Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-07-29, 05:48 PM   #136
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Finally some good news.
Not only the problem is properly taken care of but you even have an ETA

If you really can't wait two more weeks, ski boots should do the trick
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-05, 07:35 PM   #137
mattc
Unicyclist

lowerstackmac, thanks for sharing your journey of learning to ride. It has been fun following along. It is not fun not being able to unicycle. I broke my fibula last November and was out for over three months.

Matt
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-06, 03:37 AM   #138
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Matt, I am almost three months too, it’s tough to wait it out as you well know. I am sooo close that I have been tempted to jump on my uni. I still have a bit more to go. I think maybe this week will be it, keeping my eyes crossed.
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-15, 12:34 AM   #139
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Well finally after being off the uni for three full months, I gave it a go today. I just used my 19” Athmos and it went well. I took it easy and did supported mounts as my foot is still a bit swollen. Only peddled around the yard for half an hour getting used to it again and practicing dismounting to the rear. I did try freemounting and succeeded after my third attempt. No extra pain resulted today, so all in all I’m thinkin it was a good start. I have no plan other than to mess around in the yard for a few days and see how things develop. Additionally, I don’t think I had gout in my injured foot. I believe it was just a case of old goat.
Old 2019-08-15, 01:58 AM   #140
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Congratulations, old goat! Now that you start riding again, beyond any loss of muscle tone in the "riding" muscles, you may find that your riding has improved. Why? Though you haven't been actually doing it, you may have been riding in your head, and thinking about all that stuff in this thread. That can actually work! Though usually it's more a case of taking a few days off, sometimes you just don't have a choice.

So I'm curious to know if you think you got any better, even though you weren't riding at all?

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-15, 05:38 PM   #141
pierrox
Unicyclist

Well done!
Also, do a couple of stretches after riding, that will help!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-16, 03:54 AM   #142
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Johnfoss, no I haven’t noticed that I am any better than before on the 19”. I am no worse though, whew. I have not tried my 26” yet, I will be able to notice any difference on it I think. I do know what you mean though and have experienced that with my banjo. After trying unsuccessfully to learn a song part for several days, then leave it alone for a few and then it comes. I guess you just subconsciously work things out that are important at that time.

pierrox, yes definitely stretching before and after. Today was just another series of practicing my skills around the yard for an hour. So far so good.

Tags
gravel, learning, ride