Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-10-30, 02:34 PM   #91
Sanne.Kj
56 blood donations :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLeftFeet View Post
Thank you Sanne. Sometimes when I fail and fail to mount, I'm thinking of switching methods. Maybe try UniGeezer's method or the roll back mount, or even switch from left foot on back pedal to right foot.
I learned the rollback first. I still find static mounts kind of difficult. Do what is best for you.

Best regards,
Sanne
Sanne.Kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-30, 04:09 PM   #92
johnsjaunts
Unicyclist

Quote:
Thank you Sanne. Sometimes when I fail and fail to mount, I'm thinking of switching methods. Maybe try UniGeezer's method or the roll back mount, or even switch from left foot on back pedal to right foot. Nuts!!

As per the saying ... "too many cooks" ....
As someone who uses the right foot on the back pedal technique, I can say it works just as well for those who are more comfortable with such a configuration as the left foot back technique. Much like writing left-handed is way easier for people who are left handed and such.

To be honest though, unicycling has been all about comfort for me. The reason I start right foot back is because it feels more natural than left foot back for whatever the reason may be. I find that while I could likely get onto the unicycle with the left foot in the back it always feels unnatural and that tends to get in my head such that when I try to mount I'm already counting myself out and rather than try and stick the mount I'll step off at any complication. I am a huge advocate in finding what is most comfortable while on the ground so that the confidence is there while you push off and up and onto the unicycle. Switch things up and don't be afraid to come at it from a different angle. I support you (for whatever that's worth)
johnsjaunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-30, 05:37 PM   #93
Nero
NERO

Good luck on that new uni! Learning is a slow process at first but find a wall, sit up strait and stay with it!
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-31, 01:59 AM   #94
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Sometimes when I fail and fail to mount, I'm thinking of switching methods.
Counting only successful freemounts might give you a more positive outlook. Set a goal of 5 of them per day or something. It may take you more than 100 tries, but I bet it won't, and it will give you an "incentive" to succeed. If every time you practice, you know that you are in it for the long haul of 100 attempts, you might get bored and lose focus. Knowing that your freemounting practice drills are over for the day if you do 5 good ones, on the other hand, well, I think that could sharpen your concentration and speed up your progress. I have found that learning skills is best done in short sessions -half an hour or so- and practicing something incorrectly creates bad habits. Of course more practice almost always gets better results than less practice, but sometimes only a tiny bit better. Staying inspired can be important, and for that, sometimes less is more.

Hope this helps!
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-31, 09:53 AM   #95
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

I rarely try more than two or three freemount attempts in a row before moving on and trying something else, even if it is just walking for a while.

There is a danger of replicating failure by repeating too many times without some change.
Old 2019-10-31, 01:37 PM   #96
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Ok I will consider song's and OTM's suggestions and not worry too much about the #of reps. I will ride until I fall. Then attempt to freemount from the spot. If I fail several times, I will walk my uni back to a column, do assisted mount, and ride again.

p/s - my riding is much improved. I can go some distance (1300') without upd. I can do right/left turns as well, but its not pretty.
Old 2019-11-02, 01:15 AM   #97
song
Unicyclist

The best advice I have seen on the subject of turning came from ElpuebloUNIdo: accelerate and lean in the direction of your turn.

This technique is probably even somewhat applicable to riding a giraffe unicycle, though on the rare occasion that I ride a giraffe, I seem to fearfully regress to the grinding swivel turns of a beginner.
Old 2019-11-02, 02:56 AM   #98
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
If I fail several times, I will walk my uni back to a column, do assisted mount, and ride again.
I am interested in how that philosophy affects how much time you spend practicing free mounting.

If you practiced playing a musical passage incorrectly four times, then played it correctly on the fifth time, I would say that you played it wrong four out of five times. But I don't think the same applies to the unicycle. If you ride away from a mount on the fifth time, you've learned something that sort of erases all the incorrect times you did it. In other words, the first, second, third and fourth time don't count as "repeating failure". The difference between these two scenarios is that on the unicycle, when we succeed, there is a physical form of feedback to promote learning, whereas on the musical instrument there is only an aesthetic sense that something was done correctly.

To stop practicing a mount after several failed attempts seems worse than merely "cutting your losses". If you stop before succeeding, all you have to remember is failure.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-02, 12:01 PM   #99
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Today I managed 18 freemounts. Yee haaaa!!!

(18/100) he he he .....
Old 2019-11-02, 12:25 PM   #100
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
To stop practicing a mount after several failed attempts seems worse than merely "cutting your losses". If you stop before succeeding, all you have to remember is failure.
That is why I stop at two or three rather than "several" before the memory builds.

Sometimes I just walk a few metres and try again. It can be enough enough to break the failure loop.
Old 2019-11-02, 05:23 PM   #101
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
(18/100) he he he
You should have just done 10 and then spent the rest of your practice time learning to idle, but congratulations anyway! Freemounting ability doesn't go away. At this point, as long as you keep unicycling, your freemounts will continue to improve. Idling and hopping are like that too, once you learn. Other more obscure skills may need to be intentionally dusted off every now and then.
Old 2019-11-11, 10:49 AM   #102
Unigan
Unicyclist

Nice a Malaysian unicyclist, I wish I was riding unis when I was visiting KL would have made getting around so much faster.
Unigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-13, 12:31 PM   #103
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

song,

I need to learn freemount as that frees me to unicycle anywhere in the parking lot. Idling can ..... wait.

Unigan,

Ha ha ... a bit of a madhouse to ride on the roads here. Welcome aboard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TMWUj49PQIw
Old 2019-11-17, 12:30 AM   #104
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
I need to learn freemount as that frees me to unicycle anywhere in the parking lot.
Yeah, you're probably right. A lot of uni skills look easier and more closely related to each other in retrospect than they do when you are actually in the process of learning them.

Tags
omg