Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-07-30, 08:37 AM   #31
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ms View Post
Apart from a clicking shimano saint pedal (brought secondhand)
Saint pedals use 24 very tiny 3/32" loose balls in each pedal. Very easy to lose on disassembly and they are hard to get.

I have just ordered balls from the USA for my two pairs of Saints. The shipping cost to Australia was double the base price of 100 ordinary chrome steel balls so I decided to try out a set Silicon Nitride balls as well. They are far more resistant to wear and much lower friction than steel.

It will be interesting to see how they stand up to the shock of the pedal hitting the road.
Old 2019-07-30, 11:42 AM   #32
m00ms
Unicyclist

That’s interesting to hear that’s the size of the bearings incase I need new bearings when I pull them apart.ive serviced many pedals over the years and have little trays for pulling pedals apart so hopefully il catch them all!

Pedals were only cheap so if I trash them then il get something else.

Just looked on eBay and 3/32 loose bearings are readily available

Last edited by m00ms; 2019-07-30 at 11:45 AM.
m00ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-30, 12:09 PM   #33
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Just looked on eBay and 3/32 loose bearings are readily available
Yes. I found them easily on eBay but in the USA.

Had no luck locating them in Australia.
Old 2019-08-02, 10:47 AM   #34
Aali
Unicyclist

I can confirm that 3/32 bearing balls are not easily available, I asked from a couple of Shimano official bike repair shops and they did not have them although many Shimano pedals indeed use them. Had to order them online. This was a couple of years ago.
Aali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-04, 06:43 PM   #35
DrD
Unicyclist

Quote:
Hi drd did your frame come with the stickers in an envelope? Yes stickers were red but as they weren’t on the frame I got them re made in yellow when I saw the quax eleven saddle,hopefully I have not overdone the yellow theme!
The frame came with the stickers attached, it is funny that your's didn't -- I wonder if there is any connection with that and the brake caliper problem you had (eg. they didn't put the stickers on frames with an issue).

Quote:
That’s a shame you have not had time to build yours yet but I hope you get round to it soon.
I'll need to get around to ordering some bits. Lack of time is pretty much normal and just a way of life it seems

With respect to pedals I've taken a bit of a thing for Hope F20 ones so I'll probably put a pair of them on the Hatchet. I've got a pair on my 29'er muni and 29'er mountain bike -- bought first for the unicycle since they are machined from solid and the end of the pedal axle is within the pedal body so I figured they could take a bit of a beating with dropping them etc. I liked them so much on the uni that I bought a pair for the bike. The grip with a pair of 5.10s is very good. Hope also do a service kit for them with new cartridge bearings and seals should that be needed. The downside is the price, but I like Hope stuff.... (and I essentially got the first pair free with Tesco vouchers which pleased me very much at the time!)

So building up the Hatchet will probably end up costing me quite a bit more than buying a whole one, but that wasn't the point. I'll just buy the parts over some time and build it up -- I like doing that; I get the fun building it, then riding it, and end up with something built just the way I want it using nice stuff -- or at least that is the plan

I only really started thinking of a fat uni when I saw UniMart's YouTube video and it looked a whole load of fun rolling over things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub5R6Oa_YB4
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-04, 09:50 PM   #36
m00ms
Unicyclist

hi drd,

i did wonder if stickers not being stuck on was due to other issues which was why i asked the question of you and your thinking the same as me makes me wonder if i have been supplied a sub quality frame.can i ask where your frame came from? mine was from unicycle.com.

your pedals sure are pricey but like you i enjoy building and having something different to an out of the box unicycle which makes it feel great so whats a little endulgance!

i was not really aware of fat unis until i saw one on ebay for sale and thought that wicked,i cant stand fat bikes but for whatever reason do like uni!

i did watch many hatchet videos on youtube but didnt come across yours,they sure are having a lot of fun on theres.sadly i do not now anyone local to me that rides unicycles as all my biking friends think one wheel is crazy.

Last edited by m00ms; 2019-08-04 at 09:50 PM.
Old 2019-08-04, 11:52 PM   #37
DrD
Unicyclist

Hi m00ms

I got the frame from UDC here in the UK, it looks absolutely fine, but then you only probably noticed an issue with your one when you mounted your brake.

Yes, it is a complete and utter indulgence, not just the pedals, the whole thing... That said, I've found there are definite physical and mental health benefits to this unicycle thing, and many indulgences are perhaps not quite so 'wholesome' Like you the whole thing gives me enjoyment and can be a distraction from other stuff going on in the world.

I don't have any desire for a fat bike either, the first I was aware of fat tyred cycles was actually a fat recumbent trike that ICE did a few years ago. Then again, I didn't have any desire for a fat unicycle until a few months ago!
Old 2019-08-05, 03:19 PM   #38
m00ms
Unicyclist

hi drd,

lets hope that you dont have troubles with yours when you get to bulid it,my brake is fine now as it would appear that the IS mount is ever so slightly off where it should be,i am a little disapointed if the frame quality is slightly off but the frame looks great in everyway now so i quess i will never know.

your right the whole thing is an endulgence and currently mine is hanging up on a bike stand and it makes me chuckle when i look at it or spin the wheel! have you decide on rim,hub yet? if you do go the dt dwiss 710 route i will pass on tips i found with building mine if you want.

i hope to ride mine very soon as i have serviced and repalaced the pedal bearings now,the pedal is super smooth although it still made a tiny click so i have put the pedal on my mtb so i can go and get some miles in on the pedal tomorrow to see if that helps settle it or i will have to get some other for it.
Old 2019-08-05, 08:55 PM   #39
DrD
Unicyclist

Quote:
your right the whole thing is an endulgence and currently mine is hanging up on a bike stand and it makes me chuckle when i look at it or spin the wheel!
That's the sort of enjoyment you get from a piece of art

Quote:
have you decide on rim,hub yet? if you do go the dt dwiss 710 route i will pass on tips i found with building mine if you want.
Well I decided I would go the 32 hole route with a LightBicycle fat carbon rim and run it tubeless. I've ordered the hub -- it is coming from UDC in the US as these things seem to be like hen's teeth and it was the only place that I could find them. I haven't ordered the rim yet as I have been away and seem to have been haemorrhaging money into other things, so a carbon rim extravagance can wait a while. Given the rim is a standard bike part that hopefully won't be an issue.

Any tips you have for building a fat wheel would be appreciated, it has been a while since I last built a wheel.
Old 2019-08-09, 03:28 PM   #40
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post

Any tips you have for building a fat wheel would be appreciated, it has been a while since I last built a wheel.
Not sure about the difference between a skinny vs. fatty rim, but the difference between building a carbon vs. ali rim is pretty weird. It'll spoke up perfectly and look true without even trying, but all your spokes will be tensioned weird, so you have to de-stress it (put the rim on a surface and put weight on the hub, or the other way round, turn it over and do it again from the other side) THEN true it a second time. Carbon does NOT like unevenly tensioned spokes at all!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-09, 09:55 PM   #41
DrD
Unicyclist

Thanks for that, it will be interesting to see how it goes, I'll certainly learn something doing it (even if it is just not to do it again! ). Given what you say, it might be worth me getting a spoke tension meter for this, I've just pinged spokes in the past.

I guess it comes down to the high lateral stiffness of the carbon rim -- a fat one will be even stiffer.
Old 2019-08-10, 02:17 PM   #42
m00ms
Unicyclist

ive never built using a carbon rim but glad i stuck with ali by the sounds of it,im not realyy into weight saving and all that but even if i was my dt swiss 710 is only slightly heavier.
Old 2019-08-10, 02:31 PM   #43
m00ms
Unicyclist

just taken my hatchet out for its first ride!!

intial shock was the low tyre pressure and feeling the bike squelch around under you (never ridden fat bike either). played with seat height as i had it way too low then had about a half hour ride around in a car park near me that has a nice big slope to it and a speed bump on the entrance,a couple of ruts and is currently littered with tree branches.

i didnt know what to expect really with it,you do have to pedal it hard but its just like a bulldozer and once rolling it just wants to run everything over! first time with a brake for me which i like but can see it could get you in trouble easily.

on the whole its very different to anything i have ridden before but i like it and look forward to next time out on it.

Tags
hatchet, nimbus, rim