Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-08-23, 07:08 PM   #16
bradahj
Fail 'Til You Succeed

Thanks

Thanks for the insight and quick reply.
bradahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-24, 05:25 AM   #17
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Hey bradahj, I've had a blast on jogging trails and unpaved roads on my narrow 29" wheel with a sub 2" tire, and I dread riding my muni from the parking lot to the trail head. Riding on a road tire off pavement is a fun test of skill. Riding on an off-road tire on pavement is just extra work. I suggest the Road.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-05, 12:30 PM   #18
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

How tall are you? If you are larger a 29 would probably be fine. I never took to the 29er on a uni. But I'm relatively short and light at 5'7" 140lbs. I found the 29 to be neither here nor there. Not big enough for road riding and not small enough for more technical muni (actually a nightmare). But of course some people love the 29. I have a 19, 27.5 and a 36. I love all of them and there's not much overlap, though I sometimes ride the 27.5 on the road if I want to jump shit like curbs and such.

I would go with the 27.5. I think with the new kh frames you can put a 29 wheel in that later if you want.
kahunacohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-18, 04:25 AM   #19
Dogsock
Unicyclist

So I pulled the trigger on the 2017 KH 27.5" Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread with advice. I've only had it out 4 times however it's been a complete blast. I definitely had to 'relearn' how to mount the bigger wheel having only ridden a 20". Unicycle.com was great. They shipped quickly and if it weren't for the wildfires that shut the interstate down coming into Portland, it would have been here pretty quick. Overall impressions are great so far!

Comments/ Observations
  • It was almost fully assembled in the box! Just had to insert seat tube and pedals.
  • Extremely high quality as expected from this price point
  • It's big. The 3.25 tire is much beefier than I expected. Glad I didn't go with my initial plan of a 29"
  • Using a disc brake is fantastic on downhills. Love it.
  • Much harder than I thought riding up steep trails. Need to keep momentum.
  • Free mounting took a few tries to learn on this big wheel.

I'll update the thread when I get a bit more time on the trail. I also need to figure out the best seat height and tilt.

Any good suggestion for a 27.5 tire that I might ride on the asphalt/ gravel trails when the rain hits here?
Dogsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-19, 03:13 AM   #20
Dogsock
Unicyclist

Some pics

Reference point with my 20" Schwinn that I got for Christmas when I was 10 years old. A long time ago..
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #21
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

I used to mess with putting different tires for street riding. Save yourself time and money. It's too much of a pain to switch tires so I end up leaving my Mountain Tire on all the time. Believe it or not 27.5 is really too small for most street riding. Even if you have dual hole cranks. "Invest" in a 36. You'll never look back for street riding. But if you are a beginner there's a learning curve. That's not to say I don't use my 27.5 on the road but not for any appreciable distance. Short distance Urban riding I'd say.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM   #22
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

I used to mess with putting different tires for street riding. Save yourself time and money. It's too much of a pain to switch tires so I end up leaving my Mountain Tire on all the time. Believe it or not 27.5 is really too small for most street riding. Even if you have dual hole cranks. "Invest" in a 36. You'll never look back for street riding. But if you are a beginner there's a learning curve. That's not to say I don't use my 27.5 on the road but not for any appreciable distance. Short distance Urban riding I'd say.
Old Today, 06:04 AM   #23
Dogsock
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahunacohen View Post
I appreciate the note! I'll stick with the big tire. I've been riding a lot and I'm really happy I went with the 27.5. And, of course, I'm already thinking about my next ride. 36...

Tags
kh 275 or 29