Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Challenge Each Other

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-08-06, 08:34 PM   #16
FoxxyD
Enemy of hoverboards everywhere

For what it's worth, I highly recommend the use of a handlebar for long distance rides, and I was a hard guy to convert. I was riding my 36" for many miles without one, but at the advice of some friendly nags on this forum I gave it a shot.

Let me say that after the adjustment I would never go back to a barless 36" if I had a choice. Many cite taking the stress off your seat, which has never bothered me, but the amount of leverage and control a handle provides is amazing. On hills, you can pull up a bit to give yourself more leverage, and when going faster in a straight line you can maintain more stability. And if you ever don't want to use it, just let go and suddenly you're back to normal unicycle mode.

Also, tire grab mounts are currently the only consistent (9/10 tries) way I can mount my 36". I'm just a little shrimp and I can barely even get on it otherwise. This video is pretty much exactly what I do. With that being said, if you have a buddy riding along with you, you can use their shoulder as a mounting surface.

Just be sure to ask them first.

Seriously excited to hear how this journey goes! Good luck!
Nimbus Nightfox 36" (114mm)
Nimbus Road 29" (102mm, Magura brake)
www.foxxyd.com
FoxxyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 11:38 PM   #17
Wizard
Unicyclist

Success!

I'm happy to report that my challenge was successful. I made a much too long and boring video about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWaeo7y2qZE.

Regarding self-mounting the 36", I'm finally getting the hang of that. Success rate is about 1 in 3, but that is much better than 1 in 100.

Regarding the handlebar, I had been waiting for unicycle.com to get some in stock for months and when they finally did, I got one. It took a little getting used to but I now like it.

Thanks again to everybody for your advice and encouragement.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-19, 07:06 AM   #18
JoanOliver

Re:

Thanks for reporting! The challenge was totally successful, I suppose.
JoanOliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50th, birthday, challenge, miles