Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-06-26, 06:26 PM   #1
m00ms
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 36
nimbus hatchet rim

hi all,

i am looking to build a nimbus hatchet, buying a frame and hub from here in the uk with the hub being a 36 hole.

i see there is many more rim options using an american 32 hole hub but as mine will be a uk 36 hole hub i am not finding too many to choose from.

i have managed to find cheap a weinmann HL80 26 inch rim but can i ask if anyone can recommend any other rims that are 36 hole.

possibly i might use either 26 or 27.5 inch rims on my build so any help or rim sugestions would be most helpful.
m00ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-26, 08:00 PM   #2
DrD
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 50
Hi

I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing a few weeks ago (UDC UK had Hatchet frames but no complete hatchet unicycle at that time) and I spent a bit of time looking for 36 hole rims. Things seem to have definitely moved to 32 hole.

I ended up on St John Street Cycles website, where they have a bit of choice of 36 hole rims for both 26" and 650B. I didn't look at what widths of tyres you'd get away with on any of these rims.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-26-559/?holes=36
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-650b-275-584/?holes=36

There are some Mavic and DT-Swiss rims there and stuff at various price points. Interestingly I spoke to a guy from DT-Swiss on a trade stand at the Fort William MTB World Cup Downhill at the beginning of June and he said they didn't do any 36 hole rims. In the end I was thinking that I might just go with a Dominator 2 rim.

I haven't actually done anything about this yet, I stalled on it when I saw they had fully built Hatchets in stock, but I didn't really want to spend that amount of money.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-26, 08:38 PM   #3
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Glasgow
Age: 50
Posts: 25
I’ve been looking at exactly the same and couldn’t find an alternative to the Nimbus rim that seemed worth deviating from unicycle specific components.
So, I got the Nimbus rim and 125 cromo hub, got Sapim strong 2.3-2.0 spokes and laced the wheel last weekend.
Worked a dream, very easy to build a well dished wheel (for a fat rim).
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 06:04 AM   #4
m00ms
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 36
Thanks DRD for the links which I will have a better look at later.buying a full hatchet sure is a lot of money but hopefully by building it I can save a little and I enjoy building my unicycles.

Hi tinkerbeau that’s great to hear you did what I’m hoping to do,did you go for 26 inch 36 hole nimbus dominator plus rim then and where did you get that from as unicycle.com have frame and hub 36 hole but no fat rims ?
m00ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 06:04 AM   #5
kunstrasen
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jüchen, Germany
Age: 50
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ms View Post
hi all,

i am looking to build a nimbus hatchet, buying a frame and hub from here in the uk with the hub being a 36 hole....
How about buying a 32H hub and get the full choice of rims? As long as you are still in the EU, buying in Germany is as easy as buying in the UK for you. Just a few days longer delivery.

https://www.einradladen.com/Nabe-Nim...-32-Loch-125mm
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 07:55 AM   #6
Aali
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
The unicycle world should definitely move on to 32H hubs. I favor Q-Axle and there are no 32H hubs at all available. I also have a Hatchet and could replace the original 26-inch 36H ISIS wheel with a Q-Axle alternative but QU-AX does not produce 125mm-wide hubs either...
Aali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 08:34 AM   #7
Piece Maker
Unicyclist
 
Piece Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,691
Depending how much you're willing to spend, there are fat carbon rims at www.lightbicycle.com that give you a choice of hole counts - I think there are a few people who have built these into Hatchets to good effect but they do cost quite a bit more than an aluminium rim!
__________________
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 09:05 AM   #8
DrD
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Depending how much you're willing to spend, there are fat carbon rims at www.lightbicycle.com that give you a choice of hole counts - I think there are a few people who have built these into Hatchets to good effect but they do cost quite a bit more than an aluminium rim!
I initially started off with the notion to build with a carbon rim, just for the sake of it really, and looked at the LightBicycle rims (after seeing Ali Clarkson's YouTube wheelbuild video using them) but thought I'd need to get a custom drilling for 36h. I saw that you had built a wheel with a carbon rim and was going to ask you what you had done. I'll maybe look at this again now, thanks.

I did wonder about just going the 32h route but thought that there was probably a good reason why there weren't many 32h unicycle hubs... I'm sure a 32 spoke wheel would be more than strong enough for me but it was just one of those doubts that lead to further procrastination (and thinking that sticking with a Dominator rim was probably the safe bet).
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 09:22 AM   #9
Aali
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
A good motivation for 32H rims would be the possibility to purchase good quality tubeless rims that are easy to set up with a tubeless tyre. The Hatchet original rim is a pain in that regard.
Aali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 08:47 PM   #10
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Glasgow
Age: 50
Posts: 25
Dominator rim

As Kunstrasen said, I too got the rim from Einradladen and postage was very reasonable for something that size from Germany to the U.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ms View Post
Thanks DRD for the links which I will have a better look at later.buying a full hatchet sure is a lot of money but hopefully by building it I can save a little and I enjoy building my unicycles.

Hi tinkerbeau that’s great to hear you did what I’m hoping to do,did you go for 26 inch 36 hole nimbus dominator plus rim then and where did you get that from as unicycle.com have frame and hub 36 hole but no fat rims ?
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 09:13 PM   #11
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Glasgow
Age: 50
Posts: 25
Hatchet tubeless

Has anybody got experience with the tubeless setup on this rim?
I asked unicycle.com US about it, who Roger from UDC UK thought knew about that, but they suggested 32 hole rims ?!?

I have the wheel built up but am away on holiday now (with a conventional 26 uni in my suitcase) and will try to set it up ghetto with a 24 split inner tube when I return. Would be nice to hear of any experience beforehand as the rim definitely doesn’t look anywhere near tubeless ready and will probably need padding up to help seat the bead.

How did you manage it, Aali, even if “a pain”?
I totally agree that a 26 fat rim these days should be tubeless ready.
The only alternative I know of, the Weinmans, are also not. I had them on my fat bike and replaced for DT Swiss rims (32H).

Having said that, the Dominator is of course a perfect match for the Nimbus fat hub; the offsets are alike so that the whee isl symmetrically laced.
I got on very well with 254 mm spokes on both sides.

In hindsight, though, I wish I had bought the 125 Nimbus hub in the 32H version so that it fits ‘proper’ fat rims ... i might still do that if I can’t set it up tubeless ... and find out if 32H is strong enough for my 100kg.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aali View Post
A good motivation for 32H rims would be the possibility to purchase good quality tubeless rims that are easy to set up with a tubeless tyre. The Hatchet original rim is a pain in that regard.
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 10:21 PM   #12
Piece Maker
Unicyclist
 
Piece Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
I initially started off with the notion to build with a carbon rim, just for the sake of it really, and looked at the LightBicycle rims (after seeing Ali Clarkson's YouTube wheelbuild video using them) but thought I'd need to get a custom drilling for 36h. I saw that you had built a wheel with a carbon rim and was going to ask you what you had done. I'll maybe look at this again now, thanks.
If you drop them an e-mail with a rim from their website and ask for it with 36 holes, chances are they'll do it, or at least recommend one they can do 36 holes in, but it looks like at least some of their fatty rims can be bought right off the site with 36. Mine was off the shelf and didn't have anything custom about it, but they did ask me if I needed the holes offset in a specific way or anything like that (I mentioned using it with a disk brake, but as Schlumpfs need the EDB style rather than hub-mounted there was no dishing) so presumably a different number of holes isn't out of the question!
__________________
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-28, 08:15 AM   #13
DrD
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
If you drop them an e-mail with a rim from their website and ask for it with 36 holes, chances are they'll do it, or at least recommend one they can do 36 holes in, but it looks like at least some of their fatty rims can be bought right off the site with 36. Mine was off the shelf and didn't have anything custom about it, but they did ask me if I needed the holes offset in a specific way or anything like that (I mentioned using it with a disk brake, but as Schlumpfs need the EDB style rather than hub-mounted there was no dishing) so presumably a different number of holes isn't out of the question!
Thanks for that, I appreciate the advice.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-30, 12:10 PM   #14
m00ms
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 36
hi all,

thanks for all your help and links,i am just adding up costs and wether to order just hub 32 holes from germany and then frame and few other bits from the uk or just do all from germany.my frame,hub,seat and brake mount comes in 13 pounds cheaper all from germany.

ive not decided fully yet on which rim but currently thinking of using a dt swiss br710 26 inch 80mm 32 hole, is that a good choice or any recomendations ?

thanks again
m00ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-30, 05:30 PM   #15
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Glasgow
Age: 50
Posts: 25
I can only report my experience with the DT Swiss rim for a normal fat bike.
It was easy to lace into a straight wheel, and it seats tubeless tyres really easy. I’ve used both Maxxis Mammoth 4.0 and On One Floater and can get them to seat with no problem at all. I also run the Holy Rolling Darryl, which I thinks doesn’t seat the beads quite as easily but, with what looks like less drastic cutouts, maybe it is a bit more durable for unicycle use?
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hatchet, nimbus, rim


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nimbus Hatchet - Which rim/tire size would you build? Unisomniac General Unicycling Discussions 43 2019-07-17 09:14 PM
Nimbus Hatchet questions 57UniRider General Unicycling Discussions 48 2019-05-25 06:42 PM
Nimbus Hatchet MUni UniMyra Unicycling Videos 3 2016-07-07 02:47 AM
Nimbus Hatchet MuniAddict Unicycling Videos 0 2016-05-18 11:39 PM
24 nimbus dominator 2 rim vs kh 47mm rim Capdoogie General Unicycling Discussions 1 2015-06-12 06:21 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
Page generated in 0.08364 seconds with 12 queries