Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-11-24, 12:13 AM   #61
Scoox
Wheel enthusiast

Don't rim brakes rub a lot? Even my disc brake rubs while riding (just while riding). The guy who runs UDC China told me 'rim brakes don't work well with unicycles'.
Old 2018-11-24, 02:18 AM   #62
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Don't rim brakes rub a lot? Even my disc brake rubs while riding (just while riding). The guy who runs UDC China told me 'rim brakes don't work well with unicycles'.
When properly adjusted rim brakes do not rub at all.

Read MuniAddict's post at: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=108761
Pretty much covers it.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-24, 03:05 AM   #63
Scoox
Wheel enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
When properly adjusted rim brakes do not rub at all.

Read MuniAddict's post at: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=108761
Pretty much covers it.
True but properly adjusted brakes can't reduce a frame's inherent flexiness so I assume by 'properly adjusted breaks' we mean 'sufficient pad clearance'.

Honestly I'm a bit dissapointed with the KH 'stock' brake setup. I don't know whether my frame is abnormally flexy or I need a more sophisticated brake that allows pad clearance adjustment. With Maggie's adjusting pad clearance is very easy but, due to the nature of physics, deflection will always be greater near the rim which means greater pad clearance needed which means more lever travel before the pad engages the rim when intentionally braking.
Old 2018-12-21, 10:10 AM   #64
Quax1974
Wobbly

Update,

Unfortunalty not one on the comparison to the 27.5”

The box was deliverd almost 4 weeks ago but it was too hectic at home to unpack it.
Then when after more than two weeks I finally managed to unpack it I was pleasantly surprised: not only the brake set was included, there was also a nice QU-AX T-shirt added to the package.

Unfortunately during assembly I found that the frame / end cap fitting around the bearing was not optimal. Either the rotation of the wheel was not smooth or these was some sideways tilt possible (noticeable shift when pulling by hand on the crank, not even sitting on it).
Again QA-AX customer service was great, they asked me to send back the wheel, frame and end caps and they would provide me new ones.
The new parts where shipped before they even received my parts.

The courier however is a different story
Wednesday I found a “not at home notice”, informing me that the package would be delivered Thursday at a pick-up location.
A bike shop actually!!
So far for the fun stuff…
It was not delivered at the bike shop yesterday, status info on courier website very unclear:
2 times not delivered, new address assigned??? Package at a different hub as initially.
30 minutes holding time on the phone…
They eventually told me it would be delivered still today at the bike shop.
Let’s hope so.

I really want to try it this weekend and check as well if my daughter fits on it.
For her I will probably have to use a non-reinforced saddle post because the triangular reinforcement below the seat takes away some 8 cm of insertable length.
Really looking forward to the 24” and I hope the delivery works out this time. I want to ride when visiting my mom for Christmas and the 20” and 24” will be easier to take along.

I’m also making downhill progress on the brakeless 27.5.
Last weekend I tackled three descents that I found previously too steep.
Note: these are not steep by any means, I’m just a lousy municyclist.

But I’m working on it!
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 12:43 PM   #65
SebRio

That's a bummer, Quax. But at least their customer service was great about it. I hate having to wait for companies to receive what you're sending back and only then send what you need. Glad to hear QA-AX isn't like that.
SebRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 06:20 PM   #66
fetzenschorsch
Peace on Earth Unicycle Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebRio View Post
That's a bummer, Quax. But at least their customer service was great about it. I hate having to wait for companies to receive what you're sending back and only then send what you need. Glad to hear QA-AX isn't like that.
there are too many babbling heads in this forum, are you dissatisfied with your lives?
Old 2018-12-22, 12:31 PM   #67
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
there are too many babbling heads in this forum, are you dissatisfied with your lives?
I think you can say that we are dissatisfied with the unicycles we have and keep looking for something else.

Last time I chose to buy an ultimate wheel, but I found out that now that I have a wife and child, they require a lot of my time. The only way I can ride a UW is when I can spend an hour every day for a week, 2 weeks, maybe even three. With 4-5 days between training sessions, it takes too long to get back to the stage I was at, at the last training session.
Long story short, I'm thinking about getting a 24" again. Might still be nice to take it with me to Thailand when staying with the family of my wife. A normal uni is less exhausting than a UW, so it might do in such a warm country too.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 09:39 PM   #68
pierrox
Unicyclist

I think fetzenschorsch was outing SebRio as a forum spammer...
First message to leave such an empty comment, please!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote