Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-11-25, 03:42 AM   #1
wobblysteve
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Adelaide SA Australia
Posts: 41
Does your spouse support or oppose your Unicycling

I have started learning to ride a unicycle recently and was not expecting the somewat negative reactions I get from my spouse about my new hobby.

I was wondering what positive or negative reactions other forum members are getting from their spouses, family and friends.

I'll start by saying that my wife's responses are overwhelmingly negative.
Some recent comments:-
1. You look like a complete idiot trying to balance that thing.
2. Your only doing this for attention... I'm going to ignore you...
3. When you have finished trying to be a Circus clown, can you please do something productive like mop the floors and do the vacuming.
4. Where are you going? You better not come crying to me when you break your neck!
5. How embarrasing, please dont ever mention anything about your stupid unicycle to my friends...
6. [Talking to my kids] - Yes, he bought a Unicycle, I'm afraid your father has developed dementia.

Last edited by wobblysteve; 2019-11-25 at 03:57 AM.
wobblysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 04:22 AM   #2
Albertosaurus
Dinosaur
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Biddeford, Maine, USA
Age: 60
Posts: 23
My wifes comments have also been overwhelmingly negative and similar.
Albertosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 04:57 AM   #3
JimT
Unicyclist
 
JimT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Age: 70
Posts: 418
I've had my wife for fifty years and had a unicycle for about sixty. She doesn't really have a leg to stand on and doesn't say too much. She knows that unicycles are a lot safer then training crazy horses (or mules).

JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 10:46 AM   #4
wobblysteve
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Adelaide SA Australia
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
I've had my wife for fifty years and had a unicycle for about sixty. She doesn't really have a leg to stand on and doesn't say too much. She knows that unicycles are a lot safer then training crazy horses (or mules).
Nice picture JimT. Lovely horse, or is he/she a mule?
Maybe I need to take up a real dangerous sport like Base Jumping.... Deaths per 100,000 population: 43.17. Odds of dying: 1 in 2,317. ...
wobblysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 05:00 AM   #5
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Burns Lake, BC, Canada
Posts: 332
I got a "Really?" in the beginning but that turned to support right away.
She liked it mostly because everybody was always watching me and not her.

Now we go for long distance rides with her on her mountain or fat bike and me on the uni.

She even let me buy my KH36 a month ago!
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 10:50 AM   #6
wobblysteve
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Adelaide SA Australia
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoeheadted View Post
She even let me buy my KH36 a month ago!
Nice... I better start saving up now... by the time I learn to ride maybe I could afford this beauty...
wobblysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 05:05 AM   #7
harper
768 - It's in your DNA
 
harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Age: 67
Posts: 9,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblysteve View Post
I have started learning to ride a unicycle recently and was not expecting the somewat negative reactions I get from my spouse about my new hobby.

I was wondering what positive or negative reactions other forum members are getting from their spouses, family and friends.

I'll start by saying that my wife's responses are overwhelmingly negative.
Some recent comments:-
1. You look like a complete idiot trying to balance that thing.
2. Your only doing this for attention... I'm going to ignore you...
3. When you have finished trying to be a Circus clown, can you please do something productive like mop the floors and do the vacuming.
4. Where are you going? You better not come crying to me when you break your neck!
5. How embarrasing, please dont ever mention anything about your stupid unicycle to my friends...
6. [Talking to my kids] - Yes, he bought a Unicycle, I'm afraid your father has developed dementia.
Your wife is correct on all 6 counts.
__________________
-Greg Harper

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 07:50 AM   #8
ruari
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oslo (Risløkka), Norway
Age: 42
Posts: 322
My wife doesn't really care either way but she does strongly object to the idea of my getting a penny farthing because it takes up a lot of space and she fully expects me to break my neck.
ruari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 09:18 AM   #9
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Murwillumbah, NSW, Australia
Age: 60
Posts: 1,131
My wife thought it rather odd when I bought my first uni at a garage sale for ten dollars. She was bemused at how I worked at it until I could ride. Once I could ride she asked where I would go with it.

Once I got got serious she noticed how good it was for both my physique and state of mind and became my biggest fan.

About eight months after I started I found out the national championships would be on in about a month. I expressed an interest in going to the event the following year and she said, "why not this year?". Then she organised the whole trip, flights, hire car and accommodation.

She loved watching the events, especially at the skate park and the high jump. We have been to three championships now.

I got a part riding a uni on stage in one of the shows she performed in when she told the director her husband rode a unicycle.

She did a film making course and her main project was "The One Wheeler", featuring me and my unicycles.

When I bought the Triton 36 and told her how much it cost, her response was "So?"

She didn't really like how much space the unicycles took up in the garage but was much happier when I built a hanging rack.
__________________
Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 09:29 AM   #10
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist
 
lightbulbjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 34
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
My wife thought it rather odd when I bought my first uni at a garage sale for ten dollars. She was bemused at how I worked at it until I could ride. Once I could ride she asked where I would go with it.

Once I got got serious she noticed how good it was for both my physique and state of mind and became my biggest fan.

About eight months after I started I found out the national championships would be on in about a month. I expressed an interest in going to the event the following year and she said, "why not this year?". Then she organised the whole trip, flights, hire car and accommodation.

She loved watching the events, especially at the skate park and the high jump. We have been to three championships now.

I got a part riding a uni on stage in one of the shows she performed in when she told the director her husband rode a unicycle.

She did a film making course and her main project was "The One Wheeler", featuring me and my unicycles.

When I bought the Triton 36 and told her how much it cost, her response was "So?"

She didn't really like how much space the unicycles took up in the garage but was much happier when I built a hanging rack.
She's a keeper!

My wife is occasionally bemused but always supportive. Sometimes she tells me I'm getting grumpy and sends me out on a ride.

I haven't convinced her to try unicycling yet. She happily rides our tandem road bike with me though .
__________________
Unicycling is the fountain of youth.
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 05:39 AM   #11
wobblysteve
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Adelaide SA Australia
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
My wife thought it rather odd when I bought my first uni at a garage sale for ten dollars. She was bemused at how I worked at it until I could ride. Once I could ride she asked where I would go with it.

Once I got got serious she noticed how good it was for both my physique and state of mind and became my biggest fan.

About eight months after I started I found out the national championships would be on in about a month. I expressed an interest in going to the event the following year and she said, "why not this year?". Then she organised the whole trip, flights, hire car and accommodation.

She loved watching the events, especially at the skate park and the high jump. We have been to three championships now.

I got a part riding a uni on stage in one of the shows she performed in when she told the director her husband rode a unicycle.

She did a film making course and her main project was "The One Wheeler", featuring me and my unicycles.

When I bought the Triton 36 and told her how much it cost, her response was "So?"

She didn't really like how much space the unicycles took up in the garage but was much happier when I built a hanging rack.
Wow what a great story OneTrackMind... I'm jealous...
wobblysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 02:45 PM   #12
pierrox
Unicyclist
 
pierrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Between Paris, Grenoble, NY and NC
Age: 49
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblysteve View Post
I have started learning to ride a unicycle recently and was not expecting the somewat negative reactions I get from my spouse about my new hobby.

I was wondering what positive or negative reactions other forum members are getting from their spouses, family and friends.

I'll start by saying that my wife's responses are overwhelmingly negative.
Some recent comments:-
1. You look like a complete idiot trying to balance that thing.
2. Your only doing this for attention... I'm going to ignore you...
3. When you have finished trying to be a Circus clown, can you please do something productive like mop the floors and do the vacuming.
4. Where are you going? You better not come crying to me when you break your neck!
5. How embarrasing, please dont ever mention anything about your stupid unicycle to my friends...
6. [Talking to my kids] - Yes, he bought a Unicycle, I'm afraid your father has developed dementia.
Time for a new wife!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 03:35 PM   #13
aj1500
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Savannah Ga
Age: 57
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Time for a new wife!
+ 1 there

I would have to fall in the category of my wife supporting my riding a uni.
she bought the first one for me after a told her I would like to try to ride again. She was more than OK with me getting the 2nd uni as I got to where I wanted to ride on the road a little but mostly wanted to be able to almost keep up with her when we ride together.
__________________
24" Torker LX
29" UDC Trainer
32" UDC trainer
aj1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 04:06 PM   #14
Richard C
cautious n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Age: 58
Posts: 69
I was a bit worried by my wife's reaction, and also not sure that I would stick with unicycling. So I left my new uni at my gym, where initially I practised once or twice a week after a gym session. My plan was to produce the thing, fully able to ride it. Well, it soon became clear that 30 minutes of practice two times a week was never going to get me anywhere, so I repatriated the uni and fessed up. She took it very well -- she didn't expect a unicycle specifically, but I have form for similar things. And she's been very supportive of me doing 5000 km (and counting) on two wheels this year. I think I really lucked out with my choice of spouse! The chances of getting her to give it a go are precisely nil. There was a bit of push back after uni #2. I may be able to justify 2 unis for each bike I get rid of.

Ladies, what do your other halves make of you unicycling? Puzzled? Supportive? Competitive?
__________________
20" Club (Orange, White Tire)
26" Nimbus Muni (Duro Wildlife Leopard | Schwalbe Crazy Bob 2.35")
Richard C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 04:53 PM   #15
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
 
wobbling bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: European Union (S-W)
Age: 71
Posts: 2,504
My wife is fully supportive.
- when I start being a little nervous she knows that if I go and have a ride I will be more "zen"
- she knows it helps me feel (and look!) younger (after all she also practices sports that help her feel -and look- younger)

She is just wondering where I could store my next Uni (our house is built on an old factory: we have plenty of room but we tend to overuse space!)

ah and yes: since I practice mostly muni she is sometimes worried that I may hurt myself in the woods. Oops the real problem is when I bring back mud to our house
__________________
One Wheel : bear necessity
(Abuello RodoMancat)

Last edited by wobbling bear; 2019-11-25 at 04:54 PM.
wobbling bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oppose, spouse, support, unicycling


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does your 36er fit in your 2014/2015 Subaru Forester? newob General Unicycling Discussions 21 2015-06-20 06:39 AM
Does free mounting or starting your first ride ever become 100%? Nate128 General Unicycling Discussions 15 2014-04-01 02:01 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2019 Gilby
Page generated in 0.14704 seconds with 12 queries