Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-06-04, 10:08 PM   #1
zakakazakk
Unicyclist

Nimbus 32 oracle

Has anyone had a chance to ride the Oracle 32 inch yet? Thinking about getting it for my wife and need some review action!
zakakazakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-05, 06:33 AM   #2
Moron
Unicyclist

For What?

Not that I've actually ridden one, but it should be risk-free in terms of quality. The Oracle is proven, the Nightrider tire is proven, and even the 32" format has had enough early adopters who have tried it with good results that I think it's a safe bet, and probably a great choice for a smaller rider.

I think my question would be how she plans to use it. If you plan to both jump on a uni, you comfortable on a 36 and her comfortable on a 32, isn't she inherently about 10% slower than you, getting frustrated trying to keep up?

What's the natural speed difference between a 32 and a 36?
Moron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-05, 05:22 PM   #3
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
My fiancé got one recently to ride road with me. I'm working on a full review. Like he said, it's risk free, unless you're worried about the wheel size vs others in terms of speed
Old 2016-06-05, 05:47 PM   #4
bouin-bouin
Didier

I got mine and had a short 10km ride with it. Very easy to handle at 22km/h. Will ride it with shorter cranks than 125 to compare. One issue on my frame, I informed Roger, don't know if specific to my frame or common to whole production batch. I don't like the saddle, too babana shape and not compatible with KH T-bar
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Last edited by bouin-bouin; 2016-06-05 at 05:48 PM.
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 11:37 AM   #5
kamikaze
Stormrider

Send a message via ICQ to kamikaze Send a message via AIM to kamikaze Send a message via MSN to kamikaze Send a message via Yahoo to kamikaze Send a message via Skype™ to kamikaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moron View Post
What's the natural speed difference between a 32 and a 36?
The diameter/radius has a linear relationship with the circumference. So at the same cadence it's exactly 32:36, which means the 32" wheel reaches about 88.9% of the velocity of the 36" wheel.

That said, the difference is not as great as you might think. I found that my maximum cadence on the 36" is lower than on 26" so that the top speeds are not that different. I think I have a natural inhibition that keeps me from going much faster than I can run out of a UPD.

Join Unicyclemap.com!
----
[ Karlsruhe/Germany - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
----
onewheeldave: deep in my heart I feel that unicycling was born of heroes and atheletes, not clowns and entertainers
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 02:39 PM   #6
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
The diameter/radius has a linear relationship with the circumference. So at the same cadence it's exactly 32:36, which means the 32" wheel reaches about 88.9% of the velocity of the 36" wheel.

That said, the difference is not as great as you might think. I found that my maximum cadence on the 36" is lower than on 26" so that the top speeds are not that different. I think I have a natural inhibition that keeps me from going much faster than I can run out of a UPD.
and it dépends on crank length as well
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 03:57 PM   #7
Biped
Ischial Tuberitus

Great wheel size.

I built a 32" wheel and installed it in my 36" KH frame. So I don't actually have an oracle, but I do have the wheel.

I have to say, I absolutely love my 32. Compared to the 36 it is MUCH easier to mount. Right now I'm running 125mm cranks and I'm having no issues with various mounts, even when on a slight incline or gravel.

As was pointed out already, my cadence and confidence on the 32 is higher than the 36er so the top speed difference is nominal. In fact, even though I've been riding a 36er for about 4 years, I routinely set PRs on the 32 that were previously set on the 36.

One of my constant issues with the 36 is road camber... it tends to pull downhill. I have not had any issues with road camber on the 32.

Road camber was the main reason I went from a nimbus 36 tire to the Todd at least a couple of years ago.

I just did a 38 mile trail ride (XC, not single track) with 2400' of elevation (yesterday) and again, I set a PR on an 18 mile stretch of that ride.

I'm not sure I'll ever go back to the 36" wheel size. I'm not that good of a rider that I even benefit from the increased size.
Old 2016-06-08, 08:12 PM   #8
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped View Post
I have to say, I absolutely love my 32. Compared to the 36 it is MUCH easier to mount.
So would you say the 32" is better than the 36" because it is easier to mount and the 29" inch because it goes faster?

Yesterday I just changed the cranks to 150mm again on the 29". Had been riding with 127mm for several months, and even though it was slower, it made it super easy to mount.
Maybe when the time comes I will also buy the 32". Gotta have all wheel sizes right.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-09, 03:47 AM   #9
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

I'd like to add that I built up a 32" wheel for my 36er frame with a Kent wheel and the experience was nothing short of absolutely amazing.

I love the wheel size. It's nimble but has plenty of rollover ability.

I'm keeping mine through the season and if I still like it it'll be off to the powder coaters this winter to be cemented into my collection with a custom paint job.
Old 2016-06-09, 10:11 AM   #10
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Do you use it for a 36er muni replacement, or is it a road machine? (Or both?)
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-09, 12:45 PM   #11
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
I considered ordering a custom 32" frame for 100mm bearings, so that I could fit my Schlumpf in it one day.
But is there any good reason for having 32" frame instead of using 36" one?
Old 2016-06-09, 01:52 PM   #12
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Do you use it for a 36er muni replacement, or is it a road machine? (Or both?)
Muni.

Anymore the road is for my bike (sadly).
Old 2016-06-09, 03:09 PM   #13
LanceB
This space available

Quote:
Originally Posted by vookash View Post
I considered ordering a custom 32" frame for 100mm bearings, so that I could fit my Schlumpf in it one day.
But is there any good reason for having 32" frame instead of using 36" one?
A 32" frame would be better if one happened to be a little too short for a 36'r, since the frame legs are slightly shorter.
I have my 32" wheel in a KH36 frame, and the only ones that notice the mis-match are the experienced riders. It's an older frame with Magura mounts, so I had to make adapters to make the brake pads meet the rim properly.
I like it and ride it all the time. Road riding only. (I rode it XC once, on Rob's Ride, but that was the only time.)
How it compares to a 36" for speed is kind of subjective. I'm a slow rider, so I tend to lag behind no matter what (even fast riders on smaller wheels are faster than me). I have a Schlumpf hub, so I can speed up if I want, and I can keep up with a slow-to-moderate-speed bike (i.e., my wife) on the flats. But when I ride with my friend Tim Lovasen with his 36", he kindly waits for me. But he's a pretty strong rider. So I think it really depends on the individual. If you run shorts cranks and have a fast cadence, you'll keep up with most 36'rs, IMHO. (And I think this size makes a very good candidate for a geared hub.)

Overall I think its main benefit is the handling and maneuverability, compared to the 36". I think it's similar to the 29" in this regard.

Cheers!

Last edited by LanceB; 2016-06-09 at 03:11 PM.
LanceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-09, 07:21 PM   #14
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
The biggest reason for me to have 32" is that I have uni wardrobe and it is not deep enough for 36", but it should fit 32"

Last edited by vookash; 2016-06-09 at 07:21 PM.
vookash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-09, 09:10 PM   #15
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthr...57#post1670057 A quick review.

Here's a size comparison video I made. I was going to put the review itself in the video too.... but as you can see I don't own good video equipment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJN...ature=youtu.be

Tags
nimbus, oracle