Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-07-31, 10:43 AM   #16
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAB View Post
I enjoy doing rolling hops over shadows of telephone poles, over manholes, etc, while going through town. The idea of prehopping intrigues me. I can hop the shadows when my pedals line up.....if they don't... no way. How does one pre hop? Every time I try it I instantly find that I have to keep rolling or fall on my face, so I always roll on. I can multiple hop when stopping at a stop sign, from full speed to a stop, but in this case my wheel never rolls, I keep it from rolling until my forward momentum is stopped. If I were to do this of course, I would no longer be doing an effective rolling hop. Secondly I don't know whether my pedals will line up or not until I am about 10ft from what I am going to hop and in order to get any distance I don't slow down. So advice please on this prehop idea or is it just pie in the sky. Do any of you actually do it?
What they are talking about is doing a very small rolling hop so that when you get to the spot where you are going to jump, your cranks will line up.

A prehop is usually done when you are static (but not always). It's so you can compress the tire more to get more rebound for a higher hop.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2011-07-31 at 10:47 AM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 06:35 PM   #17
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

I did a perfect pre-hop the other day (instinctively ) while I was riding muni. Worked better than I thought, and I hope to incorporate it into my riding more often, since I love to hop obstacles.

So to explain the pre-hop in this situation: There was a small tree across the pathway ahead, as I was approaching, I could tell that my pedals would not line up (by about half of a revolution) so I hopped early, landed in front of the log, and immediately bounced off my tire again, which made it so that I cleared the log.

I will try to make a short video clip later today if that still doesn't make enough sense.
Dane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 07:26 PM   #18
skilewis74

You could have instead hopped on the log and then over, using the same total # of hops. I don't know which would have been faster or smoother. I think this method would take less effort/be more consistent if it's close to your max.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2011-07-31 at 07:28 PM.
Old 2011-07-31, 07:42 PM   #19
aarons
Eating a sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIROX View Post
So far I have found that rolling over BIG logs are hit and miss, often I simply bounce off. Often I make it over
Could one realistically get enough air to get over a twenty to thirty centimeter obstacle with a rolling hop?
I don't see why not. You don't necessarily have to get the wheel all the way over the obstacle if you can get enough air to roll up on top of it and jump down the other side. The pedal position thing is a problem. It helps if you learn to hop with either foot forward.

I'm working on rolling hops now, and I'm still not very good at them. I can say that it's particularly satisfying when you do a good one and fly right over the obstacle. It may be worth learning just for that.
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 08:38 PM   #20
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilewis74 View Post
You could have instead hopped on the log and then over, using the same total # of hops. I don't know which would have been faster or smoother. I think this method would take less effort/be more consistent if it's close to your max.
I don't think I could have long-jumped that far. But yes it's the same idea, using a pre-hop to overcome the obstacle.
Old 2011-07-31, 10:56 PM   #21
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Hey guys, making a little video about the different obstacle techniques. Hopefully I'll get it up later tonight
Old 2011-07-31, 11:42 PM   #22
unibabyguy
In Gazz We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAB View Post
I enjoy doing rolling hops over shadows of telephone poles, over manholes, etc, while going through town. The idea of prehopping intrigues me. I can hop the shadows when my pedals line up.....if they don't... no way. How does one pre hop? Every time I try it I instantly find that I have to keep rolling or fall on my face, so I always roll on.
Perhaps you're not leaning back far enough on the pre-hop, so you wind up with your body too far forward when you land. I've started doing pre-hops and it's not hard once you can do even some small rolling hops. When you land you immediately have to re-launch yourself. I find it easier to practice on real obstacles (curbs are good to start with) to get the timing down. Also practicing static forward hops in quick succession (bunny hopping forward) helped me as well. You have to practice a bit (think long sessions instead of just randomly doing it when the mood strikes you).

Last edited by unibabyguy; 2011-07-31 at 11:44 PM.
unibabyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 01:51 AM   #23
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

A few techniques thrown together quickly. Most other techniques are just variations of these. Rolling pre-hop is at 0:40

Old 2011-08-01, 03:20 AM   #24
JacobSpera
Street

Rolling hops for muni is a very useful thing i have found. I cant hop near as high on my downhill uni as my street. There is another rider from canada that doesnt get on the forums much but he is an ABSOLUTE ANIMAL on his 24inch muni. He can roll hop up a 6 set and do a massive side hop as well.

Only problem with rolling hops for muni is lining up, the best thing to practice is hopping switch. It makes riding situations much more realistic on the trail.
Old 2011-08-01, 04:32 AM   #25
skilewis74

Is it this guy?

Him, Ryan Kremsater (from VanUni), and KH are the only Canadian 24 riders I can think of who are close to your level

Dane M - You sound just like me when I hear a recording of myself (funny how that always sounds different than what I hear as a talk )

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2011-08-01 at 04:37 AM.
Old 2011-08-01, 04:54 AM   #26
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilewis74 View Post
Dane M - You sound just like me when I hear a recording of myself (funny how that always sounds different than what I hear as a talk )
Yes I know right? It's such a strange thing. I sound so lazy, or like I am stoned or something.
Old 2011-08-01, 10:56 AM   #27
napalm
Because i can.

@ Dane M: Your vid is a good example of some of the different methods of clearing that obstacle. I would add the comment that the roll over can happen with virtually any pedal orientation if the rider prepares for it correctly.

@ skilewis74, The guy you linked to is Jean-François Chartrand from Canada- I don't think he is the guy Jacob is referring to.

He is, however, one of the guys I toured around the south Island of NZ with after the last Unicon (the other is another Canadian rider called Benoit Gonneville Damme). If you are interested you can see a video we shot of the rides we did in our road trip around the South Island of NZ here:

mark
napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 12:13 PM   #28
Jan Hulshagen
Unicyclist

He means danni from the forum: daniel courmeau
Jan Hulshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 12:51 PM   #29
surfer1024
Zachary Wenner

Send a message via Skype™ to surfer1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hulshagen View Post
He means danni from the forum: daniel courmeau
yea, he's an animal
Street 2011
surfer1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 01:14 PM   #30
Stabiliser
meep meep vroooom....

I somehow missed this thread when I was searching before creating this thread, my bad!
Not being able to align the pedals at the right distance from the obstacle is my main bugbear at the moment. I always end up doing a pre-hop or two (which feels like a triple jump!) or if there is space, swerve at an angle and hop more sideways than forwards.

The solution I conjured up in my head would be to have a clutch mechanism which would disengage the wheel from the pedals so you could coast the last few feet before the obstacle, and then re-engage to do the jump. This would also make it possible to coast down-hill. If anyone can find a way to build this but retain the splined hub and crank interface, I'm all ears!

Until then, the advice I got was simply to practice gauging the distance and timing it...

I just thought up an idea: do your pre-hop a full revolution or two before the obstacle, so you won't loose as much flow - this would require being pretty good at gauging the distance...
In fact what would be more useful than a pre-hop would be a mini hop which you can start from any pedal position, and land with your pedals aligned, and you would do this when you're exactly one or two revolutions away from where you want to take off.

I name this the..... "Align Hop", well, I'll see if it works first!

Will report back later

Tags
hops, muniwhat, realistic, rolling