Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2007-11-30, 11:19 PM   #1
SqueakyOnion
likes to debate things :D

Send a message via AIM to SqueakyOnion
12" for adults...do they exist?

I was wondering if there are any 12" inch unicycles made for adults? The only ones I can find are meant for young kids, max inseam being 24 inches.

Would one just need a longer seatpost, or is the uni itself not capable of supporting an adult rider (of about 155 lbs)?

The one I was looking at was a Sun 12"
http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Unicycle-1.../dp/B000BF44DS

Thanks for any info!

Live with intention. Walk to the edge.
SqueakyOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 11:30 PM   #2
pdc
Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to pdc
I have one. I'm 6' 3" and I can ride it. It's a little short for me. I think it is that unicycle with a really long seatpost.
Old 2007-11-30, 11:30 PM   #3
SqueakyOnion

Any idea where I could acquire one with a long enough seatpost?

Last edited by SqueakyOnion; 2007-11-30 at 11:31 PM.
Old 2007-12-01, 12:14 AM   #4
beeper
5tr33t

Send a message via AIM to beeper Send a message via MSN to beeper
Why do you want a 12"? Is there anything more you would like to do? Why not get a 19" I didn't know they made 12"ers.
Old 2007-12-01, 12:15 AM   #5
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Those little wheels are not typically very strong, as they're made for half the weight of a small child (juvenile bikes). Why on Earth do you want a 12"? They're only good for comedy, or easier fitting into a suitcase. I knew a famous clown who used one for both, Alexander Frisch of the Moscow Circus. But on a 12" you'll have your pedals hitting the floor all the time, no speed, and lots of limitations.

To set one up to fit you, the easiest thing to do is hire someone to make you a super-long seatpost.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 12:25 AM   #6
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Aside from novelty, it'd be good for learning the basics if you are TERRIFIED of falling, and some tricks, like uni spins.

My progress was hampered because I was terrified of falling of my 24 while learning, so I got a 16", rode that, then a 20", then my 24. The 16 was also good for learning to ride backwards, SIF, & SIB. Also If I need to ge somewhere in a hurry I strap my 16" to my backpack (much more comfortable than my other unis) and ride my road b*ke, then practice skills wherever I'm at.

Like JF said you could break stuff, esp. if you hop on it a fair amount.

For learning it's best to use a long rail between waist and chest height on smooth pavement (a wall works too, but not as well) and just grab on if you are about to fall.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2007-12-01 at 12:32 AM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 12:48 AM   #7
SqueakyOnion

I don't need one for learning, I can already ride.

I was thinking of participating in Uninam and riding a 12".

Haha, seriously though, it was more a question of curiosity. Though I would like to own one, I wouldn't like to spend any significant amount of money for one (no more than $30 or $40). I know this isn't enough for one probably, I was just curious because I thought having one would be a hilarious gag for various situations. Novelty value, I suppose. Regardless, its pretty low on my list of unis to get. I'd get a KH29, coker, and giraffe first.

I guess I'm just a curious eccentric...but then again, I'm on a unicycle forum...I think we're all a bit eccentric.

Old 2007-12-01, 12:53 AM   #8
beeper
5tr33t

Send a message via AIM to beeper Send a message via MSN to beeper
[QUOTE=SqueakyOnion]I don't need one for learning, I can already ride.

I was thinking of participating in Uninam and riding a 12".

Haha, seriously though, it was more a question of curiosity. Though I would like to own one, I wouldn't like to spend any significant amount of money for one (no more than $30 or $40). I know this isn't enough for one probably, I was just curious because I thought having one would be a hilarious gag for various situations. Novelty value, I suppose. Regardless, its pretty low on my list of unis to get. I'd get a KH29, coker, and giraffe first.

I guess I'm just a curious eccentric...but then again, I'm on a unicycle forum...I think we're all a bit eccentric.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call it excentric. Unicyclists aren't everywhere we look. We just want somewhere to share our interests, therefore we are on a forum. If unicycling was as popular as skating, I doubt there would be as many people here. Sorry for the threadjack, now lets continue.
Old 2007-12-01, 01:09 AM   #9
SqueakyOnion

That's just my point: unicyclists are not everywhere we look. Thus making those that do ride, eccentric, at least to some degree.

ec·cen·tric
–adjective
1. deviating from the recognized or customary character, practice, etc.; irregular; erratic; peculiar; odd: eccentric conduct; an eccentric person.

Once or twice I've heard the word used in a negative connotation, but I liken that to people using "ignorant" as a general insult, not really knowing how to use the word properly.

Anywhoot.

Topic:related question: Would it be feasible to acquire a Sun 12" wheelset and cranks, and attach them to a 20" Sun frame?

That might solve the seatpost length problem.

Old 2007-12-01, 01:12 AM   #10
Unibugg

[QUOTE=beeper]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyOnion
I wouldn't call it excentric. Unicyclists aren't everywhere we look. We just want somewhere to share our interests, therefore we are on a forum. If unicycling was as popular as skating, I doubt there would be as many people here. Sorry for the threadjack, now lets continue.
Sorry for adding to the thread jack.. but this is a good point and just wanted to say that I absolutely agree.

For many of us this sport is lonely. And by staying connected to others who enjoy the sport it makes it a lot less isolated. Though mountains, rivers, oceans, and continents separate many of us we aren't so isolated here.

Ya.. I'm still riding alone.
Unibugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 01:17 AM   #11
SqueakyOnion

I guess I don't see how riding a unicycle isn't eccentric.

I agree about the great service this forum provides to us but fail to see how that related to anything I said, even less how that related to my use of the word eccentric, which seemed to be the catalyst...

I started unicycling on my own, and didn't even meet another unicyclist until I met up with the DFW unicycle group 2 weeks ago. Thanks forum, I owe ya one (or three).

Old 2007-12-01, 01:18 AM   #12
Unibugg

Quote:
That's just my point: unicyclists are not everywhere we look. Thus making those that do ride, eccentric, at least to some degree.
I don't take your comment negatively. Just that I disagree that unicyclists are eccentric just by the nature that they ride one wheel.

Yes.. there are eccentric unicyclists. And riding one wheel might not be "mainstream" in most places but I wouldn't call it eccentric.

Back to your topic.. I think 12" would be cause for too much frustration. Especially if you had big feet that hung off the pedals.
Then again... it would be really funny to watch.
Old 2007-12-01, 01:20 AM   #13
Unibugg

Quote:
I started unicycling on my own, and didn't even meet another unicyclist until I met up with the DFW unicycle group 2 weeks ago. Thanks forum, I owe ya one (or three).
As was with many of us. The great thing is now we have the internet. It didn't exist when I learned.
Old 2007-12-01, 01:53 PM   #14
Hazmat
Too insane to be considered human.

Quote:
You could contact Unicycle.com and ask them about the seatpost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper
Why do you want a 12"? Is there anything more you would like to do? Why not get a 19" I didn't know they made 12"ers.
Well here ares some nice looking 12" unicycles.

Can't wait till this game is finally released.

Last edited by Hazmat; 2007-12-01 at 01:54 PM.
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 06:40 PM   #15
henkka
Unicyclist

Quote:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=271 Just take that one in 700 mm long.
henkka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adultsdo, exist