Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-12-07, 03:47 AM   #16
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
If you broke a KH you don't want anything with cotterless cranks.

I am also curious what broke. Depending on what it was we might have tips for better parts or re-enforcing weak points.
Quote:
The KH is broken, but that is my fault. I damaged the threads on the crank from using the wrong end of the removal tool while half awake and distracted watching Trump saying something stupid on TV.
I changed my mind, this was definitely Trumps fault that my KH is broken. Obviously a Russian connection...
Old 2017-12-07, 03:48 AM   #17
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
If you broke a KH you don't want anything with cotterless cranks.

I am also curious what broke. Depending on what it was we might have tips for better parts or re-enforcing weak points.

The mini fat unicycles are really built as novelties, rather than extra-heavy-duty unicycles. You will want to stick to Trials or MUni style unicycles for now as they are built to take some abuse.

As for innertubes it might be worth while to search for 15 or 16" motorcycle innertubes. 15" is the right size for a trials rim, and 16" for a 20" rim. They are close enough in size that you could interchange them and if running higher pressures would not feel any difference.
Good to know if I ever have trouble finding proper trials tubes, thanks!
Old 2017-12-07, 03:58 AM   #18
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
EDIT: I just saw this:

Completely understandable. If you did what I think you did all you have to do is run a tap down the threads. If you can't find a tap locally, the threads are't too bad, and have a spare crank bolt and a fine cutting wheel, you can cut a slot in the threads of the bolt as a DIY tap. It won't be able to cut new threads but it could be good enough to clean up the threads in the hub with some elbow grease and cutting oil.

Why were you taking your cranks off?
To replace the wheel bearings.

No one had the tap locally, waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

Thanks for the idea on the home made tap, no cutting tool or spare bolt. Much appreciated!
Old 2017-12-07, 04:38 PM   #19
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

This makes so much more sense as the base for a 20" fat tired uni:

http://unaruota.com/ZC/index.php?mai...roducts_id=970

I like that you have the brake option, with or without holes in the rims, etc. Would be nice if in the BTO, seatpost and pedal options were there too, but overall a pretty good variety of choices from the get go.
Old 2017-12-08, 03:48 AM   #20
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I did not know Mad4One made a mini-fat. That one is obviously an exception to the built for novelty rather than use generalization I made earlier. I would like to try one one day.

On the subject of your schnuckered threads I just stumbled upon this video that I thought I would share. While I really like those tiny cutting wheels on a dremmel tool he is probably right that a filed grove is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5LWcTVeWR8
Old 2017-12-08, 05:08 AM   #21
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
I did not know Mad4One made a mini-fat. That one is obviously an exception to the built for novelty rather than use generalization I made earlier. I would like to try one one day.

On the subject of your schnuckered threads I just stumbled upon this video that I thought I would share. While I really like those tiny cutting wheels on a dremmel tool he is probably right that a filed grove is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5LWcTVeWR8
Mad4One made it as a fat tyre muni for young kids.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-08, 08:47 AM   #22
pierrox
Unicyclist

It's a kid muni/fatty and it's great for that purpose.
Not sure it would work for an adult.

Fix your KH, learn to ride. Then you can decide what to do. In the meantime, it's all speculation. And no uni will make the process easier or magical: you have to learn to ride.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-08, 01:26 PM   #23
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post

Fix your KH, learn to ride. Then you can decide what to do. In the meantime, it's all speculation. And no uni will make the process easier or magical: you have to learn to ride.
I reckon one of those bi-Unicycles will make it easier the one with wheels at the front and back
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-08, 02:48 PM   #24
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
Mad4One made it as a fat tyre muni for young kids.
Quote:
I'm sorry but so what? I look at the component list rather than the marketing section when figuring what unicycles might be suitable for a task.

When I look at that unicycle I see a cromoly steel frame with machined bearing housings and a disk mount, ISIS disk hub with good quality ISIS cranks, 25.4mm seatpost, a mini-fat tire with proper tread on it, and all the other bits and pieces to make it work. All coming from a company not known for cheap or weak components.

My criticisms of the Mad4One based on what I can see online would be the width of the rim (I would prefer ~65mm for the 4" tire for running lower pressure) and the option for longer cranks. I would think of this as an extra bouncy high-flotation 24" MUni and longer cranks might be called for.
Old 2017-12-08, 06:14 PM   #25
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:

Wrong.

I have another conventional unicycle which spits out from under me unpredicatably super fast at times. It totally sucks compared to practicing on the KH, which has NEVER done that. My kids can even tell the difference, and prefer it over all the other unicycles we have been practicing on. After getting the KH I don't want to practice on the others at all.
Old 2017-12-08, 06:18 PM   #26
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
I'm sorry but so what? I look at the component list rather than the marketing section when figuring what unicycles might be suitable for a task.

When I look at that unicycle I see a cromoly steel frame with machined bearing housings and a disk mount, ISIS disk hub with good quality ISIS cranks, 25.4mm seatpost, a mini-fat tire with proper tread on it, and all the other bits and pieces to make it work. All coming from a company not known for cheap or weak components.

My criticisms of the Mad4One based on what I can see online would be the width of the rim (I would prefer ~65mm for the 4" tire for running lower pressure) and the option for longer cranks. I would think of this as an extra bouncy high-flotation 24" MUni and longer cranks might be called for.
That's what I thought. The company is known for making great durable products, the parts looked pretty good. It might need different cranks and pedals and a longer seat post and then be just fine for an adult. Could ask them directly for their opinion.
Old 2017-12-08, 08:43 PM   #27
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
Wrong.

I have another conventional unicycle which spits out from under me unpredicatably super fast at times. It totally sucks compared to practicing on the KH, which has NEVER done that. My kids can even tell the difference, and prefer it over all the other unicycles we have been practicing on. After getting the KH I don't want to practice on the others at all.
Well the conventional uni is spitting from under you because you're still learning and that what those things do until your body/brain is rewired. The KH doesn't do it as much because of the fat tire. But it's also not doing you a favor as it won't allow your brain to learn to ride the proper way. It's like learning to walk with crotches.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-09, 12:10 AM   #28
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
Well the conventional uni is spitting from under you because you're still learning and that what those things do until your body/brain is rewired. The KH doesn't do it as much because of the fat tire. But it's also not doing you a favor as it won't allow your brain to learn to ride the proper way. It's like learning to walk with crotches.
Are you sure that your brain is wired up properly when you make such statements?

Setting up the threshold of initial success further away and making it more difficult and frustrating to and much longer to attain. If someone is just starting out in boxing, you don't send them to a death match with Tyson. Maybe some gentle sparring to build confidence. If someone is a beginning painter, they don't start at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, etc.

Some out there learn on full sized 27.5" Mountain Unicycles. I am sure their brains are wired up to the task of transitioning to other sizes, like skinny wheeled 20". Point is, they started with a size they liked, and one size does not fit all.

The KH doesn't spit out from under me, NEVER. It is aluminum and does not flex. The other one is steel, and it flexes under my bodyweight and recoils like a loaded spring. It is also square taper cranks. Not as good.

Unicycling is difficult enough to learn as it is. I choose going with something to make this as easy as possible. I will be going to different and more difficult wheel sizes later on. This is far more sensible.
Old 2017-12-09, 02:28 AM   #29
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

My apologies for the wired brain comment above. I thought I posted something different, when the server went out of commision. I saw that now and can't seem to edit it out.
Old 2017-12-09, 06:10 AM   #30
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Yes, if that wheel is known to be fragile to most people, it is something I would probably break just by looking at it wrong.
I don't really know if the wheel is un-strong, but I do know that it rides very oddly, so would be lousy for learning on. Trials/Muni wheels are the way to go.
Quote:
I damaged the threads on the crank from using the wrong end of the removal tool while half awake and distracted watching Trump saying something stupid on TV.
I found the solution to that. If Trump is talking on the TV, change the channel. You won't miss anything meaningful.
Quote:
I changed my mind, this was definitely Trumps fault that my KH is broken. Obviously a Russian connection...
The crank tool was rigged!

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fat, mini, sun, unicycle