Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-01-11, 08:20 PM   #406
William393
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
The guesstimates you suggest would be a very scientific approach. The Russian hacking allegations are never made in that spirit, but more in the spirit of war propaganda. Arriving at those guesstimates would also lead to discussion of the content of the leaked emails, which has always been carefully avoided by everyone who points a finger at Putin.

One of the emails showed that Hillary knew ISIS is supported by the Qatari and Saudi royal families, rather than just rogue elements within those families, and another revealed that a member of Qatar's royal family had donated $1 million to the Clinton Foundation in return for a five-minute meeting with Bill. Plus there's the email I mentioned earlier that shows Obama's cabinet seemingly being chosen mostly by Citibank.

It would indeed be interesting to know how much impact these revelations had on voters, though my guess would be that it was close to zero. All of this stuff was reported rather quietly, and a lot of the people who knew about it probably had already reached the understanding that America's two capitalist parties of racism and war do not represent them, so they didn't vote.

American voters do understand and remember some things, though. Apparently Obama won Indiana in 2008 by running on opposition to NAFTA and the Iraq War. As president, he didn't stop either one of these crimes, and now Hillary, who never even pretended to oppose them, lost Indiana to Trump. Not too surprising.

Julian Assange, who doesn't normally comment on the identity of his sources, said that the leaked emails did not come from the Russian government or any other “state actor,” and his record for honesty is a hell of a lot better than the CIA's, so my inclination is to think that he's probably telling the truth.

Anyway, no, no FB for me!
Julian Assange does not investigate his sources' sources' sources the way the FBI/CIA does, and I believe he was fooled by Russia.
The problem with the over-familiar, cliché-prone way of describing things, according to Alain de Botton: “Clichés are detrimental in so far as they inspire us to believe that they adequately describe a situation while merely grazing at its surface.”
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-11, 10:26 PM   #407
song
Unicyclist

It's possible that Russian spies fooled Assange, but not even the mighty NSA has offered any proof of that. Either way, the revelations contained in those emails deserve to be shared widely, and whoever released them has committed an act of public service.

What surprises me about this whole story is Trump's ridiculing of the intelligence agencies. No US president that I know of has ever dared to criticize them, let alone ridicule them.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-13, 07:15 PM   #408
William393
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
It's possible that Russian spies fooled Assange, but not even the mighty NSA has offered any proof of that. Either way, the revelations contained in those emails deserve to be shared widely, and whoever released them has committed an act of public service.

What surprises me about this whole story is Trump's ridiculing of the intelligence agencies. No US president that I know of has ever dared to criticize them, let alone ridicule them.
Some of that proof is too secret information.

Yes. Trump does things that don't seem too thoughtful.
The problem with the over-familiar, cliché-prone way of describing things, according to Alain de Botton: “Clichés are detrimental in so far as they inspire us to believe that they adequately describe a situation while merely grazing at its surface.”
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 06:03 AM   #409
feel the light
level 1 fat guy

Trump dissing the CIA

Good for him. Trust in the CIA is the republican flag waving thing to say, and do. Trump trashed those RNC bought republicans.

I strongly suspect that Trump knows who to talk to in Russia (Putin), to find out who to pay to get knowledge of Russian hacking. Neither Trump nor Putin trust their own party flacks, that have infected the CIA and the KGB. I like that they seem to respect each other, as if they both realise their success will depend on working together in a confidential manner.
feel the light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 01:27 PM   #410
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by feel the light View Post
Trust in the CIA is the republican flag waving thing to say, and do.
The CIA was founded by the Democratic administration of Harry Truman, though. He also did Hiroshima and Nagasaki, plus the Korean War, which killed 3 million more people.

I liked the video you posted the other day of those Western motorcycle dudes lamenting China's lack of proper reverence for “intellectual property.” They also seemed upset by the conversion of a church into an art gallery.

The city of Beijing has been adding more than one new subway line per year since 2008. When I tried to research this phenomenon, I found out that the same thing has been happening in Shanghai, Guangzhou and probably a bunch of other Chinese cities. Shanghai also now has the world's first publicly used magnetic levitation train. It reaches speeds of 300 miles an hour while taking people to the airport!

New York City, on the other hand, recently completed a small part of a subway expansion project that was originally approved about 90 years ago, opening three new stations on the Upper East Side. In addition to the new station opened last year on 34th Street, this has been the only expansion of the NYC subway in over 65 years, and was such a big deal that the opening ceremony was attended by people from the White House!

Trump: “We can't continue to allow China to rape our country.”

Last edited by song; 2017-01-14 at 01:50 PM.
Old 2017-01-15, 05:02 AM   #411
feel the light
level 1 fat guy

current USA train tech is 100 years old

I have a glimpse of the future. A stainless steel tube running from NY to the windy city. Elevated 20 ft. The train will be sealed and pressurised, like modern jets. The purpose of the elevated track and the tube is both to protect the train, and to allow a vacuum to be created in the tube. With mag lev tech, shooting down a tube with almost no air drag, speeds for the train should be able to exceed 1000 MPH, perhaps more.

That will make America great again.
Old 2017-01-15, 06:32 AM   #412
song
Unicyclist

Yeah, I've heard that a maglev train running in a vacuum tunnel could reach incredible speeds. The Amtrak from NYC to Chicago is a different story, though. It takes between 19 and 28 hours, and that's only if it's not delayed by stopping for repairs, for refueling and for raids by the Border Patrol or other police forces. Amtrak also has to pull over to let commuter and freight trains pass because it doesn't have any track of its own, except for a couple hundred miles somewhere in Michigan. The Amtrak driver who told me this also told me that the tracks often do not have the banked curves needed for high- or medium-speed travel, as they would cause heavily loaded freight trains to tip over.

I once looked up train schedules for Beijing to Shanghai, which is roughly the same distance as NYC to Chicago: 5.5 hours, and trains leave every half hour, starting at 7:00am. High-speed rail would undoubtedly be a way to "make America great again," but even Amtrak's ancient diesel-powered trains would be OK if they had their own tracks to run on.
Old 2017-01-15, 05:29 PM   #413
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

The most recent news coverage about transportation issues in the U.S. is whether or not a trillion dollars will be spent making all the roads compatible with self driving cars. This technology is essentially a band-aid, a shiny, radar-reflecting band-aid placed on top of the gaping wound (our crumbling infrastructure). If we spent the money fixing the bridges, instead, that would be better, but it would still be affirming of a car-centric transportation system. Several years ago, a ballot initiative was passed, providing funding for a high speed rail system in California. It is currently behind schedule and projected over budget. I never hear it mentioned any more on the news, and people only talk about it as an example of how the government can't do anything right.

The best use of transportation money, to my knowledge, is expanded bus coverage in urban areas, combined with the renovation of certain streets as bus corridors with dedicated bus lanes, stops and synchronized traffic signals. And, maybe, as well, making the bus service free...
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-15, 06:48 PM   #414
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Several years ago, a ballot initiative was passed, providing funding for a high speed rail system in California. It is currently behind schedule and projected over budget. I never hear it mentioned any more on the news, and people only talk about it as an example of how the government can't do anything right.
I think that accounting science needs to progress.
There is a continuing debate in France about high speed trains. If you match the investment to the revenues there is a loss (most of the time) but cities (and businees linked to cities) are very fond of it, because it brings a lot of dynamic to travel. So (may be) there may be benefits that are not accounted for if you just match by comparing with ticket prices. That's why the real benefits and expenses should be evaluated with a more broad perspective ... But, in fact, nobody knows how to add the numbers!
I love traveling with high speed trains!
Old 2017-01-16, 09:25 PM   #415
feel the light
level 1 fat guy

Miami to Disney!

My idea of a vacuum tube mag lev train (not really my idea) ,is unproven, but has a definite wizz bang, oh my gosh, we got off the plane in Miami 20 minutes ago and now we are in Orlando value. Not unlike Disney world. People will pay to have their minds blown. That is as valid an economic model as Disney world itself.
Old 2017-01-16, 10:03 PM   #416
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
There is a continuing debate in France about high speed trains. If you match the investment to the revenues there is a loss (most of the time) but cities (and businees linked to cities) are very fond of it, because it brings a lot of dynamic to travel.

... But, in fact, nobody knows how to add the numbers!
Rather than lack of knowledge, I think it is lack of acknowledging reality. Governments are averse to math, just as Donald Trump and his team are averse to facts. Those things are bad for each organization.

In the case of the High Speed Rail project for California, projected costs keep going up, even though nothing has been built yet. So why should we believe those numbers? These things always tend to balloon out of control before the projects are finished. So while I love the idea of such a train in CA, it will never come even a little bit close to paying for itself. Still, I think Gov. Jerry Brown still hopes to get a foot in the door by connecting Fresno with another non-major city. If they get a useless piece built, it is expected to create momentum to connect that to the actual big cities...
Quote:
Originally Posted by feel the light View Post
My idea of a vacuum tube mag lev train (not really my idea) ,is unproven, but has a definite wizz bang, oh my gosh, we got off the plane in Miami 20 minutes ago and now we are in Orlando value. Not unlike Disney world. People will pay to have their minds blown.
That's probably true. What it needs is someone to build one for demo purposes. Disney has a lot of money; they should build one around the perimeter of their vast Florida empire! Sounds like the expensive part would be building all of that tunnel. It would have to be very rigid, like an airplane fuselage (in reverse) to handle the pressure. Then you would need all the infrastructure to keep the access points sealed, i.e. when the trains enter and exit the stations. The rest would probably be the cheap part...

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sanders, tomorrow, trump, vote