Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-12-11, 07:25 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
John do you take more than one unicycle to Unicon?
For the fly-to ones, it's usually two. With today's flying restrictions it's hard to bring any more and still have luggage for a long trip. Which two depends on the activities I'm focused on. Actually for Unicon 17 I squeezed in my three favorites (see photo). In the past I brought a 29" for Muni and the 700c races (and cruising around) but my 24" is better for difficult courses, and a little smaller. Those three unis in the photo, and all that other stuff, fit into the big rolling zipper bags I get at the local flea market.

I have rarely flown with a 36". If I were more competitive in those Road races I would find a way, but just bringing one of those is quite a burden for flight + rental car-type trips. Even though I have a bag big enough to fit two of them! But what I have done, at several NAUCC and Unicon events, is find people willing to let me ride theirs. In 2006 I was the first person to race a geared 36" in a Marathon race (but it wasn't mine, I wasn't very used to it, and I wasn't very fast).
Quote:
Originally Posted by vookash View Post
In Italy there was a daily muni ride, but that was organized by volunteers as far as i know so it's all up to us now.
I tried to go on one of those, but ended up at Plose with no tour. I would definitely be interested in helping organize fun rides (dirt, Road and urban) for this Unicon, but it's hard for us non-locals. They will need our help though, because I don't think there's a local uni club there at all. I believe this event was sold to us by a group that want our convention business, and made a (very) good offer for a hosting situation.

While the main organizers often can't spare any bodies during the convention, if we can get advance help on planning rides, we might be able to organize some without need of taking up the time of people who are busy with convention and competition details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
I defer to johnfoss, since I've certainly never done any such rides myself, but I suggest that to test yourself against yourself is also a worthy motivation.
That's kind of what training is. The more you prepare for the events you plan to enter, the better you will be able to do your best possible performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
Marathons are fine, but Phidippides might not have fallen dead as soon as he delivered his news if he had stopped for a bite and a sip now and then along the way.
True. He did his first marathon without any training for that distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
Shouldn't Unicons and NAUCC events regularly include grown-up activities like this? Not everything has to be for the kids.
Absolutely. Though at the same time, today's competition events, such as the Road races, are very much not kids' events. The athleticism is at an extremely high level! But yes, the convention aspect has always taken a back seat, because the competitions are "have to" priorities, while fun rides are "nice to have" things. As are workshops.
Attached Images

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-11, 07:33 AM   #17
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
[...] I would definitely be interested in helping organize fun rides (dirt, Road and urban) for this Unicon, but it's hard for us non-locals. They will need our help though, because I don't think there's a local uni club there at all. I believe this event was sold to us by a group that want our convention business, and made a (very) good offer for a hosting situation.

While the main organizers often can't spare any bodies during the convention, if we can get advance help on planning rides, we might be able to organize some without need of taking up the time of people who are busy with convention and competition details.
[...]
There is no local group but there is a bunch of riders in the Basque country that could definitely help to plan it beforehand. I will try to contact them for this.
Old 2015-12-12, 04:54 AM   #18
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Large Eddie, I'm sure it's for both kids and kids-at-heart. Generally speaking, I think older unicycle riders are much more in touch with their inner child than most people. I think older kids might also be able to join a "vuelta de pinxto". People of all ages in Spain stay up late and hang out in the town squares, at least that's been my experience on past trips to Spain.

John, thanks for the photo of you're traveling unicycles. I love the red seat. You've got a good point about bringing a 36er. It seems like a hassle if you know you're not in contention to win. Hats off on doing it on a geared 36er. I'm thinking two unicycles will be enough for me. Maybe one will be my starter unicycle that I might not mind leaving behind.

Also thanks Vookash and Moslki on the info.

Gosh, it's over seven months away.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-12, 06:50 PM   #19
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Large Eddie, I'm sure it's for both kids and kids-at-heart. Generally speaking, I think older unicycle riders are much more in touch with their inner child than most people. I think older kids might also be able to join a "vuelta de pinxto". People of all ages in Spain stay up late and hang out in the town squares, at least that's been my experience on past trips to Spain.
Just be aware, that the structure of the event is all around the competitions, and it tends to be difficult to get people to do non-competitive fun stuff, because one guy wants to go do the 100m, and someone else wants to watch trials, and the other person has group freestyle practice. If you want to do something fun like a pinxto/vino crawl, you should get it on the schedule and get at least a few people on board before the event.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-12, 08:12 PM   #20
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Yes to what Tom said. Unicon keeps getting more and more like a mini-Olympics, with lots of overlap between events. Back in the day, everything was one at a time, and most people participated in most of the disciplines (but there were less of them!).

I hope they will open up a "Workshop" schedule where people can post events, so then attempts can be made to structure it all so it can be most inclusive, or be at the right venue, etc. That would be nice.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
Old 2016-06-22, 10:00 PM   #21
muni123
Unicyclist

I'll be in Barcelona for the week prior to unicon and am looking to see if anyone is driving to San Sebastien that I could possibly hook a ride with. If you have some room please let me know either here or send me a PM. Also if you're in Barcelona and wanna meet for a ride I would love to meet up.

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs
muni123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 10:30 AM   #22
superfunk
vegetable powered

If you don't find anyone, I suggest you to try couchsurfing.
superfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 03:19 PM   #23
Vertigo
Unicyclist

I got an email from the Road Race Director yesterday and he says there are more than 400 riders signed up for the 10k!

BTW, I rode 26.2 yesterday in three hours on my 29er. Only one UPD at the 21 mile mark.
Old 2016-07-04, 04:12 PM   #24
Sillycontraption
unicyclist

Way to go Vertigo on the marithon!
Old 2016-07-04, 04:21 PM   #25
sukie47
One is enough

Since I am new to this world, I know nothing about Unicon, except for the videos I have watched. Is a Unicon event worth attending if one isn't going to be racing? Are there non-race events? Or, is it better for someone like me who just wants to get together and ride to seek out Unicycling festivals?
Old 2016-07-04, 06:22 PM   #26
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillycontraption View Post
Way to go Vertigo on the marithon!
Thanks Matt.

Quote:
Is a Unicon event worth attending if one isn't going to be racing? Are there non-race events? Or, is it better for someone like me who just wants to get together and ride to seek out Unicycling festivals?
If you like watching uni events I'm sure it's worth it. As far as I can tell there are very few official non-race events. Perhaps there will be impromptu rides. I've never been to Unicon so I'm not quite sure what to expect. As far as I know most events in the US except NUACC and NYC Unifest are geared towards Muni.
Old 2016-07-05, 12:05 AM   #27
Superbant
Unicyclist

Location: Far, far away in a place with a yard and two floors and a basement and a few unicycles and lots of books and tall trees and good food and some computers and lots of unicycle.com stickers and plenty of misspellings and bad grammar and run on sentances
There are also all of the urban competitions, most of which aren't races.
Old 2016-07-07, 06:15 AM   #28
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukie47 View Post
Is a Unicon event worth attending if one isn't going to be racing? Are there non-race events? Or, is it better for someone like me who just wants to get together and ride to seek out Unicycling festivals?
The website does a pretty good job of describing the many events. A lot of them are racing, but there's also Basketball, Hockey, Trials, Street, Flatland, Freestyle and a bunch of other awesome things, including (informally) Sumo, if I have anything to do with it.

The question of attending Unicon vs. a local festival is like going to the Olympics vs. the State Fair; hard to compare. But I think you're asking the wrong question. The racing events (more than most of the others) are designed to be inclusive. People enter them for fun and so should you, if you think you would enjoy it. There is a small group of elite, super-fit riders who are the real competitors. Then there's a much bigger group of highly talented, still very fit riders, who have a blast playing the games. Then there's everybody else, who know they aren't there to win, but they are there to play. And these days, that includes me. I like being able to say I rode in that Marathon race in New Zealand with gusty winds that "literally bitch-slapped me off my unicycle". Or the killer Uphill race in Italy, with the Dolomites as a backdrop.

Last week I had my gall bladder taken out (stones), and I'm not supposed to lift anything over 10 pounds (~5 kg) until more than a week after our luggage has made it to Spain. So my fitness level this time will be on the poor side. Oh well; aside from already having registered anyway, and the fact that I don't miss Unicon no matter what, I'm still entering several events and I'm still going to have more fun than watching them.

And I'll see if I can still snag an "old guys" medal in the IUF Slalom, with even less practice than other recent years.

So I highly recommend entering at least some of the events, and also volunteering. When you volunteer you become part of making things happen, and making them successful. Volunteer help is essential for unicycle conventions to function and it's very rewarding. I'll be doing more of that this year also.

But I do look forward to joining some around-town rides, or dirt rides, or workshops that I hope will get organized. They are also some of the best things about getting together with lots of unicyclists. Here are some pictures from a day of non-competitive Muni that I'll never forget:
https://unicycling.smugmug.com/Unicy...II-Group-MUni/

Last edited by johnfoss; 2016-07-07 at 06:21 AM.
Old 2016-07-07, 10:29 AM   #29
sukie47
One is enough

Thanks John. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I have quite a phobia of flying, so it will take something pretty special to get me on a plane across the pond. This could be just the thing. Maybe I'll see you there. I hope your recovery from your surgery goes smoothly.
Old 2016-07-08, 05:35 AM   #30
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

We all need to tell our irrational fears to suck it. That doesn't make them go away, of course, but it can help us by reminding them that they are not based in fact. Flying is a safer form of travel than anything with wheels (including unicycles). Airplanes work, pilots are smart and very skilled. They'll get you there, and probably your luggage as well.

See you in San Sebastian!

Last edited by johnfoss; 2016-07-08 at 05:36 AM.

Tags
unicon