Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-09-10, 06:26 PM   #16
SirCharles1st
Unicyclist

Ok, i'm convinced on geting a handlebar once I get a 36er, but now i'm torn between the V2 and the Nimbus nightrider. I like those especailly since i could lock them up at bike racks, which will be necessary for me since i'll be living in college dorms for the next few years. I'm leaning toward the V2, but I'm still not sure about the handlebars because of the accounts of others..
Old 2019-01-10, 06:54 AM   #17
slamdance
Unicyclist

handlebars BEWARE

Just bought one of these "handlebar kits" the nimbus shadow handle set.
My plan was to buy something larger than my 24" mountain for the near future.
However, I wanted to "try" this out with what I had.
Good thing. I had some major injury falling and here's some advice.

Results:
1.) The additional "tip down" force tends to create a "very fragile" stability. As you enjoy leaning forward with your weight on the bars and seat more comfortable and going fast, the slightest disruption will cause you to crash. Not just a normal "land on your feet" UPD. More like a forward end/over/end fall. Don't think so? Next time you ride, try leaning forward a little more...and more......you will find yourself going faster...but then...

2.) I recommend you "do not" angle the seat at all. Keep it level and do not lean on the bar too much. Put your hands on the bar mainly to compensate for side/side wobble, when trying to go faster.

3.) There is a basic design problem with the "geared" post and "geared" saddle mounting bracket. It comes loose after 10 minutes of riding. Why? Not the screw, but the basic gear mesh of the two parts. Typically, with "good gear mesh" the points do not come in contact, but rather the flats so there is better contact area. You can remedy this by filing the tips before assembly. Also, the surface contact of the single M10x30 button head bolt is crappy. You should try to find a washer with a small OD(17mm or less).

Keep in mind, this was tested on a 24" unicycle not a 36". It's possible the larger wheel will roll better and be more stable. Pratt and Geezer don't seem to have any problems with it. However, you must also be better skilled to ride such a big wheel, also. I'd recommend to anyone before putting on handle bars to try them out on smaller unicycle, first. So you can get the feel and ride "cautiously", I believe using these bars and riding fast is for advanced/expert level. I thought I was pretty rock solid riding on grass and large gravel, and I can ride with just pedal pressure for balance(no arms needed). There is very little reporting by riders using this on anything less than a 36".

Last edited by slamdance; 2019-01-10 at 07:10 AM.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-10, 10:02 PM   #18
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
Just bought one of these "handlebar kits" the nimbus shadow handle set.
My plan was to buy something larger than my 24" mountain for the near future.
However, I wanted to "try" this out with what I had.
Good thing. I had some major injury falling and here's some advice.

Results:
1.) The additional "tip down" force tends to create a "very fragile" stability. As you enjoy leaning forward with your weight on the bars and seat more comfortable and going fast, the slightest disruption will cause you to crash. Not just a normal "land on your feet" UPD. More like a forward end/over/end fall. Don't think so? Next time you ride, try leaning forward a little more...and more......you will find yourself going faster...but then...

2.) I recommend you "do not" angle the seat at all. Keep it level and do not lean on the bar too much. Put your hands on the bar mainly to compensate for side/side wobble, when trying to go faster.

3.) There is a basic design problem with the "geared" post and "geared" saddle mounting bracket. It comes loose after 10 minutes of riding. Why? Not the screw, but the basic gear mesh of the two parts. Typically, with "good gear mesh" the points do not come in contact, but rather the flats so there is better contact area. You can remedy this by filing the tips before assembly. Also, the surface contact of the single M10x30 button head bolt is crappy. You should try to find a washer with a small OD(17mm or less).

Keep in mind, this was tested on a 24" unicycle not a 36". It's possible the larger wheel will roll better and be more stable. Pratt and Geezer don't seem to have any problems with it. However, you must also be better skilled to ride such a big wheel, also. I'd recommend to anyone before putting on handle bars to try them out on smaller unicycle, first. So you can get the feel and ride "cautiously", I believe using these bars and riding fast is for advanced/expert level. I thought I was pretty rock solid riding on grass and large gravel, and I can ride with just pedal pressure for balance(no arms needed). There is very little reporting by riders using this on anything less than a 36".
If you are at your max safe RPM at 12 mph on a 24"... you'll reach your max safe RPM at 18 mph on a 36"!!!
That's why the handlebar works better on big wheel: big wheels requires more torque but don't suffer from overspinnig at extreme RPM as smaller wheels do. Keep your handle bar for your big wheel! I use it on my hunirex and it is perfect for the job
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 04:20 AM   #19
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
The additional "tip down" force tends to create a "very fragile" stability. As you enjoy leaning forward with your weight on the bars and seat more comfortable and going fast, the slightest disruption will cause you to crash. Not just a normal "land on your feet" UPD. More like a forward end/over/end fall. Don't think so? Next time you ride, try leaning forward a little more...and more......you will find yourself going faster...but then...
It might just be a matter of getting used to it. I've been using handlebars for the last few years and now anytime I ride hands-free (eating a snack, getting something out of my backpack etc) it feels very unstable. In fact, when riding fast I'm not game to let go of the bars because I find the speed wobbles (both longitudinal and lateral) very unsettling.

Quote:
There is a basic design problem with the "geared" post and "geared" saddle mounting bracket. It comes loose after 10 minutes of riding. Why? Not the screw, but the basic gear mesh of the two parts. Typically, with "good gear mesh" the points do not come in contact, but rather the flats so there is better contact area. You can remedy this by filing the tips before assembly. Also, the surface contact of the single M10x30 button head bolt is crappy. You should try to find a washer with a small OD(17mm or less).
Maybe yours is defective. I have over 3000km on my Shadow base/bar and it's never come loose once. When I first set it up I cranked it down pretty tight and used threadlocker on the bolt.

Quote:
Again, I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. Same with the larger wheel sizes - compared to smaller wheels I would describe a 36" as harder to mount but easier to ride.
Old 2019-01-11, 04:55 AM   #20
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

I'm with LBJ on this one.

SD's advice with handlebars definitely applies to learning how to use handlebars.
Once you really start getting used to your bars, the stability they provide is tremendous.

I ride my KH29 with bars that put me in a very upright and straight riding position.
My riding is all muni.

Bonus for bars is a place to mount lights for night (winter) riding.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 05:15 AM   #21
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
There is very little reporting by riders using this on anything less than a 36".
I have used the Shadow handle on 29", 26" and 24" unicycles. I first installed the Shadow handle on my 29er. I was hesitant to cut length off the handle, so I started out with the handle at full length. Between that and the rim brake I had installed, I felt I was going to eat pavement at any moment. I became both scared and bored of road riding, converted the 29er to a muni, and shortened the handle.

Around the same time, I installed a KH T-bar on my 26" muni. Eventually I swapped the T-bar and Shadow handle (which ended up on my 26"). I spent a *lot* of time adjusting / experimenting with both the Shadow Handle and the T-bar. The Shadow Handle is more stiff, which I like. I ended up also installing a Shadow handle on my 24".

I think you're going to have to play around with the handle before you can really evaluate it. The first time I used a handle, it seemed like a nuisance. Now, I ride virtually 100% of the time with both hands on the bar ends.

Regarding your comment about the tightening bolt: I tighten the heck out of it. Figure out how much torque you can apply without deforming the bolt head. I overdid it and had to replace one of the bolts. But, I could go a long time without having to check tightness (which is a kind of PITA with the Shadow).

Your post didn't indicate how long the handle was, but I suggest you cut it down to muni length, learn to use it at that length, then later on if you feel like it, buy a longer bar. Also, find something to put on the bar ends to soften the blow of the handle hitting the ground. I use rubber stoppers for lacrosse sticks. They have a nice, cushy end. And tighten the crap out of the bolt.

And regarding whether the seat should angle up or down or not at all, I think there's no substitute for experimentation.

On a side note, I just installed a Mad4One seat/handle on my 26". I bought it with no adornment. On my first ride, I wore thick bicycle shorts. The seat/handle engaged my sit bones nicely and was fairly comfortable, considering that I was sitting on aluminum bars. I bought the "L" (long) model. It measures the same length as my Shadow setup, though it "feels" longer. As with the Shadow and T-bar, it's going to take a lot of experimentation to get it "dialed-in".

slamdance, sorry to hear you injured yourself. I hope you are able to keep riding.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 12:26 AM   #22
gwymer
Unicyclist

36er choices

Let me complicate your choices further and say that 2 of us here in Birmingham AL have the QX36er and love them. We have had them for a couple of years now. We also loved the price compared to the other choices. Hit me up on PM and I can put you in contact with a US rep on pricing for the QX.

Here is the unicycle link.

http://www.goudurix.com/us/qx-series...xle-black.html

It also comes in white. The pricing I can get is different than listed on their site.

BTW--We use the KH Tbar handle setup on ours and like that.
gwymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 03:22 AM   #23
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwymer View Post
Let me complicate your choices further and say that 2 of us here in Birmingham AL have the QX36er and love them. We have had them for a couple of years now. We also loved the price compared to the other choices. Hit me up on PM and I can put you in contact with a US rep on pricing for the QX.

Here is the unicycle link.

http://www.goudurix.com/us/qx-series...xle-black.html

It also comes in white. The pricing I can get is different than listed on their site.

BTW--We use the KH Tbar handle setup on ours and like that.
Can I interest you in a set of encyclopaedias? You don’t know what you’re missing!
Old 2019-01-13, 05:31 PM   #24
fetzenschorsch
„I donˋt like Carpaccio tires.“

Mad4One seat/handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
On a side note, I just installed a Mad4One seat/handle on my 26". I bought it with no adornment. On my first ride, I wore thick bicycle shorts. The seat/handle engaged my sit bones nicely and was fairly comfortable, considering that I was sitting on aluminum bars. I bought the "L" (long) model. It measures the same length as my Shadow setup, though it "feels" longer. As with the Shadow and T-bar, it's going to take a lot of experimentation to get it "dialed-in".
Hello elpuebloUNIdo, do you think the Mad4one seat/handle would be comfortabel for longer rides, prepared with handlebar tape and a little foam padding on the aluminium tubes.
I have the muni version with padding by Marco and I like it very much and consider buying the long version.

Tags
benifits, handlebars