Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-29, 11:26 AM   #301
Smilymarco
just call me similymarco

Send a message via ICQ to Smilymarco Send a message via MSN to Smilymarco
Soooooooooo...

I rode the Expert-DH Track at Unicon with the Baron (first real ride with it haha).

It's AMAZING! I really love the tire. For DH use its far superior to the Queen and any other tire i used till now.
Old 2012-07-29, 09:46 PM   #302
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
how wide is it?
Old 2012-07-30, 02:58 PM   #303
Smilymarco
just call me similymarco

Send a message via ICQ to Smilymarco Send a message via MSN to Smilymarco
It says 2.5 on the tire but it feels wider... i need to measure it
Old 2013-05-23, 06:45 PM   #304
Jacob Young
Indecisive Municyclist

To all you Nokian fans...

Don't get conned! Make sure your next uni is "Gazz safe registered"

Couldn't help myself...
(only riders from the UK will get this though)

Things are easy, apart from when they aren't
Jacob Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 09:30 AM   #305
shameless Zoologist

Send a message via ICQ to shameless Zoologist
Smile

I agree with Smilymartso I also used these tires feel superior, traction chic.
Old 2013-07-12, 03:55 AM   #306
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Just picked up a new tire:

Shwalbe Hans Dampf Super Gravity 650b x 2.35

I have not mounted it yet, still waiting on my rim to arrive, but at first look I was thinking "whoa!" it's waaay more burly than a regular Hans.

Weight was spot on as advertised at 1040gms.

The "promotional literature" calls this tire a DH sidewall with a freeride center. Essentially, it's a twin ply sidewall like a DH tire, snakeskin wraps the entire casing, then the center is like the regular Hans with a little extra thickness.

I think this tire is a candidate for low pressure tubeless

This tire also comes in a 26", but sadly not in a 29"

More to follow once I get the new wheel built...

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2013-07-12 at 03:57 AM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 07:50 PM   #307
jcbgrnr
Unicyclist

I'm looking into buying a new tire for my 26" mountain uni, which currently has a Duro Wildlife Leopard. I would like to get a tire that is capable of doing technical riding but is also lighter. Anyone have some ideas about what I should get?

Last edited by jcbgrnr; 2013-08-06 at 07:52 PM.
jcbgrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 08:04 PM   #308
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
I'm looking into buying a new tire for my 26" mountain uni, which currently has a Duro Wildlife Leopard. I would like to get a tire that is capable of doing technical riding but is also lighter. Anyone have some ideas about what I should get?
Take a look at the Schwalbe Super Gravity Series, all four of which come as a 26", width is ~2.4", saves you about 500gm over the Duro. Get the Trailstar rubber and it'll be nice and sticky! I ride the Hans Damph SG Trailstar.

http://www.schwalbe.com/supergravity/en/#&panel1-1

You could also step down to an Arrow Racing Savage 2.6, which would be like a Duro jr, saves you about 250gm, ride is similar, same pattern and rubber as the Duro.

If you go any lighter, say an Ardent or regular Hans Dampf, you won't get the support or traction you are used to getting from the Duro.

If you're willing to wait until next Spring, Surly is releasing a 26 x 3" flotation tire, it's probably be around the weight of a 29" Knard, not as sticky as your Duro, probably not as burly, but it'll be cushy and lots of fun
Old 2013-08-06, 08:04 PM   #309
davidp
Unicyclist

Surly has a 2.75" tire called the Dirt Wizard coming but judging by the Knard released this year it could be Spring before they are available. I've been happy with the Continental Trail King (aka Rubber Queen) 2.4 which measures 2.6" and weighs 950g.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 08:11 PM   #310
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Tire Update: Scwalbe Hans Dampf Super Gravity 650b:

I've been riding this tire for a month or so, made it tubeless a few weeks back, running it on a 650b Velocity P35 (35mm) rim, no problems with sidewall collapse, traction is awesome with the Trailstar rubber.

Compared to the regular Hans Dampf, this tire is a beast, waaay stiffer, waaay stickier, and has the same awesome ride and super mud traction.

The 650b Hans Dampf is ~ inch taller than a Duro 26 x 3" and ~ inch shorter than a Hans Dampf 29 x 2.35".

It does have a firmer feel than the HD due to the thicker casing and additional rubber, but I can run lower pressures and tubeless, so it ends up riding better than the regular HD.

It weighed in at 1040gm, so ~200gm heavier than the regular HD, but as a tubeless it is about the same weight as a tubed HD.

Great tire, worth the coin to upgrade.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2013-08-06 at 08:15 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 01:30 AM   #311
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbgrnr View Post
I haven't had a ride with a Duro for a while so it will be difficult to make a direct comparison but...

if you want to go lighter, you have the Specialized Purgatory UST 26x2.4 (ETRTO 60-559).
It is under 800g (mine weighted about 780g) so half the weight of the Duro. Because it is a tubeless ready tire, the sidewalls are stiffer than average (but still foldable where the Duro isn't). With a tube, I found it a solid performer with an amazing weight gain.

I am running it on a Large Marge so it is harder to fit than the usual rim but it works great and you feel the difference in nimbleness without compromising in support or grip (modern rubber is wonderful).

That was my 2 cents

Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2013-08-07 at 01:33 AM.
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 02:16 AM   #312
jcbgrnr
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
if you want to go lighter, you have the Specialized Purgatory UST 26x2.4 (ETRTO 60-559).
I couldn't find anywhere that sold the Specialized Purgatory UST 26x2.4 online. I could only really find the 2.3 inch version of it. Where did you buy yours?

edit: nevermind, I found it here http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...rgatorygridust

Last edited by jcbgrnr; 2013-08-07 at 02:22 AM.
jcbgrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 01:57 PM   #313
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
I got a 2.5'clutch and it's quite good also
Old 2013-08-08, 01:59 AM   #314
muni tasmania
| www.municycle.com.au |

Im following Bens lead! Hes really on to something

I have a 26 Hans Dampf Super Gravity going tubeless for Guni on a 35mm (ish) wide Mtb rim

And a regular 29" Hans on a XC Muni for light weight on a 25mm XC rim. Taking a risk here for less weight im losing much strength and half the width of a KH rim... Should be ok for flowing XC and climbs.

Tyre pressures are a big factor in performance i found. My XC will roll fast with light weight and limited grip.

The Super Gravity i can let down a little more and enjoy the grip and both being tubeless there is to flats or snake bites going to be a common issue ruining my rides specially in Mtb events.

Schwalbe will release 29" Super Grav tyres at around end of the year when the 2014's are available.... Cant wait!!!!
muni tasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 06:29 PM   #315
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

I have been running low pressures in my HD Super Gravity, 15psi or so, which is quite low for my weight (200#) esp when you consider it's a 2.35".

Whenever I pull it out to ride, I'll check the pressure with a hand squeeze and invariabley it'll seem to low, so I have to temper the urge to add air

The stickier rubber is also really nice, it grabs rocks and roots better, esp when wet; it has been a very wet Summer.

No complaints, I have not been getting any squirts, good traction, weight is far less than any DH tire, pretty much the perfect tire for me. I could see getting a Super Gravity with a lower profile tread for areas that get less rain or a deeper tread for areas that get more rain.

Tags
muni, official, page, review, tyre