Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 129 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-10-15, 04:12 AM   #28861
saskatchewanian
ERIC P
 
saskatchewanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: La Ronge, Saskatchewan, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 6,315
Hey Habby! CONGRATULATIONS! Just let us know where and when

GILD, I have been in meetings all week and learnt that our national GIS and Fire Science divisions are collaborating with the South African government on improved fire detection technology. Apparently we will be able to get data from NASA's MODIS and VIIRS satellites in a more timely manner filtered by a more advanced jointly developed algorithm by going through the South African National Space Agency more rapidly than through our US partners.

There is also a joint project with South Africa to improve our understanding of fuel moisture levels in drought conditions, Something that I take is not a big issue right now?

I knew we had mutual aid and resource sharing agreements with ZA, but I didn't realize the level of technical knowledge sharing between our two countries fire programs.


Weather extremes seem to be getting to be more frequent. It's been a strange last couple years over here with the jet-stream getting to be progressively more "wavey" alternatively allowing arctic air further south, or subtropical air further north than "normal".


Our senior meteorologist gave the long term forecast for the province and I had to laugh a bit. It's kind of hard not to make fun of a forecast that is "40% that the mean winter temperature will be greater than or equal to 2.5 C cooler than normal, 30% chance it will fall within the climactic norms, and a 30% chance it will be warmer than normal. Most models agree it will be wetter than average, but there is a 20% chance that it will be dryer than normal in the North-East."
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton
saskatchewanian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 05:54 AM   #28862
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK
 
GILD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Age: 49
Posts: 16,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by habbywall View Post
Drive by posting. Just came here to tell everyone I got engaged last month, don't worry, you'll all be invited to the wedding.
Dude, that would be so kewl.

A bunch of strangers at one table, meeting one another for the first time ever.

And after every 20 comments, someone gets up and dances.

It'll be a hoot.
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 05:58 AM   #28863
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK
 
GILD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Age: 49
Posts: 16,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Hey Habby! CONGRATULATIONS! Just let us know where and when

GILD, I have been in meetings all week and learnt that our national GIS and Fire Science divisions are collaborating with the South African government on improved fire detection technology. Apparently we will be able to get data from NASA's MODIS and VIIRS satellites in a more timely manner filtered by a more advanced jointly developed algorithm by going through the South African National Space Agency more rapidly than through our US partners.

There is also a joint project with South Africa to improve our understanding of fuel moisture levels in drought conditions, Something that I take is not a big issue right now?

I knew we had mutual aid and resource sharing agreements with ZA, but I didn't realize the level of technical knowledge sharing between our two countries fire programs.


Weather extremes seem to be getting to be more frequent. It's been a strange last couple years over here with the jet-stream getting to be progressively more "wavey" alternatively allowing arctic air further south, or subtropical air further north than "normal".


Our senior meteorologist gave the long term forecast for the province and I had to laugh a bit. It's kind of hard not to make fun of a forecast that is "40% that the mean winter temperature will be greater than or equal to 2.5 C cooler than normal, 30% chance it will fall within the climactic norms, and a 30% chance it will be warmer than normal. Most models agree it will be wetter than average, but there is a 20% chance that it will be dryer than normal in the North-East."

We are still caught in a nasty drought, so the fuel levels during the drought will be VERY relevant around these parts.

I recently MC'd AGFO 2017, and Agriculture and Forestry Expo.
Complete with timbersports, the whole 9 yards.

The Timber industry is pretty labour intensive, and we are a labour rich country, so we need all the jobs we can create, so it makes sense for the Gov to look after Timber as much as they can.
Especially in our province of Mpumalanga.

I still reckon they should fly you out.
Complete with flaming chainsaw.

That might freak out the guys at Customs, a bit, but, you know?
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-19, 05:10 AM   #28864
saskatchewanian
ERIC P
 
saskatchewanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: La Ronge, Saskatchewan, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 6,315
.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton
saskatchewanian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-19, 05:51 AM   #28865
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK
 
GILD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Age: 49
Posts: 16,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
.
Never knew the artist in question.

Saw the statement his family posted on his Twitter acc.

That pic is heartbreaking.
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-19, 06:04 AM   #28866
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK
 
GILD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Age: 49
Posts: 16,263
I know the 'hat on the mic-stand' image from Lynyrd Skynyrd, following the death of Ronnie van Zant.

It remain extremely evocative.
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-24, 06:06 PM   #28867
Into the blue
Groovy!
 
Into the blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Rainy Wales
Age: 47
Posts: 9,973
Send a message via AIM to Into the blue Send a message via MSN to Into the blue
This popped up on my FB On This Day alert.
Still rankles.

Hi everyone!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper
I wuld get a 20' trialls uni prolly with a blu tiar.
Get splined an a KH saet or ur a pansy.
Get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
lol...awwsum.
Into the blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-25, 05:48 AM   #28868
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK
 
GILD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Age: 49
Posts: 16,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Into the blue View Post
This popped up on my FB On This Day alert.
Still rankles.

Hi everyone!
As it should.

Been 8 years?

And here we are, still (kinda) at it?

I like us.

Are you well?

Tried to call you once or twice, call didn't go thru, so I figured you must've gotten a new number or something?
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-25, 05:55 AM   #28869
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK
 
GILD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Age: 49
Posts: 16,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Into the blue View Post
This popped up on my FB On This Day alert.
Still rankles.
I'm just going to leave this here, for posterity, you understand?

#HerbForLife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54rqDh2mWA
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-25, 06:38 AM   #28870
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK
 
GILD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Age: 49
Posts: 16,263
Should really do the speed-corrected version as well, shouldn't I?

http://www.wlshistory.com/WLS30/
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 06:53 PM   #28871
William393
Supreme Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Happy Thanksgiving / harvest festival / start of the snowy season everyone!
USA Thanksgiving is 3rd week of November, day before Black Friday Holiday Shopping Insanity!! Does Canada do Black Friday?
__________________
The problem with the over-familiar, cliché-prone way of describing things, according to Alain de Botton: “Clichés are detrimental in so far as they inspire us to believe that they adequately describe a situation while merely grazing at its surface.”
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 06:55 PM   #28872
William393
Supreme Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by habbywall View Post
Drive by posting. Just came here to tell everyone I got engaged last month, don't worry, you'll all be invited to the wedding.
Have the wedding in NYC!! I'll unicycle for it!
__________________
The problem with the over-familiar, cliché-prone way of describing things, according to Alain de Botton: “Clichés are detrimental in so far as they inspire us to believe that they adequately describe a situation while merely grazing at its surface.”
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 06:56 PM   #28873
William393
Supreme Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by gild View Post
dude, that would be so kewl.

A bunch of strangers at one table, meeting one another for the first time ever.

And after every 20 comments, someone gets up and dances.

It'll be a hoot.
+1

Or someone gets up and swallows the knives.

Or starts juggling fire torches.

Or playing the bagpipe on a unicycle....
__________________
The problem with the over-familiar, cliché-prone way of describing things, according to Alain de Botton: “Clichés are detrimental in so far as they inspire us to believe that they adequately describe a situation while merely grazing at its surface.”

Last edited by William393; 2017-10-28 at 06:57 PM.
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 07:10 PM   #28874
William393
Supreme Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 290
List the way one nation or another romps!
The USA has so many parades because its how they celebrate being the world champions (like of baseball, football, basketball, rock & roll, uni basketball, Hollywood movies, Golden Globe, Broadway theater, Academy Awards, 10 APPLE STORES IN NYC so far, the list seems endless.
__________________
The problem with the over-familiar, cliché-prone way of describing things, according to Alain de Botton: “Clichés are detrimental in so far as they inspire us to believe that they adequately describe a situation while merely grazing at its surface.”
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 01:09 AM   #28875
Into the blue
Groovy!
 
Into the blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Rainy Wales
Age: 47
Posts: 9,973
Send a message via AIM to Into the blue Send a message via MSN to Into the blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILD View Post
As it should.

Been 8 years?

And here we are, still (kinda) at it?

I like us.

Are you well?

Tried to call you once or twice, call didn't go thru, so I figured you must've gotten a new number or something?
I'm grand thanks.
Been through a lot of changes in the last decade.
Used to be in the graphic design business, that went out the window when i was made redundant.
Took a year or two off to goof around, then got into retail more by accident than ambition.
Now I'm a duty manager in a local supermarket.
Still manage to get out on ther 29" whenever I can though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper
I wuld get a 20' trialls uni prolly with a blu tiar.
Get splined an a KH saet or ur a pansy.
Get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
lol...awwsum.
Into the blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
768, angrybirdsucksrealhard, blue blue, bluesopopular, gilby must delete this, gilby please delete this, gilby will delete this, i want blue inside me, i'm drunker than blue, intotheblue.is.sexy, intothebluemyhero, it wuz t*rry, itemno530, ivanmegadestroyer, most replys, noloitering!!!, reply, replys, return, spamtagsftw, stillpagedance, terry is the mind killer, terry.is.evil, terryreallydidkillmr, thevirginmaryisinblue!


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 32 (0 members and 32 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
You Rated this Thread:
Page generated in 0.49065 seconds with 12 queries