Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-10-26, 01:41 AM   #31
HiMo
Riding "Unike" since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsjaunts View Post
Staircases were also abundant if you want to practice going up or down those.
I had to giggle at this. Me, a 56 year old woman, doing stairs on a unicycle!

Look, I'll be happy and so satisfied with just being able to go up the curb on my driveway!

School is a good idea, but I think I would drive over. Something about living in this era has made me nervous about busy streets, even on a bike or running. Drivers do not pay attention.

Once you know how, you never forget.
HiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-28, 03:21 PM   #32
dkny
Unicyclist

26" w/ dirt tire and dual hole cranks

If you get the 26", get one with a dirt tire. Even if you never plan to go offroading, it is so much nicer being able to use the grass to swerve around pedestrians. Dirt tire works perfectly fine on pavement too

If you want a one-size fits all, I like a 29" or 27.5" (also, I recommend 125/150mm dual-hole cranks, so you can have 2 different speeds to work with).

26" with a dirt tire was my second ever wheel after riding 20" for 9 years. I LOVED it, but eventually got a larger tire for more commuting. It is the largest wheel you'd want exclusively on the sidewalk, but a bit small (but doable) for the street.

Last edited by dkny; 2019-10-28 at 03:21 PM.
dkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-28, 04:20 PM   #33
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkny View Post
If you get the 26", get one with a dirt tire. Even if you never plan to go offroading, it is so much nicer being able to use the grass to swerve around pedestrians. Dirt tire works perfectly fine on pavement too
A street tire works just fine for going on grass to swerve around pedestrians... A typical mountainbike tires wear faster on the road, and I definitely can tell a difference in resistance and smoothness between a road and a mountainbike tire on pavement.
Old 2019-10-28, 05:45 PM   #34
dkny
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
A street tire works just fine for going on grass to swerve around pedestrians... A typical mountainbike tires wear faster on the road, and I definitely can tell a difference in resistance and smoothness between a road and a mountainbike tire on pavement.
It's a bit slower but has more grip. In theory it wears out faster, but I've put 100's of miles on my dirt tires and the tread doesn't really look any different.

If you're skilled, sure you can go on grass, but there's frequently mulch, mud, 2 inch curbs, and other weird stuff near the sidewalk. A wide, dirt tire is just easier for these things.

Last edited by dkny; 2019-10-28 at 05:46 PM.
dkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-28, 07:15 PM   #35
Nero
NERO

I've gone from 20", 24", 26" to finally a 29". I've ridden a 32" and still for crushing around the neighborhood and what not, the 29" with a Free ride saddle is my preference. Easy to free mount, easy to idle and makes good speed going down the road.
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recommendations, unicycle