Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-06-07, 07:45 AM   #16
jona
Registered Looser

Still riding my Oregon with a Lou. I love it. It's forgiving enough to allow me to ride off road without UPD's so much. Not on the blacktop at all though. Just a pain in the butt there. I've got others for that.
jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 07:59 AM   #17
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Got to test my new Nimbus Hatchet yesterday, and I love it. Beforehand I was a little worried about two of the bullet points in Siddhartha Valmont's list:

-you don't mind riding slower/have more exercise

It felt a little heavy the first 20 minutes, but after I got warmed up, I forgot about it. I discovered that even if it's harder work because of the rolling resistance and weight, the capability to roll over stuff also saves energy.

-you can manage feedback and steer the uni with a "strong hand"

This was my main concern, and I struggled a little bit in some situations. Even though the Surly Knard is a lot lighter I think the "steering with strong hand" is simlar, so I felt I was prepared for it.

I started out on my regular trail to compare the Hatchet to the Oracle 26. A lot of the technical stuff was doable on the Hatchet, but it suffers in the steep sections. The highlight of the ride was when I rolled over a (small) log, where I normally have to get off the uni.

Air pressure was 9 psi, which felt pretty good - I don't think I can have much less than that.
Attached Images

Old 2016-06-08, 02:48 PM   #18
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Glad to hear you like it. I personally find that fat unis have this little something of crazy like riding a uni has it too (double-crazy? ).

Anyway, not for everybody (like other kind of unis) but lot of fun when it matches.
Old 2016-06-08, 04:59 PM   #19
Monette
Unicyclist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
Got to test my new Nimbus Hatchet yesterday, and I love it. Beforehand I was a little worried about two of the bullet points in Siddhartha Valmont's list:

-you don't mind riding slower/have more exercise

It felt a little heavy the first 20 minutes, but after I got warmed up, I forgot about it. I discovered that even if it's harder work because of the rolling resistance and weight, the capability to roll over stuff also saves energy.

-you can manage feedback and steer the uni with a "strong hand"

This was my main concern, and I struggled a little bit in some situations. Even though the Surly Knard is a lot lighter I think the "steering with strong hand" is simlar, so I felt I was prepared for it.

I started out on my regular trail to compare the Hatchet to the Oracle 26. A lot of the technical stuff was doable on the Hatchet, but it suffers in the steep sections. The highlight of the ride was when I rolled over a (small) log, where I normally have to get off the uni.

Air pressure was 9 psi, which felt pretty good - I don't think I can have much less than that.
I like the uni rack you have for the two wheel. Thanks for the idea. Clever use out of the old bike collecting dust in my garage. A transport vehicle for the uni. I love it.
Monette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 06:20 PM   #20
UniMyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monette View Post
I like the uni rack you have for the two wheel. Thanks for the idea. Clever use out of the old bike collecting dust in my garage. A transport vehicle for the uni. I love it.
More here: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115350
Old 2018-04-10, 06:32 PM   #21
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

My Hatchet (26x4.8) arrived today. Weather after work was thunderous so I didn稚 go out.
The only bigger wheel I僧 used to is the KH 27.5, so it will be exciting for me to compare the two. I僧 really looking forward to tomaorrow. So curious!!!
I鼠l never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-11, 01:32 PM   #22
fetzenschorsch
И donˋt like Carpaccio tires.

New Hatchet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
My Hatchet arrived today.
Congratulation! Welcome to the club!

PS: Those Thunders didnエt stop me from riding my hatchet.
Old 2018-04-11, 03:07 PM   #23
Setonix
Unicyclist

Now a year or so after i bought the hatchet i find it gives too much friction. Also offroad. My goto uni is the nimbus oracle 29". I just try the hatchet every now and then for fun but it just drains my energy. Half thought of selling it but will prolly hold on to it.
Setonix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-11, 04:18 PM   #24
HKiviniemi
Unicyclist

What tire are you using? Jumbo Jim is the choice if you want less draining tire. Even Barbegazi takes way more energy to ride, even though their tread patterns are similar. I have stopped using Vee and Maxxis fat tires for longer rides completely now.
HKiviniemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-11, 06:06 PM   #25
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Now a year or so after i bought the hatchet i find it gives too much friction. Also offroad. My goto uni is the nimbus oracle 29". I just try the hatchet every now and then for fun but it just drains my energy. Half thought of selling it but will prolly hold on to it.
In my former sports life I used to be a long distance runner, so I am used to expending a lot of energy for hours. But you池e right - I already feel the difference to my KH27.5. And my core壮 a little sore.
I鼠l never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Old 2018-04-11, 07:01 PM   #26
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

I thought a fatty was something one smoked.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-11, 07:22 PM   #27
fetzenschorsch
И donˋt like Carpaccio tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKiviniemi View Post
What tire are you using? Jumbo Jim is the choice if you want less draining tire. Even Barbegazi takes way more energy to ride, even though their tread patterns are similar. I have stopped using Vee and Maxxis fat tires for longer rides completely now.
I used to have Jumbo Jims on my fatbike, but I had a lot of flats. Schwalbe told me they were original considered to be first equippment for new fatbikes (Easy rolling, low weight).
I think fat tyres are a lot of fun and of lot of workout. It`s just a matter of attitude.
I`m a fat tyred guy.
Old 2018-04-12, 04:21 AM   #28
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
Congratulation! Welcome to the club!
Thank you! I僧 sure we can get together for a ride this year.

Quote:
PS: Those Thunders didnエt stop me from riding my hatchet.
I僧 too chicken about possibly dangerous weather. Thunderstorms qualify as one of the very few reasons not to go out.
Old 2018-04-12, 06:51 AM   #29
UniMyra

I'll answer my own question: I am riding my fatty. I alternate between the Oracle 26 and the Hatchet. After 2 or 3 rides on one of them I feel like swapping to the other. They complement each other very well. I do however spend a lot more time on my 36'er now, which means less time for muni.
Old 2018-04-13, 07:09 AM   #30
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

You池e right about the friction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Had my first Hatchet trip yesterday, and boy, it痴 hard work. But it痴 just what I hoped it would be - I could ride puddles and sand and mud and leave a lot of interesting tracks where even b*cycleriders won稚 go.
7 km (half XC and half road) feel like 12 km on a KH27.5.

I found it easy though to keep a high pace (for me this is 95rpm).

Tags
fatty, riding