Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-06-28, 04:10 PM   #1
Jt00
Rgstērd sr

Trying to convince a friend to learn to ride

I'm trying to convince my friend to learn to ride a unicycle. I've already offered my old one (he'll have to get a new seat). What are some good reasons for riding a uni instead of a bike?
Old 2011-06-28, 04:21 PM   #2
BonzoisAwesome
Jacob

Send a message via Skype™ to BonzoisAwesome
Looking cool.
Old 2011-06-28, 04:29 PM   #3
Milosboy
Live every week like its shark week

Topic of conversation, you're introduced into an awesome, friendly community, it's a good way to get/stay fit, it's fun, it's a stress reliever, etcetera etcetera.

Ultimately, though, your friend isn't going to learn unless he/she WANTS to learn. I came to that realization after my sister finally agreed to let me teach her, but she just wasn't dedicated enough. You have to want it.
Happy cows come from California. Then at one point, PETA got into the mix and claimed that California cows were not happy. Of course, being the animal experts PETA aren't, they were unable to quantify any method of detecting cow happiness. - JF
Milosboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 01:27 AM   #4
maestro8
is what it is

How can we convince you to post unicycling threads in the unicycling forum, and not here in Just Conversation?
Old 2011-06-29, 02:23 AM   #5
Jt00
Rgstērd sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro8 View Post
How can we convince you to post unicycling threads in the unicycling forum, and not here in Just Conversation?
Ask nicely.
I do realize that unless they want to learn, they won't. Unicycling takes more perseverance than anything else I've done. He may not have what it takes. I just want someone around here to ride with, but I'm not sure any of my friends have the level of dedication required to initially learn how to ride.
Old 2011-06-29, 02:58 AM   #6
aarons
Eating a sandwich

I've tried a few times but haven't had any luck. I even sold my old unicycle to a co-worker, but they never did stick with it long enough to learn. Wish I still had that uni..
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 03:28 AM   #7
Jt00
Rgstērd sr

I think the reason for skateboarding's, biking's, scootering's, etc. popularity over unicycling is that they're so much easier at first. But unicycling has a lot more maneuverability and continuous challenges to keep you interested. Just something I noticed.

Also, I am officially offended by my computer's spell check. It doesn't recognize "unicycling" as a word.
Old 2011-06-29, 10:36 AM   #8
kamikaze
Stormrider

Send a message via ICQ to kamikaze Send a message via AIM to kamikaze Send a message via MSN to kamikaze Send a message via Yahoo to kamikaze Send a message via Skype™ to kamikaze
I've given up long ago. You'll never convince someone who didn't approach you about it in the first place.

Join Unicyclemap.com!
----
[ Karlsruhe/Germany - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
----
onewheeldave: deep in my heart I feel that unicycling was born of heroes and atheletes, not clowns and entertainers
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 12:41 PM   #9
AnimalCage
One-Wheeled Vehicle - Do Not Follow

I told my 17yo son that he could try it whenever I wasn't using it. He did surprise me one day and told me he had practiced for an hour when I wasn't home, and was dripping sweat. Got one full revolution, said it was a great workout. Haven't noticed the any movement on the seat post since. I wish he would ride, it would be great fun to have him as a riding buddy, but I can't push him into it.

Tags
convince, friend, learn, ride