Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-12-05, 03:44 AM   #16
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Go Terry!

My condolences on your loss, I remember one (or all?) of your previous centuries were for your brother and the charities associated with his illness. It's good to know his memory is continuing to inspire you!

Did you have any technical hiccups this time? I seem to remember broken spokes...

I too would be interested in a calory/water/whatever else you consume on these adventures breakdown, and how you manage to carry all all of it!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 04:01 AM   #17
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Go Terry!

My condolences on your loss, I remember one (or all?) of your previous centuries were for your brother and the charities associated with his illness. It's good to know his memory is continuing to inspire you!

Did you have any technical hiccups this time? I seem to remember broken spokes...

I too would be interested in a calory/water/whatever else you consume on these adventures breakdown, and how you manage to carry all all of it!
Thanks so much, and you have a very good memory! Yes, on my very first century I had several broken spokes, mainly because they were defective and NOT the black stainless OEM that Kris has on all his unis. These were a no-name silver spoke and they were just maybe a bad batch, but I really wanted the KH spokes. So Kris subsequently sent me a new replacement set of the correct spokes, and I haven't had an issue yet, after several years now! But luckily it was smooth sailing all the way today. I posted about food and stuff a post or two back.

Cheers!

UG

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2014-12-05 at 04:03 AM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 04:23 AM   #18
Gear
Unicyclist

Great Job! I was think of you this morning wondering if you would be in the clear as far as rain. At 4:00 am in San Diego it was really pouring. Figured if you missed that last spell of rain at least the cool tempetures would help you out. Congrats on a fantastic ride.

I'd love to know what size cranks you used. Assuming 110?

Nimbus Oregon 26
Nimbus Oracle 36
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 04:43 AM   #19
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear View Post
Great Job! I was think of you this morning wondering if you would be in the clear as far as rain. At 4:00 am in San Diego it was really pouring. Figured if you missed that last spell of rain at least the cool tempetures would help you out. Congrats on a fantastic ride.

I'd love to know what size cranks you used. Assuming 110?
Yeah luck was on my side weather-wise! I was using 114mm centures zero "Q" cranks.

Website
Videos
Facebook
Old 2014-12-05, 03:55 PM   #20
rem48
just for exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
Thanks Legdog. I got lots of good footage, mostly while riding and I cover a lot of that. But I really swear by "NUNN" electrolytes! In previous centuries I would sometimes develop seriously painful leg cramps, but the last to I've done there was zero cramping!

I basically add 5 or 6 fizzie tabs to 100 oz of water/gatorade and I'm good to go. For food, before the ride I had a bowl of oatmeal with banana and raisins, and drink 16oz of gatorade with a NUNN added, to "prime the pump" so to speak.

During the ride I ate oatmeal cookies (super good and high in carbs), dried fruit, almonds, trail mix and GU energy gels. I think I must have burned close to 5,000 calories all told.

UG
Ok, What are NUNN stuff? I have never heard of it. Also, what does GU stand for? I am really looking forward to the video! You are the man Terry! Congrats on the accomplishment!
rem48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 06:28 PM   #21
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

http://www.nuun.com/

I assume he means these

What is Trail Mix too? I assume we have an English equivelent but have never heard the term...
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 07:12 PM   #22
MuniAddict

Yes that's it. Here's a direct link to the tabs.

The "GU" Gels are just one of many various companies that make energy gels. I prefer them to other brands. The "trail mix" is a fairly generic term for a mixture of nuts, fruit and sometimes with come m&m's added all together in a bag. It's another convenient way to get some good energy and nutrition on the ride.

Name:  trail mix.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  52.0 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2014-12-05 at 07:14 PM.
Old 2014-12-05, 09:34 PM   #23
rem48
just for exercise

thanks for the info. now on to more pressing matters Terry. I see you usually have a back pack on you in your videos. What are you carrying? Food? Repair parts? Readers digest??
rem48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 09:48 PM   #24
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem48 View Post
thanks for the info. now on to more pressing matters Terry. I see you usually have a back pack on you in your videos. What are you carrying? Food? Repair parts? Readers digest??
Haha, maybe the audio version! Well, for the big ride yesterday I started with 100oz of G2 gatorade with 6 NUNNs added for extra electrolytes, (had to refill after mile 75) then all my food as mentioned, motrin, bandaids, sunblock, lip balm, tissues, money, cell phone, extra camera and batteries, tire repair stuff, pump, couple extra spokes (didn't need them luckily!), Ipod nano with classical, rock, etc. Also an AM radio for listening to talk radio (Mp3's don't have AM band). Think that's about it.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2014-12-05 at 09:49 PM.

Tags
100, city, day, hope, miles