Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-12-28, 08:53 AM   #31
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Starting unicycling makes use of new muscles for seating that need to be trained. The usual rule of thumbs applies: when it is painful you stop and let it heal before the next session. If it is very painful and doesn't go away, go and see a doctor.

Some tricks can decrease the discomfort (bike shorts, comfier saddle...) but in the end, it is like on a bike: you will get used to it

(small page dance... in case it is an on-topic spambot -- no offense Barbaramoore)

Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2015-12-28 at 08:54 AM.
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-30, 03:58 AM   #32
Chrashing
O>OO

Benefits of unicycling:
About 12 years ago (I was 49) I had a heart stress test. Dr said I have nothing wrong, but I need exercise. That's what lead me back to riding unicycles after about a 34 year hiatus. About 11 years later, at 60, had another stress test... The Dr actually repeatedly said "Wow, very good!" while he looked at the results. He seemed genuinely impressed with the improvement.

More recently had a EKG, the Dr looked at me with some surprise and said, these are results of an athlete. Me and athlete? In all my days, I never heard of such a thing.

Closer to topic, prior to picking up unicycling again, I did often get neck, and lower back aches from sitting at a desk. No longer.

Still love to ride that 36inch wheel.

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
26" inexpensive travel.
Chrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-16, 05:53 AM   #33
william007

unicycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsmeat View Post
I've had low back pain for years. Unicycling has been so effective at reducing it that even if I hated everything else about unicycling, I'd keep doing it just for the way it seems to be healing my back. Anyone else experienced this?
Hi-5.
I have faced experience of a similar sort. I had similar lower back pain which was due to an accident that happened two years before. It was a chiropractic treatment ( http://www.physiomed.ca/treatments/chiropractic/ ) at Physiomed in Toronto that helped me come out of this problem to an extent and Doc suggested to do exercise so that body won't be stiff. So I tried Unicycling that helped me overcome this problem to the fullest.
This is my story :-p
william007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 12:02 PM   #34
sukie47
One is enough

So glad to see a thread about the benefits and not the risks! I need that reminder right now. I've been in a boot for a month now and my body is getting really wacked out...my back in particular from the imbalance when walking (even though I am using a contraption called an "Evenup") and I am sitting A LOT. I am looking forward to getting my core reactivated when I am back on my uni. My core has never been so strong than when I am unicycling
Old 2016-06-17, 04:49 PM   #35
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Yeah, unicycling makes me feel good in a way that other types of exercise don't. I was mowing and doing some weed eating the other day (no small feat for the insane jungle that is my yard), and I wasn't feeling very good. I thought it was the heat, or maybe dehydration, or maybe I needed to eat something, but nothing really seemed to help. As a totally counter intuitive idea, I decided to go for a ride on the uni to see if I felt better. Well, I did! I came back a little tired, but I felt really good. I still don't get it. I was already tired and not feeling well after all that yard work. Going for a ride should have made me feel worse and finish me off, but it didn't. Probably has something to do with my state of mind, but whatever it was, I'll take it!
Old 2016-06-22, 06:04 AM   #36
loisdavid

Back pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsmeat View Post
I've had low back pain for years. Unicycling has been so effective at reducing it that even if I hated everything else about unicycling, I'd keep doing it just for the way it seems to be healing my back. Anyone else experienced this?
Hi Catsmeat, I was having severe back pain two years ago. I used to wake up daily with the terrible back pain (I'm a little obese). One of my friends suggested me to do unicycling as he got relief from his back pain by unicycling. I have tried it for almost two weeks, but my back pain became worse and it has spread over my lower back and over the groin area too. I feared that might cause varicocele and stopped unicycling. After that, I consulted AESM, Toronto and had physiotherapy treatment for my back pain. I got a LumbAir Back Support ( http://www.aesmphysiotherapytoronto....back-products/ ) too from there which helps to promote proper back posture to reduce strain. So I think unicycling may give relief from back pain for some people when it causes trouble for some others (like me).
loisdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-22, 10:45 AM   #37
sukie47
One is enough

I'll participate in a study. That way, I can tell my friends that are discouraging me from returning to the uni after breaking my foot that I have to ride... I have been placed in a study that requires that I ride my unicycle. that would be great. Now get off my back.
Old 2016-06-22, 05:29 PM   #38
Danny Colyer
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisdavid View Post
Hi Catsmeat, I was having severe back pain two years ago. I used to wake up daily with the terrible back pain (I'm a little obese). One of my friends suggested me to do unicycling as he got relief from his back pain by unicycling. I have tried it for almost two weeks, but my back pain became worse and it has spread over my lower back and over the groin area too. <snip> So I think unicycling may give relief from back pain for some people when it causes trouble for some others (like me).
You didn't try learning to ride while suffering from back pain, did you?

You really need to learn during a period when your back is not giving you pain. Once you've learnt, unicycling is a good exercise for warding off back pain. It's not so good during a period of pain.

All IME. My history of lower back pain started with a judo injury in 1994 (the same year that I learnt to ride), leading on to a suspected prolapsed disk in 1995. Since 1995 I've had another 4 (IIRC) experiences of being immobilised or nearly immobilised by back pain, the most recent being a couple of months ago. Between those times I've used a variety of core and flexibility exercises to keep my back mobilised and well supported by strong core muscles. Unicycling has been a valuable part of that exercise regime, but I wouldn't try to do it during the early stages of recovery from a back injury.

After the most recent occurrence, I missed hockey for the following 2 weeks, probably should have missed it on the third week and still had to take it fairly easy on the fourth. But now that I'm fully recovered (or as close to fully recovered as I ever will be), I'm quite sure that my weekly hockey sessions will help to put off the next occurrence.
Old 2016-06-22, 08:47 PM   #39
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisdavid View Post
One of my friends suggested me to do unicycling as he got relief from his back pain by unicycling. I have tried it for almost two weeks, but my back pain became worse and it has spread over my lower back and over the groin area too.
As above, learning with back pain seems a really bad idea. Personally whilst I expect riding does mostly help prevent back pain I've stopped riding and rested when my back was bad as I got the impression it was making it worse. Though I'm unusual (unique?) in that as I think I mentioned above my back pain was caused by unicycling - specifically riding my geared unicycle with handlebars (I thought it was just the added forces involved with a geared hub, but eventually determined it was mostly the handlebar position resulting in a more bent posture - though I'm sure the added loading didn't help). One other difference for me is that I've been regularly kayaking for years so got good core strength from that - riding a unicycle didn't necessarily help me much.
Old 2016-10-20, 02:01 PM   #40
BodySquare

YES! I've had lower back pain on and off for over 8 years and unicycling seems to be the best treatment

I think it's the combination of strengthening all the small muscles so the pressure on spine is reduced later when not unicycling, plus the movement of the spine moves fluid through the discs (as opposed to the fluid being squeezed out when sitting for hours).

I think if you don't have acute back pain, then unicycling is about the best thing for the back!

I unicycle at least once a week (usually commute 2-3 days) for my back (and it's fun too of course)!
BodySquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-22, 02:14 PM   #41
fynger
Unicyclist

This is a great thread to read.
fynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-23, 04:55 PM   #42
UPD
fail better.

Overdoing it gives me a little backache. Then that's when I know I have to rest for a couples days. Ironically, to get rid of that persistent ache, I have to get back on and ride, then it feels totally good again
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 07:22 PM   #43
Monette
Unicyclist

I am couple months from a bad UPD. Luckily nothing broke but greatly bruised my hip and lower back. The recovery is slow and can be retarded by riding too hard too soon. Pride will do that to you. Pace yourself. Your body will tell you when you are done. Quit then.
I almost never use over the counter for pain meds. I used a combination of stretch, ice and rest at first. Gradually add exercise to that constant routine.
I have steadily added more frequent and more challenging rides. I am proudly near pre-injury level today.
Monette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-26, 04:30 PM   #44
TEAL
Designer / Engineer

I've been unicycling for over 20 years but recently had an ACL injury from snowboarding. Besides the fun aspect of unicycling, I find it's also an awesome alternative to running. It's basically like running on a soft cloud at higher speeds while also being a solid core workout.

Besides... How else could I drink my coffee in the morning while "running"?
TEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-17, 12:41 PM   #45
57UniRider
Talent is really an ability to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAL View Post
...I find it's also an awesome alternative to running. It's basically like running on a soft cloud at higher speeds while also being a solid core workout.
Hello Teal
Would you say it is an aerobic workout like running?
It certainly is a workout for me, but I thought I was eventually supposed to get to where riding feels like a comfortable stroll. I have never gotten beyond the "breathing heavily" after about a mile (or before) stage.

Also... I looked up this post to read about back pain. Unicycling causes back pain for me. I am reminded now (getting back to riding after slacking off for a year or more) that possibly the main thing that caused me to slack off is back pain. Thank you to krjames for advice on how to work on this. Everytime I ride I try to think sit back. Don't lean forward, and try pushing the abdomen / belly forward. I'm hoping I can ride through the back pain issue now and get on with enjoying longer and longer rides. At my best, I was riding nonstop for about 45 minutes, but I'm having to work back up to that now. The back pain is in my way...even when I am pretty sure I'm sitting up straight.

Keeping on keeping on. Again.
57UniRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back, helping, pain, unicycling