and ride off you can do it.
IMO the levels suck and are only there for the 'i wanna be better than you and hang it on you' people.
If I was a freestyle rider I would definetly use the levels as something to aim for.

The majority of people that I see complaining about the levels are people who hardly focus much into freestyle except for some of the basics. I dont know, it just seems funny to me when I see a street or a trials rider say the levels are a waste.

To me they are a sweet guideline and an easy way to set a goal and push for it, and its set up pretty well too.

I ride a lot of trials, so they really dont bother me, and thats why I havent gotten tested for them, but I still look to them for when I practice freestyle.
~Jerrick
Jerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 10:34 PM   #19
Fraggle
Unicyclist

When I ride one footed, I ride with the seat a little behind the wheel, and I push down with the foot on the crown. I also find it easier to move my foot from pedal to crown at the top of the rotation, and foot back to pedal can happen whenever I want. As for turning, just leaning the way i'm gonna turn does it for me.

Last edited by Fraggle; 2008-03-20 at 10:34 PM.
Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 05:33 PM   #20
mattsmith
addicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill_mobile
I dont...
How about if you ride 1 rev and then go back to two pedalled? Does that qualify one to say "i can ride one pedalled"?
Maybe you can; but if you make that claim and someone calls you on it, and you do your one rev you're in for some ridicule.

If there's to be any kind of standard that one can attain to determine whether someone is capable of performing a manouevre, the IUF is best placed to make that call. They have an well defined standards and an examining body to ensure that acheivements are awarded only to those who deserve them according the rules. You don't have to take the exam to know what you can and can't do.
The rules are pretty strict, and I certainly can't ride one footed according to them (10m consistently is still a little beyond me), so if questioned, the answer has to be "No I can't ride one pedalled". It's not about having one up on anyone, it's about feeling the confidence of knowing you're profficient to a recognised level.

Riding for fun can be about personal targets. Once I've got this down pat, the wheel walk is next for me, and I won't be satisfied until I can roll it 10m.
Old 2008-03-27, 09:25 PM   #21
surndr
Surndr

just keep trying i learned on a junker if it could be bent it was (cranks,shaft,wheel everything)...now i could probably ride anything lol
surndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 02:25 AM   #22
patsandy100
I ride a kh20 :D

Send a message via MSN to patsandy100 Send a message via Skype™ to patsandy100
SOrry for res'in this thread but i am trying to learn One footed uni'n and i can get 8 revs my best and average about 4. Most of the time i fall off after that somtimes i can get my foot back on the pedal. Somtimes :P Anyway, I ride a Kh20 whats a crown on a frame? and my seat is quiet low cut off about 3 inches of the seatpost and its sits at the bottom of the frame so pretty low and its hard to pull up. Any advice? Sorry for the thread respawn

Pat
Believe in the FSM and his noodly appendage.
I Love harry the hazmat
patsandy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 03:13 AM   #23
mill_mobile
Riding for FCM - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsandy100
SOrry for res'in this thread but i am trying to learn One footed uni'n and i can get 8 revs my best and average about 4. Most of the time i fall off after that somtimes i can get my foot back on the pedal. Somtimes :P Anyway, I ride a Kh20 whats a crown on a frame? and my seat is quiet low cut off about 3 inches of the seatpost and its sits at the bottom of the frame so pretty low and its hard to pull up. Any advice? Sorry for the thread respawn

Pat
Do you put your free foot on the crown or dangle it out the side?
Old 2008-06-18, 03:29 AM   #24
patsandy100

I tuck my leg so its above the pedal. So yes i dangle it :P What is the crown? I am guessing its where you can put your feet on the frame.
I Love harry the hazmat
Old 2008-06-18, 03:42 AM   #25
mill_mobile
Riding for FCM - RIP

Quote:
I tuck my leg so its above the pedal. So yes i dangle it :P What is the crown? I am guessing its where you can put your feet on the frame.
Ok, the crown is the 'cross section' of the frame where there is the flat bit under the seat post bit (above the tyre).
This may seem wierd at first - it took me a while to feel comfortable and get any benefit from it, but once i felt comfortable and got used to it i could ride forever 1fted... put your foot on the crown - you may need to raise your seat a bit by the sound of it, but that depends on the length of your legs.
Once your comfortable with this you will find it gives you greater control of the uni (it'll feel the opposite until your used to it) and in turn let you go further, its also easier to get back on the pedal from this position in my opinion.
One other mistake i made while trying to learn this was i was just trying to fly along then take my foot off and keep going - you MUST go at a comfortable pace and use your foot still on the pedal to still pedal with like 'normal'
Hope this helps - if anything is unclear just ask again... i think some of that sounds a bit 'round-a-bout'!
Good luck!
Old 2008-06-18, 04:07 AM   #26
patsandy100

Thanks mill that helps heaps! I will go try putting my foot on the frame in a minute anyway What i have been doing is getting up some speed then just 1ft'in it till i run out of speed hehe. Ok i know what the crown is now If i have any more problems ill re post. Thanks mill.
I Love harry the hazmat
Old 2008-06-18, 05:52 AM   #27
mill_mobile
Riding for FCM - RIP

No worries mate,
Let us know how you went.
I bet it felt wierd and kinda put you off balance at first...
It wont take long till you get used to it though
Old 2008-06-18, 06:33 AM   #28
patsandy100

Wow it seems almost impossible to get your foot onto the crown but i got it and it definately helped me balance better. not that i can get remarkably any more revs but I can transistion to 2 feet now few more days and ill have it no worries! Some one should make a video tutorial. definately need the foot on the frame. Thanks Mill!!!
I Love harry the hazmat
Old 2008-06-18, 07:09 AM   #29
mill_mobile
Riding for FCM - RIP

Quote:
Wow it seems almost impossible to get your foot onto the crown but i got it and it definately helped me balance better. not that i can get remarkably any more revs but I can transistion to 2 feet now few more days and ill have it no worries! Some one should make a video tutorial. definately need the foot on the frame. Thanks Mill!!!
Not a problem, glad i could help
I might make a vid tutorial on the weekend.
Did you need to raise your seat a bit? It helps allow more room for your foot to get to the crown.
Now for me i dont have the seat higher as such - i ride with a seat higher than i used to anyway and find it easier for SIF and just riding in general...
Its all experimentation, and what feels strange/hard at first will become normal as you get used to it.
Old 2008-06-18, 07:20 AM   #30
patsandy100

Yea very true, I didn't raise the seat because I think I can jump higher with a lower seat even though my hop isn't great.
I Love harry the hazmat

Tags
foot, unicycle, unicycling