Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-03-05, 11:09 PM   #1
TriniUni
Unicyclist

rollin hop

i just learned how to do a rollin hop but i can only get like 2 inches off the ground. can someone tell me how to get a little more height on the hops.
TriniUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 12:03 AM   #2
Myles
Unicyclist

try to compress the tire before you jump, once you jump pull the seat back up under you and try to lift it up in front of you a little. Just keep practicing it and you will get better. I started to do this a week or 2 ago and I can rolling hop 12 inches so far.
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 12:49 AM   #3
Biggestbtc
Stinky Cheese Man

Jumping involves a lot of coordination, much of which comes from practice.

Go get 'em.

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.
Biggestbtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 04:36 PM   #4
agentQ
Sam Haber

Send a message via AIM to agentQ Send a message via MSN to agentQ
A lower seat might help. You want the seat low enough you can give your knees some bend to compress the tire. Jump like you would normally jump pulling up on the handle. Do this over and over and over again.

Whats up with Street and Flat?
the Unicycle Lab
agentQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 05:53 PM   #5
Jerrick
King of Carnies

Send a message via MSN to Jerrick
Search for a Rolling hop tutorial on here. I wrote one out a while back which gives the basics of what you do, then its just down to practice to get bigger and better.
~Jerrick
Jerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 07:49 PM   #6
UniKid2
Wolfgang

Send a message via AIM to UniKid2 Send a message via MSN to UniKid2 Send a message via Skype™ to UniKid2
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...790#post841790

Here you go.
UniKid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 01:25 AM   #7
anton005
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggestbtc View Post
Jumping involves a lot of coordination, much of which comes from practice.

Go get 'em.
+1

I've been working on rolling hops for a month now on and off. It finally came together this week. I agree that a lot of it is getting the coordination together. I figured out how to rolling hop in a day, but it took a few weeks of practice (come on, I'm old ) to get the muscles to work together, then all of a sudden I could hop up 8 inches pretty easily.

Getting the motion of pushing down before your hop is huge, you can absolutely tell when you do it right, your hop becomes almost effortless.
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 07:10 PM   #8
Snip0075
Unicyclist

rolling hop

My hardest part isn't getting height or distance, I've been working on hopping in the right place... hopping after the ledge isn't very helpful. compressing the tire is good.
Snip0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 08:59 PM   #9
anton005
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip0075 View Post
My hardest part isn't getting height or distance, I've been working on hopping in the right place... hopping after the ledge isn't very helpful. compressing the tire is good.
Yeah, I totally agree. For something that seems pretty easy, there is actually a lot that goes into it. Riding around on the streets/sidewalks there is usually enough room on either side that you can get your cranks into the right position. I've been having a hard time off road, the trails are relatively narrow so I am usually not in the correct position to hop when I run up onto an obstacle. I'm usually happy to have a rest, so much of the time I just hop off. pretty lame

Last edited by anton005; 2009-12-02 at 09:00 PM.
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 12:37 AM   #10
delta 224

Location: New York, dutchess county 20"trials, 24 muni, 29" crossover, 36" nightrider w/ mountainuni disk brake, 5 foot giraffe x2
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
try to compress the tire before you jump, once you jump pull the seat back up under you and try to lift it up in front of you a little. Just keep practicing it and you will get better. I started to do this a week or 2 ago and I can rolling hop 12 inches so far.

yeah but does that work with a non trials uni
delta 224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
higher, hop, rollin, rolling