Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-04-10, 12:11 PM   #1
Sponge
Unicyclist

Arrow G-Sport Taper Hex Nipples... for you weight weenies out there.

Quote:
Available Now! Each pack comes with 50 Taper Hex Nipples and a complimentary nipple key.

Aluminum nipples have been tried in the past as a way to save crucial “rotating weight” from bicycle wheels, but while the aluminum can be stronger than traditional brass nipples in pure-tension, they are also much softer, and it is all too easy to round them off with an ordinary spoke key. The Taper-Hex nipples use a tapering hexagonal shape to increase the thickness of the metal around the spoke, and the tapering shape also allows the key to slide down easily onto the nipple while also eliminating slop in the interface between parts. The result is a “perfect” connection that prevents deformation of the spoke nipple. The hexagonal head (rather than square) also helps to simplify wheel-building too. The key is designed to rotate in the tight spaces of a BMX wheel and it’s small enough to keep on your key-chain. 36 aluminum nipples weigh 0.6 ounces (16.5g) verses 1.3 ounces (36g) for normal short brass nipples.

» Proprietary taper nipple and key interface simplifies wheel building and maintenance.
» 7075-T6 aluminum.
» Black, Gold, Silver and Red various anodized.

Check out the flipbook for more information and pictures
http://www.odysseybmx.com/features/i...esAndTaperHex/
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 12:55 PM   #2
Fraggle
Unicyclist

Might try some of those when I rebuild one of my wheels, looks like the tool and the more snug fit onto the nipples should make for a stronger wheel build, rather than just rounding off the nipples.
Old 2009-04-10, 01:45 PM   #3
Ducttape
I unicycle for Donuts

Send a message via AIM to Ducttape Send a message via MSN to Ducttape Send a message via Yahoo to Ducttape Send a message via Skype™ to Ducttape
I just was scanning the thread titles and read this as G-Spot Tapper Sex Nipples. I was confused.... then I read it a second time and it made more sense. Cool stuff.
Ducttape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 02:33 PM   #4
Chapatt
Internet Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducttape View Post
I just was scanning the thread titles and read this as G-Spot Tapper Sex Nipples. I was confused.... then I read it a second time and it made more sense. Cool stuff.
I read the same thing! Maybe these companies are just trying to mess with us!! They come in tons of cool colors!! Ha ha!

Last edited by Chapatt; 2009-04-11 at 02:34 PM.
Chapatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 06:20 AM   #5
Cold blue steel and sweet fire

To be blunt, aluminum nipples are absolutely horrible as they are super weak, if you wan't to save weight get 15g spokes instead as alu nipples will break before the spokes do. (I know from mtb experierce, alu nipples lasted 2hrs on the rear wheel doing "regular" riding... perhaps the wheelbuild might have been poor due to a factory build, but still.)

Note: I'm not saying that 15g spokes are an upgrade...
412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 06:24 AM   #6
pedrotejada
Europe Winter RoadTrip coming soon!

Send a message via ICQ to pedrotejada Send a message via AIM to pedrotejada Send a message via MSN to pedrotejada Send a message via Skype™ to pedrotejada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 412 View Post
To be blunt, aluminum nipples are absolutely horrible as they are super weak, if you wan't to save weight get 15g spokes instead as alu nipples will break before the spokes do. (I know from mtb experierce, alu nipples lasted 2hrs on the rear wheel doing "regular" riding... perhaps the wheelbuild might have been poor due to a factory build, but still.)

Note: I'm not saying that 15g spokes are an upgrade...
My friend talks with several bike trials riders in Europe and as far they said, those new nipples are pretty nice! There are good alu nipple out there for some months I think, but a bit expensive I think!

I will try to know how his nipples are going (he bought some!)...

Brazilian Unicycling Team

Gobble, Gobble!
pedrotejada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 06:25 AM   #7
Ducttape
I unicycle for Donuts

Send a message via AIM to Ducttape Send a message via MSN to Ducttape Send a message via Yahoo to Ducttape Send a message via Skype™ to Ducttape
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrotejada View Post
My friend talks with several bike trials riders in Europe and as far they said, those new nipples are pretty nice! There are good alu nipple out there for some months I think, but a bit expensive I think!

haha nipples...
Ducttape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:

Ok, the ones i tried were DT's. Perhaps they have done something nice with these, but also people are different. Mine surviced for 2hrs WITH rear suspension on XC terrain (ok I was rough and i weigh +90kg), but still that was just silly... also it may have been due to a poor wheelbuild as I stated. But don't say I didn't warn you... ;-)

I hope you experience will be better than mine, cause I'm not ever going near alu nipples again.

Ducttape: Also you can get them anodized if they are alu, so perhaps red would be well suited if you twist then excessively?
Old 2009-04-12, 11:34 PM   #9
Sponge
Unicyclist

Quote:

These just came out in the BMX world just a few days ago, most US suppliers won't even have them yet, nevermind European ones!

However, I wouldn't mind them. But I'm not bothered about weight of nipples much at all. But I thought it'd be good to let those of you ultra weight weenies out there know about these!
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 11:48 PM   #10
pedrotejada
Europe Winter RoadTrip coming soon!

Send a message via ICQ to pedrotejada Send a message via AIM to pedrotejada Send a message via MSN to pedrotejada Send a message via Skype™ to pedrotejada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
These just came out in the BMX world just a few days ago, most US suppliers won't even have them yet, nevermind European ones!

However, I wouldn't mind them. But I'm not bothered about weight of nipples much at all. But I thought it'd be good to let those of you ultra weight weenies out there know about these!
Yeah, also wheel building those colored nipples would need some special attention ... I believe the color can easily come out...

Brazilian Unicycling Team

Gobble, Gobble!
pedrotejada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 10:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Yeah, also wheel building those colored nipples would need some special attention ... I believe the color can easily come out...
Also not that alu nipples always need special care taken even if they are not coloured.
Old 2009-04-13, 10:47 AM   #12
Fraggle
Unicyclist

Quote:
Also not that alu nipples always need special care taken even if they are not coloured.
Heh, yup, part of one of the purple nipples on my Profile wheel chipped off as I was tightening it. Sods law it was after I fitted the tyre and bunged the wheel in the frame, I couldn't be bothered to replace it, so I've left it on there for the time being untill the tyres off again.
Old 2009-04-13, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Also note that alu nipples always need special care taken even if they are not coloured.
EDIT: The letter e was out taking a walk but has returned now.

Last edited by 412; 2009-04-13 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Argh: Must not press wrong buttons... so I guess I've learned now the 2 wrongs don't make a right when it comes to forums :P

Tags
gsport, hex, nipples, taper, weenies, weight